TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Dave_LF »

Afraid I don’t remember—I watched it quite a while ago and only dimly recall the plot at all at this point.
Snowdog

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Snowdog »

Just watched Transatlantic on Netflix over two nights, and thought it was really well done for a historical period setting.
Very 'Casablanca-ish' due to the same timeframe, and they did borrow off the movie some as well. Seven episodes well worth watching.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The (relatively) new Leverage is somehow even more implausible and over the top than the original, but it's a lot of fun nevertheless. And these days, the fantasy of the rich and powerful being held to an account is even more appealing.

Extra points for actually explaining a major point of Jewish practice correctly. Can't remember that even happening on mainstream TV.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Alatar wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 am For All Mankind is well worth watching. Alternate history where Russia won the Space Race.
A little late to the show, but hey, now I can binge watch 3 seasons at once! I've been watching two episodes per night with my hubby, and we've gone through Season 1 and 2 so far. We have Apple TV access for a short time. I can highly recommend the series. It started out in the 70s, with predictably misogynistic, white, straight , chain smoking, hard drinking men running the show. Having suffered as the unwilling female vanguard in my field back then (the token "Lady Engineer"), I can really relate to what the first female pioneers in NASA had to put up with (not to mention the Black, Latinx, and gay/lesbian engineers). The portrayal at the start is close to the real thing, but then the alternate history story line takes a decidedly better turn than what I had to lived through in the 70s and 80s. It gives me a little thrill every time I see a scene where there is a convocation of big-wigs in NASA and they all happen to be women! And they are all treated as esteemed colleagues, not window dressing! And their ideas aren't automatically discounted or talked down! Other than that, the multiple story lines are well done and engaging. The characters have depth and lots of internal conflict. I guess you could call it a Space Opera, though much of the drama takes place on Planet Earth.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We've been going through "Smallville" again... and I still can't help but boggle at how inhumanly pretty the cast is. I got curious as to how the guy who played Clark Kent aged- and he looks like an ordinary guy now.
440893548c8e2b93f5889cdb82.jpg
440893548c8e2b93f5889cdb82.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Anyone watching the new season of The Crown?
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Jude wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 am Anyone watching the new season of The Crown?
Yeah, watched the first four episodes they released.

I've been enjoying 'Morning Wars' more than I should. :D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cake Boss makes for nice undemanding watching for stressful days. It's like Godfather with the Italian family dynamics but with more cake and less guns.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

‘Murderbot’ Series From ‘About A Boy’ Filmmakers Set at Apple, Alexander Skarsgård to Star and EP

Of course it's on Apple TV. The one service I don't and wasn't planning to use.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sign up for a couple of months and binge "For All Mankind", "The Morning Show" and "Foundation" Its worth it for those.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, if you all like it when it comes out, that's what I'll do. :D

Here's a fanmade animated trailer that makes me wish they went for an animated adaptation.

SPOILERS through Exit Strategy

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We've been watching "Grimm" again. It's amazing how much we forgot about a show that aired only 10 years ago or so.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Alatar wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am Sign up for a couple of months and binge "For All Mankind", "The Morning Show" and "Foundation" Its worth it for those.
I concur. I've been watching Masters of the Air as well, but I like war flicks/series.

I also find that my Apple TV+ box works better than my smart TV for the Netflix, Amazon, Disney, ABC, & SBS apps.
--Bilbo Baggins
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw an ad for something on Apple TV that looked intriguing but now I can't remember what it was. :bawling:

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We signed up for Paramount+ this year, just to watch Jon Stewart on the Daily Show once a week.... and we've ended up hooked on the series "Picard". I wasn't expecting much, but it is actually quite well done. :)

My only quibble so far is a canon issue.
Spoilered for those who care:
Hidden text.
In the second season, Picard (and his people) go back in time to 2024 where he meets Guinan. My quibble is this: Guinan does not remember him from when they met in the Next Gen episode "Time's Arrow" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time%27s_ ... eneration) back in Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain's time. Guinan has been on Earth since then, so she should remember Picard from that time. Instead, she treats him as a stranger and never alludes to the time they spent together in 1893.

Stupid error. If anyone had been paying attention, they could have easily fixed that.
So, other than that, I'm quite pleased with the show so far.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It is a good show. I'm glad you are getting to see it.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I actually think Picard was dreadful, but the final Season was Fan Service-y enough to let me forgive them. Strange New Worlds is far superior to all other Trek right now (apart from Lower Decks)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched a couple of episodes of Lower Decks, but I got tired of it rapidly and dropped out. Constant, frantic attempts to be funny just fall flat after a while, and I found myself glancing at the clock constantly to see how much time was left. Not a good sign in a very short episode!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

If you're a hard core trek fan there's literally hundreds of tiny easter eggs and references. YMMV
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I don't know if I'm a hard core fan or not- but I did find some of the jokes that poked fun at things from the real series a teensy bit offensive. I can't remember an example but while the first incidence was shocking and (therefore) I laughed, repeated assaults against one of my favorite shows just kind of annoyed me.

All in all it seemed to be a poor imitation of John Scalzi's "Red Shirts" book, but with less purpose behind it. I guess I can't say "all in all" when I only watched 2 or 3 episodes.... but.... I just wasn't impressed. We might get back to it if my husband insists, but he didn't seem to mind dropping that series either. I guess I should add that I generally don't appreciate animated shows, either. I'm not sure why. I get better visuals in my head, I guess. If there aren't real people to watch, I'd rather read a book.