The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:An actual romantic relationship. From the IMDB description, it is only an affectionate friendship.
If that's all you are focusing on, fair enough, but to me the whole scenario seems lame - King doesn't think girl is good enough for his little boy, girl who has been toying with said prince's affections switches them to someone else, causing jealousy in jilted prince...etc...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I said I thought it was bad. Just not too bad. Of course, we'll have to actually see it to know for sure. I take that guy's descriptions with a grain of salt (after all, he has never read the book).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

And I suppose this Legolas-Tauriel-Kili plotline is far more interesting than actually developing the characters of all the dwarves, as PJ had said was so necessary...?

Two three-hour films, and based on a number of reactions already, neither of them have much at all in the way of dwarf character development.

Perhaps PJ was ultimately unconvinced of a lot of their acting? There are some very, very inexperienced actors in the dwarf crew.

ETA: One viewer suggests that Beorn
Hidden text.
is in the film for at most 4-5 minutes. I suppose that is because we needed a 30-minute fight sequence between Smaug and the dwarves, where they attempt to pour molten gold on him...
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, from what I can gather, the bulk of Smaug's screen time is one on one interaction with Bilbo, which I am thrilled about. But you are very welcome to focus on the negative, or perceived negative.

When did Jackson say that developing the characters of all the dwarves was so necessary? My recollection was that he has consistently said that the focus would be on just five or six of them, at the most (which has turned out to be, as expected, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Kili and Fili. Which makes perfect sense to me.

As for Beorn's screentime, that sounds about right.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

A number of people stated that the dwarf fight with Smaug is very long (and some said unnecessarily so).

The most negative reaction, for me, was a positive one. "It's basically a three hour action movie." Ugh.

PJ knows how to suck the lyricism right out of a story.

ETA: I'm starting to get into the managing expectations groove. This is good. Healthy.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, you are definitely going to convince yourself into hating it. ;)
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Yes, you are definitely going to convince yourself into hating it. ;)
You know better than anyone that that's not how I work. :)

I convince myself that I will hate it, and then end up at least enjoying 5-10%!
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Actually, from what I can gather, the bulk of Smaug's screen time is one on one interaction with Bilbo, which I am thrilled about. But you are very welcome to focus on the negative, or perceived negative.

When did Jackson say that developing the characters of all the dwarves was so necessary? My recollection was that he has consistently said that the focus would be on just five or six of them, at the most (which has turned out to be, as expected, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Kili and Fili. Which makes perfect sense to me.

As for Beorn's screentime, that sounds about right.
Beorn's screentime in relation to page-time in the book sounds about right.

But how does the Beorn page to screen ratio compare with the page to screen ration of the elven guard that has become Tauriel, or the page to screen ration of Legolas? :)

I find it so disappointing that really uninteresting characters like Legolas and Tauriel have such a significant role, while wonderfully evocative characters like Beorn are given a footnote. PJ's priorities are way out of wack, IMO.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:PJ's priorities are way out of wack, IMO.
viewtopic.php?p=275075#275075
Passdagas the Brown

Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy.

Someone at TORN (or came from imdb) who has produced a premiere ticket as 'evidence' is answering all sorts of questions. And a lot if it sounds bad. Really, really bad. Including jealous Legolas, and all sorts of other nonsense.

Also, it sounds like the opening will just be Bree. No flashback to Thrain, apparently.

Unless this guy forgot.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

I like the one about
Hidden text.
Bolg vs. Legolas
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy.

Someone at TORN (or came from imdb) who has produced a premiere ticket as 'evidence' is answering all sorts of questions. And a lot if it sounds bad. Really, really bad. Including jealous Legolas, and all sorts of other nonsense.

Also, it sounds like the opening will just be Bree. No flashback to Thrain, apparently.

Unless this guy forgot.

You mean the one I posted about in the other thread? ;)

viewtopic.php?p=275725#275725
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

And that we have been discussing all this time?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Here is a clip of Tauriel and Legolas deciding whether to defy Thranduil and go hunting for orcs:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/03/h ... loom-clip/

They settled on different takes than the ones they used in the previews.

If nothing else, this proves that the "Thranduil theme" is at most a generic wood-elf theme. Further, I think the particular clip we hear is actually from "Girion, Lord of Dale." If so, that shows the soundtrack is really all over the place. Edit: Yup, definitely from Girion.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sure I'll be crucified for saying this, but I quite liked that.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Do we have an emoticon for that? :halo:

(I actually found one, but decided it was a touch too tasteless. And I thought the clip was fine anyway.)
Voronwë the Faithful

You weren't who I thought would be doing the crucifying. ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Dave_LF wrote:Here is a clip of Tauriel and Legolas deciding whether to defy Thranduil and go hunting for orcs:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/03/h ... loom-clip/
Just to prove (if only to myself) that I have some willpower left, I'm not going to watch that clip! :P
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

How much willpower does it take to not watch a clip featuring only characters that you have indicated you don't want and don't like. ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Nowhere, ever have I said I don't like or want to see Legolas... Image

I've nothing against female elves, either, but the first IMDb guy's opinion confirms pretty what people were fearing...

Neither Tauriel nor Legolas contribute anything significant to the story...

Evangeline Lilly makes a pretty decent elf, its just that their story comes across as needless filler...

The Legolas and Tauriel storylines were very much a distraction.
~Diana Cortes