Negotiating with terrorists

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Back to negotiation:

Barely one hour into 'talks' the Iranian delegation flatly ruled out any possibility of suspending their enrichment program.
"Suspension — there is no chance for that," he said in the courtyard of Geneva's City Hall and venue for the convention.
"As our supreme leader (Ayatollah Ali Khamenei) clearly said, our path is very clear: We are not going to abandon our rights.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 362706.ece
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

there is probably nothing so meaningless as hour by hour progress reports on negotiations.

and countrer productive also.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I think that the news organization feel like they MUST report SOMETHING.

Sometimes, I think I am going to read something like who scratched his backside or how many sips of water someone took between sentences...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

solicitr

Post by solicitr »

More fruits of appeasement:
AMMAN: King Abdullah II was urged on Sunday to pardon a Jordanian soldier who is serving a life sentence for killing seven Israeli schoolgirls in 1997..."Following the recent release of Arab prisoners, we hope to see Dakamseh free again," they said, referring to Israel's prisoner swap with Lebanon's Hizbullah last week
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp ... e_id=94315
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So, just a question for my own edification...

Cis- and trans- perhaps have a different meaning to me as a biochemist than it does to geopolitical wonks like Jny and soli, but when you two are talking about Cis- and Transjordan, these area are cis- and trans- relative to what? It can't be just the river - given that Jordan is all on one side of the river, that would make is cis- to the Jordan river, but I'm inferring from the flow of this otherwise fascinating conversation that the Transjordan more or less equates with the current nation of Jordan. So... :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Jnyusa wrote: There is simply no conceivable way that a full-fledged army attempting to overrun that kibbutz and others like it, and continue on to Tel Aviv, running downhill all the way, would not have succeeded.
From the Department of History at the U.S. Military Academy:

I’ve never seen it seriously argued before that the regular armies of the Arab League were not in Mandatory Palestine in 1947-1948. Certainly, settlements that were attacked by regular Arab troops were overrun (eg: Kfar Etzion fell to the Arab Legion on May 13, 1948). Your analysis seems to leave out the regular Israeli forces, who were certainly capable of holding off the regular forces of the Arab League. Israel’s only defence wasn’t simply settlers hiding behind barbed wire in Kibbutzum.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

River wrote:So, just a question for my own edification...

Cis- and trans- perhaps have a different meaning to me as a biochemist than it does to geopolitical wonks like Jny and soli, but when you two are talking about Cis- and Transjordan, these area are cis- and trans- relative to what? It can't be just the river - given that Jordan is all on one side of the river, that would make is cis- to the Jordan river, but I'm inferring from the flow of this otherwise fascinating conversation that the Transjordan more or less equates with the current nation of Jordan. So... :help:
It does refer to the river.

‘Cis’ means ‘on the near side’ and ‘Trans’ means ‘on the far side’. For example, the Romans referred to ‘Cisalpine Gaul’ (Gaul on the same side of the Alps as Italy) and ‘Transalpine Gaul’ (Gaul on the far side of the Alps). ‘Transjordan’ refers to the land across the Jordan river from Palestine (in the historical sense), and so corresponds with the modern state of Jordan. The term Cisjordan wouldn’t be used today, but if it was it would refer to Israel and the Occupied Territories.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Ah, okay.

This is what I deserve for thinking of a river like it's a chemical bond. :P
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Thanks, Lord M.

In brief, River: Abdullah's original emirate of East Palestine (i.e. east of the Jordan River) was dubbed Transjordan, ie across-the-Jordan; when Abdullah annexed the West Bank in 1948 he changed the name to simply Jordan.

Jny- the British never intended to let *anybody* else rule the cis-Jordan. It had to pried out of the Empire's cold, dead fingers.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

What's stretching the page? Can someone fix it? Or is it just my computer?
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It might be the map, though for me things look fine.

The trouble with designations like "across", soli, is everyone needs a frame of reference first. This is where I got confused - are we talking across the Jordan relative to the Mediterranean or the Arabian Peninsula? Anyway, I'm straightened out now.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's the map, vison. But looking at it, I don't know that LM could have posted it much smaller and have it still be readable, at least at the resolution of my computer (type is tiny). Can we put up with it for seven more posts?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

You can repeat it as many times as you want, sol, if that makes you feel as if your version is correct.
Jny, for goodness' sake. Transjordan did *not* include any territory west of the river (the name's a clue) until Abdullah annexed most of what the UN partion had allocated to the Arabs of Palestine.
In 1950, Jordan annexed the West Bank, which had been under its control since the armistice that followed the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_I_of_Jordan

I don't know why you so stubbornly insist on denying an objective, verifiable fact.

Britain: Britain was fiecely opposed to the partition, and only massive armtwisting persuaded Atlee to so much as abstin. While after the war Britain was dealing with the Empire's breakup, at no time did the Brits ever hand nor did they ever consider handing off West Palestine to local rule.

Incidentally, the IDF was founded on May 26, 1948, in the midst of the war.
Their armed opposition to Jewish settlements in Palestine began at the very onset of Jewish immigration
If by that you mean organized masscres and pogroms......
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Jnyusa wrote: If the armies of surrounding countries had been similarly motivated, I do not believe for one minute that there would be a Jewish state today.
Based on Kfar Etzion (which involved Jordanian troops) I’d say that they were similarly motivated.
Jnyusa wrote: If the objective of the war is to take Tel Aviv, you don't start out by attacking Ein Gev or Ashkalon. There is no sense in wasting time on these settlements.
It’s a fairly basic tenet of military strategy, though, that you don’t leave isolated enemy strongholds behind you where their garrisons can cut you off. Besides, if the Arab League was trying to destroy Israel, it wouldn’t have been enough to simply take Tel Aviv – they would have needed to deal with all of the other settlements as well, or at least the major ones.

Did the armies of the Arab League actually stop of their own accord because they took all of their objectives? I know the Egyptians, at least, were only turned back by Israeli resistance. Had they managed to defeat the Jewish forces, I don’t see why they wouldn’t have kept advancing.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Jnyusa wrote:. . . . you have a very colorful (and militaristic) view of the glories of empire, Sol, but to actually be a long-term occupying force in another country carries with it a load of grief. Everyone but the Americans seems to have learned that by now, and we will learn too, the hard way just like everyone else.
As always, exactamundo.

I'm so glad you "came back" Jnyusa. :bow:
Dig deeper.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

we have a long-term occupying force in another country? Where?
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Jnyusa wrote:
sol wrote:ncidentally, the IDF was founded on May 26, 1948, in the midst of the war.
So what? The fact that they named it Israeli Defense after naming themselves Israel is a complete non-issue. These were the Haganah. They did not suddenly acquire guns and replacement troops and an air force on the day they started calling themselves the IDF. My father-in-law was still referring to himself as Haganah in 1980.

Lord M referred to the 'regulars' of the Israeli army fighting the 'regulars' of the Arab army, and there was no such configuration in 1948.
'Regular' as opposed to the ad-hoc groups of settlers which defended the Kibbutz. Certainly the map shows the IDF being divided into Division, Brigade and Regiment-level units.