BotFA professional reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Necromancer Rising

Re: BotFA professional reviews

Post by Necromancer Rising »

Two reviews added in RT.One negative from Film Journal http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/ ... 810471bafb

and one positive from Contact Music http://www.contactmusic.com/movie-revie ... ive-armies

Current RT score : 75%
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe you should write to RT and inform them of all the positive reviews from RT critics that you have gathered that haven't been added yet. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This (from the FJI review), is the most unintentionally funny paragraph that I have seen in a review so far:
Thus the bedraggled Gandalf battling spectral Nazgûl on a mountaintop with slim and blade-like elvish lords Elrond (Hugo Weaving) and Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), plus fellow wizard Saruman (Christopher Lee), already plotting his betrayal. The segment isn’t merely repetitive (mirroring the more taut and frightening hilltop Nazgûl skirmish from The Fellowship of the Ring), it serves no purpose in the overall film, except as foreshadowing for the original trilogy whose shadow looms too heavily in this imitative entry.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Necromancer Rising

Second review from Forbes is a rave. Very positive. Soon to be added in RT

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/ ... ic-marvel/

"'The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies' Is A Mythic Marvel"
Voronwë the Faithful

Very soon, apparently. ;)

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Necromancer Rising

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Maybe you should write to RT and inform them of all the positive reviews from RT critics that you have gathered that haven't been added yet. ;)
How can i do it Voronwë? I have my text ready but i do not know where to send.

The Second Forbes review has just been added in RT. Score 76%
Voronwë the Faithful

I was half joking, although I did write them last year for the same purpose, and eventually the reviews were added, although whether it was due to my effort or not is questionable. You have to through Flixter's "contact me" page:

http://flixster.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Good luck
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I have written to RT before, and received an actual response from a person!
Necromancer Rising

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I was half joking, although I did write them last year for the same purpose, and eventually the reviews were added, although whether it was due to my effort or not is questionable. You have to through Flixter's "contact me" page:

http://flixster.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Good luck
Done! :horse:
Voronwë the Faithful

Cool! Let us know if you get a response (I think I might have last year, but honestly I'm not sure).
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

I feel bad for the RT staff every time one of these big fan-driven movies come out. :D :D :D
Necromancer Rising

My text was just like this: "Missing published reviews for the movie The Hobbit:The Battle of the Five Armies" and i added the links.Nothing more :devil:
Passdagas the Brown

My guess is that the RT staff are used to far less diplomatic communications from fans. :)
Necromancer Rising

Undoubtedly
Voronwë the Faithful

Down to 74% with a not-too-negative (but negative enough) review from BuzzFeed added:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/ ... g-more-tha
Voronwë the Faithful

It a precipitous fall now, down to 72% with the addition of a very negative review from the New Statesmen: http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/201 ... obbit-film
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

From the BBC:
Looking at it that way, The Battle of the Five Armies is a success, because it stands as an ornate bridge between The Hobbit and the The Lord of the Rings. But as a stand-alone film, it’s not very compelling. And as an adaptation of Tolkien’s charming book, it’s a travesty.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If "charming" is the word they choose, it reminds me of Roger Ebert's complaint for TTT that "gentle Professor Tolkien" would NEVER have envisioned Orcs catapulting human heads into Minas Tirith. Only sleazy PJ could have done it . . . except. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Necromancer Rising

Down to 71% with a rotten review by UTV even though he considers it to be the best of the trilogy.

http://www.u.tv/blogs/B-H-Martin/Last-n ... 72f5077ec6
Passdagas the Brown

Yeesh. I was hoping this one would stay at 80% or so. There's still time for it to rise, I suppose, but not likely to go that high...