Tolkien quiz

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Tolkien quiz

Post by truehobbit »

Hey guys - is anyone with some really deep Tolkien knowledge around?

Here are some questions from a Tolkien quiz we (lhaewin and I) are doing on the Tolkien Day in Cologne:

1) Who is known to not have drunk beer and been a vegetarian?

2) Who did Galadriel want to be head of the White Council?

3) What do (first) gate guards and Gandalf touch when they meet outside the gate of Meduseld?

4)Where does Tolkien use the word "mountain-kings"?

5) What would Lotho have called himself if Bilbo had not returned from Erebor?

6) What are Drasils?

7) What is Sam Gamgee's eye-colour?

8) Who said about LOTR: "a very long and complex, quite bitter and very frightening adventure, nothing for children (if for anyone)"? (translated from German, so not sure about the actual wording!)

9) What became of Tifil?

10) Which prince of Dol Amroth (number) was Imrahil? (e.g. 4th prince)

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by truehobbit on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

That's a pretty tough quiz, Hobby.

I am certain I know the answers to #2 and #7, I think I know #5, and have a guess about #3. I have no idea what Drasils are or who Tifil is. Perhaps those are names appearing in the German editions but not in Tolkien's orginal? I could probably guess about #4 if the question were worded differently. Does where mean in what book, in what chapter of what book, where geographically in Middle-earth, or about whom?
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Hey, Tom, thanks for playing! :D
Yep, the guy at the Tolkien Society devises fiendish quizzes! =:)

"where" in question four means where in what book - i.e. title, chapter, and give the context a bit.

I hadn't heard them before either, but both Drasil and Tifil are the original words. :D

I just corrected an error in question 3 - it was printed like that on the questions sheet, but then we saw notices that it should be "gate guards" not "Hama"!
(And it was the trickiest of the questions. ;) )

And I think the way I phrased my caveat for question 8 was a bit misleading: the quiz took place in Germany, so the quote was in German, but that was a translation from the English, too!
So, what I did was to translate it back into English, but as I don't have the original English quote, I can't tell how close I got, so I thought I'd warn you that it's probably not a literal quote!

I'd been hoping I could get some answers here, before the end of the quiz, but there were only two hours left, so we didn't get to use our "ask a friend" jokers here. ;)
But people here can still have fun trying to find the answers. :)

Thanks to being allowed to google, lhaewin and I did really well - we came out on place six or seven out of thirty or so people. :D
(Of course, if we had been limited to what we actually know... :oops: ;) )

I'll wait a bit more before I give the results, so more people can have a try. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

I intentionally didn't provide answers because I didn't want to spoil it for anyone else who wanted to give the quiz a go.

I'm guessing, perhaps, that Drasil and Tifil came from HOME? I haven't read much of HOME that covers LOTR. I've read some of the one that covers FOTR, but stopped because I didn't want to start confusing what is written in the published LOTR versus what is in HOME. Perhaps I'll give them another try some day.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I think nobody else is playing, Tom. :) (Or maybe nobody else knows any of the answers? =:) ) And as some of the questions are hard, it would be ok to post ideas, I think. :D

Tifil is mentioned in Lost Tales, so you're close, but you're way cold with the Drasils. :D :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Tolkien quiz

Post by Alatar »

These are the only ones I think I know

Gandalf

The Hobbit

Master of Bag End
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Hey, Alatar! :hug:

What you said on 4) and 5) would have been my guesses, too - but they're wrong. :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

They're wrong??? :shock:
dunno about 5, but thats what I thought about 4 too...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Naturally, I had to google the answers I didn't know, out of curiosity. Here are two interesting sites I visited:

6) What are Drasils? See http://www.andreas333.com/eng/index.htm

9) What became of Tifil?
This site has lots of stuff on Maiar.
http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/enc ... cindex.htm
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

narya wrote: 6) What are Drasils? See http://www.andreas333.com/eng/index.htm
Wow.
So Drasil is Tree? Hobby?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

