TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Impenitent »

There's really no gore. That's as gorey as it gets.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Guilty pleasure: much to my surprise, Vision TV here in Canada has started to re-run all the episodes from the ORIGINAL 'All Creatures Great and Small', starring Christopher Timothy and Robert Hardy!

I watched most of the original series, but that has not stopped me from enjoying the rerun I saw last night. My one problem with the original was the English accents and lack of subtitles. Robert Hardy, in particular, is hard to understand because he tends to speak very fast. I have watched some of the episodes on YouTube, but captions there are auto-generated, and the auto system can't understand him either! It sometimes doesn't even bother to provide captions for what he says!

So, VERY nice to have proper accurate captions for this show, which I've always loved!

The new one isn't nearly as good. They stray too far from the books, and try to match all the men up with women. I never bothered watching the second season.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's coming! This is the one story I really, really want to hear!

Four Seasons Total Landscaping Will Be the Subject of a New Documentary
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:04 am It's coming! This is the one story I really, really want to hear!
Why?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can't answer for Frelga, but I think just the plain silliness of the whole thing is funny. We all make stupid mistakes from time to time, but this .. is just funny and the company went with it, which was fun.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Why? Representatives of the sitting president conducted a post-election press conference in a parking lot of a landscape company, between a crematorium and an adult book shop, and you don't want to know how that happened?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

An old TORc friend put this on FB and I couldn't help but think of you Frelga. Annual holiday to add to our calendars? :rofl:
Attachments
4 seasons.jpg
4 seasons.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Celebrate with some autumn gardening!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I hope the FSTL Tamarian brought you something nice for the holiday.
Screenshot_20201108-112417.jpg
Screenshot_20201108-112417.jpg (74.39 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rofl:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Did anyone watch the show "Manifest"? I just watched the first episode and am not sure if it's worth getting into or not. It could be interesting, or... not?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Eeeeeee!

Not as thrilled with Malicia. She is not supposed to be cute and impish. She should be intense and judgemental.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

You know you're getting old when:
You rewatch the first episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... and not only were we both saying, "Aww, they're so YOUNG!" (about the teenagers) ... but we are also noticing that Giles is much younger than we remembered, too! :shock: I looked it up and he was only in his 40s when he had that role.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm currently binging on the series "Goliath", on Amazon Prime. It's about a sole-practitioner attorney who takes on a suicide-but-maybe-it-was-a-murder case against a goliath-sized weapons manufacturing company and its cabal of attorneys. All of the characters are deeply flawed, especially the lead (played by Billy Bob Thornton, who is my age, but appears to have much more self-imposed mileage on himself). There are no warm, endearing people in it, as of episode 4, but it is riveting courtroom/investigation/murder mystery drama.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Jude wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 am I'm several years late, but I'm absolutely hooked on Downton Abbey.

Any other fans here?
Okay, I got Britbox, so I could continue watching the original All Creatures Great and Small, and decided to give Downton Abbey a try.

WARNING - SPOILERS!!

I binged Season 1 and 2, and for the most part, enjoyed them. Then, I hit Season 3, and Harlequin Romance began to take over.

My suspension of disbelief also got suspended.
Hidden text.
You do NOT lose a baby by slipping and falling while getting out of the bathtub. There are thousands and thousand of women out there with unwanted pregnancies that have given this a try and will tell you it DOES NOT WORK.

The whole love triangle with Matt, Mary and Lavinia was a total turnoff. I was okay with it until -gasp-! Lavinia dies of the Spanish flu, plus a broken heart.

I also found it very hard to believe someone as level headed as Robert would fall for a housemaid, and almost have an affair with her. Then, the housemaid has to turn in her resignation to AVOID Robert!

Another huge turnoff was Ethel's situation with her pregnancy by the British major, who then totally abandoned her and the baby, and left them living in abject poverty. A very, very common story at the time, but still, it was so very unfair.

I skipped ahead to see what became of Matt, Mary and Richard, by reading the episode synopses. Another huge turnoff - the writers seem to be determined to not allow Mary any happiness in this life. And after surviving the war, Matt certainly deserved better!
Not going to continue to watch, though I LOVE the family dragon, Violet (played by the legendary Maggie Smith.)
Last edited by Sunsilver on Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Spoilers for Downton Abbey follow:
Hidden text.
If you watch to the very end of the series, Mary does eventually find happiness. It does take a while, though.

The situation with the British major abandoning her and their child to poverty is unforgivable, but sadly common at the time. It's good that they didn't pretend that the period was an idyllic Eden in which everyone was happy and we should all go back to the way things were because they were just better, dammit!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Jude, it reminded me so much of romance novels where you know the person is paired up with the wrong suitor, and doomed to unhappiness. Then, something happens - death, divorce, infidelity - and the wrongly paired person is free, only to have SOMETHING ELSE come along and prevent them from being with their Perfect Match.

I HATE that kind of writing! Save it for .99 cent romance novels!

But you got to admit, the series does give an very accurate portrayal of how things were for women at the time. In that way, it's similar to Titanic.

BTW do you think I should edit my post and put 'spoiler' tags in it?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I haven't read all those romance novels, so it was all new for me :P