Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Ice is so pretty but so scary, as Prim says.

Nice pics, Northerner!

Lali
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Oh, this was a mini ice storm. 10 years ago we had a six day storm, took down the huge towers that hold the transmission lines and about half the state was without power for days. We lost ours for five days, had about 20 trees come down in the yard, one huge oak just missing the house by inches.
The National Guard was called in and power companies from southern states came to help restore power. It was a nightmare.

This website has pictures http://www.fortunecity.com/millenium/richie/113/ That first one is a road, believe it or not. They plowed the tree branches and fallen lines out of the way.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:shock: Wow! Yep, that's scary!

Well, here's a picture my daughter took last month when she, her sister, and Freddy went out "hunting." I think it's a very nice pic--moody, dark, etc. Dead Marshes, anyone? :)

Those are trees gnawed off by beavers. I have pics of the beaver lodge, too.

Lali
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Hope there weren't any dead faces in the water... :shock:

I like beavers, they're great engineers. They do make a mess of things, though, don't they? :P

I agree about ice storms...they turn the landscape into something magical, but they can be so deadly. Last year we had a couple ice storms, and I'd just sit and worry about my hubby and kids when they would head off to work.
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Here's a video taken during a Portland ice storm that I made my kids watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfjZlOSq2A
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I've seen that video before. Incredibly scary.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I may have gotten it from this site—I can't remember how I saw it. But it does a good job of conveying how totally uncontrollable a moving car is on slick ice. The take-home lesson: in those conditions, don't even try to drive.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

What a bunch of morons! :roll: Don't try to drive!!

That was scary.

Lali
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Unbelievable stupidity. I was in similar circumstances years ago, coming home from work. I got on the interstate connector, and noticed that cars were out of control. In the time it took me to process that, mine was skidding out of control, too. Absolutely no traction. I ended up in the breakdown lane and sat right there, watching fools trying to go up a little incline and slide back down. Sat there for a couple hours, when luckily the roadway warmed up enough and started melting.

Hate ice. Just hate it.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

See the full set of my Louisiana pictures here (they'll look a bit better on flickr as I used photobucket to resize them): http://www.flickr.com/photos/12514987@N ... 868244806/

Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Love how it looks like that cloud is caught in the treetops.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was thinking the same thing, Northerner!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Me too! That's awesome!

Lali
bigmcstrongmuscle

Post by bigmcstrongmuscle »

An landscape photo from a trip to New Mexico a few years back. Taken with a rather poor-quality disposable camera (from the ground, despite appearances), but I kinda like the effect it produced.

But to the wizard's eye there was a faint change, just a hint as it were of transparency, about him, and espeically about the left hand that lay outside upon the coverlet.
'Still that must be expected,' said Gandalf to himself. 'He is not half through yet, and to what we come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.'
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beautiful photo, bigmc! I had no idea any part of New Mexico was that green—I've never been there. It looks a lot like Oregon!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Beautiful, bigmc (big? mc? bmcsm?). And the graininess of the picture does give it an interesting effect.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

bigmc sounds too much like a certain sandwich. :wooper:

:wave: to the n00b with the neato name.

Love the cloud-in-the-trees pic, Eru!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

bigmcstrongmuscle

Post by bigmcstrongmuscle »

Most of the time, it ends up just being Big. :)

It's a few miles into the foothills of the Rockies. The mountains collect enough rainfall that it's actually quite verdant. The cowboy-movie rolling prairies begin about 20-30 miles from that spot.

Also, my other favorite from that set:

But to the wizard's eye there was a faint change, just a hint as it were of transparency, about him, and espeically about the left hand that lay outside upon the coverlet.
'Still that must be expected,' said Gandalf to himself. 'He is not half through yet, and to what we come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.'
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Gorgeous. I'm hoping to see the Southwest up close someday.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Nice pics, Big! And welcome to the board. :)

Lali