According to that site, drasil is either a horse or a wolf?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Hmmh, I think narya didn't want to give it all away with the links. ;) (Thanks! :) )
I don't quite know how they can help you with the answer, except to give you the meaning of the word drasil, which you can find there.
So, yes, one of your answers is right, Alatar!
It's a word from Icelandic, and yet another example of Tolkien using his incredible knowledge in clever and surprising ways. :)

(Mahima, I think you mixed up the meanings of the parts of the word. ;) Yggdrasil is the source word. Apparently, it can also be a mythological tree, but the syllable "drasil" has its own meaning.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

blah. get it off a link given by someone, and even then get it wrong. ;)
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I was posting the links mainly because they were so interesting. It's hare for me to believe that there are a lot of strange people out there, with arcane knowledge about fantasy characters that they spend hours on line talking about .... oh wait ....:D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

and linking them to their spiritual well-being. oh... wait!!! ;)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Yeah, bunch o' weirdos, the whole lot! :D

Ok, it doesn't look as if anyone was still playing or researching (maybe I should have stressed that this quiz was not about just knowing the answer, but researching it - though, of course, if anyone just knew any of the answers, so much more :bow: to them).

So, time to give the solutions! But, to avoid spoilers in case someone still wants to play, here are the results first:

As I don't know whether Tom and narya got the right answers to the ones they mentioned but didn't post (although I feel sure they did, but what can you do? :( ), the result is:

You guys got a whopping one question out of ten right! :P

(Hmmh, should I mention that team TORC got nine out of ten? :P ;) )

And the prize for getting it goes to Alatar!

Ok, and here are the answers:

1) Who is known to not have drunk beer and been a vegetarian?

The troll in "Perry-the-Winkle", of whom we learn that:
I steal no gold, I drink no beer,
I eat no kind of meat;

Answered correctly. (Gandalf)

3) What do (first) gate guards and Gandalf touch when they meet outside the gate of Meduseld?

Ash wood. Both the spears of the guards and Gandalf's staff are made of ash, as is said in "The Riders of Rohan" and "The King in the Golden Hall" respectively. (Textual evidence courtesy of scirocco. :) )

In FOTR, II, 10 - Frodo on the seat of Amon Hen.

Baggins-Sackville-Baggins

6) What are Drasils?

They are the horse-like creatures the goblins in "Father Christmas Letters" ride - "drasil" means "steed" in Icelandic.

7) What is Sam Gamgee's eye-colour?

Brown

8 ) Who said about LOTR: "a very long and complex, quite bitter and very frightening adventure, nothing for children (if for anyone)"? (translated from German, so not sure about the actual wording!)

Tolkien himself

9) What became of Tifil?

It's another name for Tevildo who became Sauron.

Who became Antonio Banderas.

Er, scratch the last bit. ;) :D

10) Which prince of Dol Amroth (number) was Imrahil? (e.g. 4th prince)

22nd

(Quiz questions courtesy of Maksatan of the German Tolkien Society, and my apologies for never remembering where the accents go on his name. :D )
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Well, actually, I knew 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9, but didn't want to spoil the fun by saying them out loud. :D

Really!
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Let's see, I knew #2, 7, and 8, and had a feeling about #9. (That's without using any reference materials such as books, websites, etc.)

I kinda like the Beren story with Tevildo Prince of Cats in the role that eventually became Sauron. IIRC Tolkien's plan was to turn Tevildo's tangles with Huan as the myth explaining the enmity between cats and dogs. Beren as an Elf, however, is not nearly so compelling as a story.
Last edited by Old_Tom_Bombadil on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Wow, narya and Tom! :clap:

I think it's lovely that you didn't want to spoil the fun for others who might have wanted to play, but with hardly anyone posting here, I don't think there was a lot of interest, and a bit of guessing and discussing the answers might have been fun. :)

But what's important is, you played and you deserved yourselves an award, too:

narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

OOOoooo shiny!!111