E. Jean Carroll's lawsuits against Trump for Sexual Assault and Defamation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: E. Jean Carroll's lawsuits against Trump for Sexual Assault and Defamation

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I doubt she will actually do so, but she certainly could.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

We have a new candidate for biggest least surprise

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, I'm guessing we haven't seen anything yet. 😣
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm Oh, I'm guessing we haven't seen anything yet. 😣
In regards to what?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:04 am
RoseMorninStar wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 pm Oh, I'm guessing we haven't seen anything yet. 😣
In regards to what?
Payback for Ms. Carroll daring to challenge/take Trump to task for his behavior. He may or may not be able to do much legally, but that poor woman's life will be in danger because he will destroy her one way or another. He will not stop.

*edited to add: Not that I think he will directly, personally do anything.. he will just play the victim and claim how unfairly he's been treated yadda, yadda and let someone else do the deed/take the fall and he will claim innocence. Just like Jan. 6th.
Voronwë the Faithful

But what does that have to do with filing a Notice of Appeal?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:35 am But what does that have to do with filing a Notice of Appeal?
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:36 pm We have a new candidate for biggest least surprise
Not so much with filing the appeal, but biggest least surprise. Filing an appeal is just the beginning of his attacks on Ms. Carroll.
Voronwë the Faithful

Instead of filing a new lawsuit against Trump based on the vile comments that the twice-impeached, sexual assaulting, classified document hoarding and perhaps disseminating), justice-obstructing insurrectionist ex-president made on CNN recently, Carroll instead is moving to amend her original lawsuit that accused Trump of defaming her while he was president to add those comments as an additional claim.

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I appreciate George Conway explaining one possible reason that Donald Trump put up $5.5 million in cash while he appeals this case.
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump is now counter-suing Carroll for defamation for saying that he raped her, since the jury in the last trial did not find that he raped her.

Of course, that does not establish that she was lying, and I think that will backfire on him.

Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Feel free to move this to the Trump/Russia scandals or elsewhere, but thematically it may fit better here, (and Carroll's lawsuits are mentioned in the article's first paragraphs):

Newsweek: "Trump Made Shocking Comments About Ivanka, Says Ex-Staffer."

Now a word of caution about Newsweek: since it was purchased by IBT Media in 2013, it's no longer the same reliable mainstream news source that it once was. Many of its stories do turn out to be accurate, but others have never been confirmed by other outlets. And some Newsweek reports read as straight-up tabloid fare. (Politically it's all over the map.)

In this case, what's being reported is the content of a forthcoming book by Miles Taylor, who had served in the Bush administration and then in the Department of Homeland Security in Trump's administration, eventually as the DHS chief of staff until stepping down in September 2019. Taylor is best known for writing an anonymous 2018 New York Times op-ed titled "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration," which was followed, shortly after his departure from the Trump administration, by the anonymously authored book A Warning. His forthcoming book Blowback is also the source of the Rolling Stone report yesterday about Trump aide Stephen Miller asking military officials if drone strikes could be used against migrants. Here are the relevant bits in the new excerpt, which concerns sexist remarks Donald Trump is alleged to have made while president:
"When we were with him, Kirstjen [Nielsen, the Director of Homeland Security] did her best to ignore the president's inappropriate behavior," Taylor writes in his book. "He called her 'sweetie' and 'honey,' and critiqued her makeup and outfits."

After a crass comment from Trump, he recalls Nielsen whispering to him: "Trust me, this is not a healthy workplace for women." Nielsen has been contacted for comment.

He also recalled that Kellyanne Conway, who served as senior counselor, had once referred to Trump as a "misogynistic bully" after a meeting during which he had "berated" several female leaders in the administration.

Trump had lashed out at Nielsen and other White House staff about the border during that March 2019 meeting, according to a source familiar with the incident.

A source in Conway's office denied she made the comment. "That is a lie," the source told Newsweek. "Despite trying to resuscitate the 15 minutes of fame, Miles Taylor should have stayed 'Anonymous.'" ...

"Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump's breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter," Taylor writes.

"Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was 'a very, very evil man.'"

Trump's spokesperson has been contacted for comment. Kelly, who was White House chief of staff from 2017 to 2019, has been contacted for comment.
Trump had made some inappropriate comments about Ivanka before becoming president.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I completely forgot that Julia Ioffe was fired from Politico in December 2016 for making a crude tweet about Donald and Ivanka Trump.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Trump had made some inappropriate comments about Ivanka before becoming president.
There's even a video of him doing exactly that, so it's obviously happened on more than one occasion.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Back to the actual topic of this thread. Two new developments.

First,
@johnson_carrie
NEW: The Justice Department tells a NY judge it has reversed its position due to legal developments & new facts, and says it has determined former President Trump was *not* acting within the scope of his office when he made statements that allegedly defamed E. Jean Carroll.

And second,
@lawofruby
CARROLL UPDATE: As expected, E. Jean Carroll has moved to dismiss Trump's counterclaim against her based on the jury's unanimously finding only that he sexually assaulted, not raped, her.

I will be surprised if Judge Kaplan does not grant this motion, and I think there is a good chance that Trump's lawyer will be sanctioned yet again.