E. Jean Carroll's lawsuits against Trump for Sexual Assault and Defamation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: E. Jean Carroll's lawsuits against Trump for Sexual Assault and Defamation

Post by Sunsilver »

I think he will still continue to verbally defame Carroll, because, as someone said earlier, he prefers the court of public opinion to the court of law. He needs to be gagged! :rage:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

What does "moving for a judgement as a matter of law" mean?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

A bunch of exhibits including excerpts from Trump's deposition have been publicly released, and have been posted in bite-sized bits. Here is one where he discusses the Access Hollywood tape. There is a lot to unpack, but perhaps most extraordinary is that Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, gives Trump an explicit opportunity to state that he did not really mean it, and he refused to do so.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I guess women 'all look alike' and we should be so honored (*GAG*) that such a STAR would grope us. :puke:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:05 am
Judge isn't fooled by Trump & he's calling his bluff.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Helen Kennedy yesterday pointed out that in that deposition, Donald Trump (who attempted to overthrow the U.S. government in 2021) not only mistakes E. Jean Carroll for the woman he was later married to, Marla Maples, but he also seems not to recognize the woman he was then married to, Ivana Trump.

After his attorney, Alina Habba, corrects him regarding Carroll, he then points to Ivana and asks, "Who is that?" Habba replies, "That's your wife." Then Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, asks, "The woman on the right is your then wife, Ivana?" And Trump replies, "I don't know. This was the picture." He adds, "It's very blurry."

Obviously this is a huge gift to the plaintiffs, who had no way of knowing that it would go so badly for him: note how after Trump misidentifies Carroll as Maples, no one says anything for five seconds, and then they ask him to confirm, and he does! He's even a little bit dismissive about it: "That's Marla, yeah. That's [snorts], that's my wife." I think Kaplan introduced the picture into the deposition merely to prove that Trump had met Carroll before he (allegedly) raped her.

(Christopher Orr: "If Joe Biden had two ex-wives, and failed to recognize EITHER ONE correctly in a photo, it would lead the news for a week.")
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump had no intention of showing up he only wanted to play the victim card- the 'I wanted to but the the left-wing Trump hating judge wouldn't give me time to get there/appear'. I'd say the judge had his number.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Does the name George Conway really mean a lot to people who don't follow political news?
Voronwë the Faithful

I am pretty confident in saying that no, it is not.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I see that Joe Tacopina argued that the following text message sent by E. Jean Carroll's friend Carol Martin is "game, set, match" in the case against Carroll's case:

Who knows how the jury will see it? But to me it seems obvious that "too much celebratory stuff over something that hasn't really happened" is not a reference to the rape in 1996. You wouldn't "celebrate" a rape.
Voronwë the Faithful

In response:

Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yup.. he's gonna play that card even though the judge explicitly tried to prevent him from making that exact claim. Trump is banking on the court of public opinion, victim-hood, poor-me grievance.
Voronwë the Faithful

This does not sound encouraging for a unanimous jury (one reason that I usually try to keep my cases out of federal court is the requirement for a unanimous jury in civil cases). Click on the tweet to see the full list, including the last one, a 31 year old security guard from the Bronx who claimed to avoid the news but is "informed mainly from podcasts such the one hosted by right-wing provocateur Tim Pool." Of course, there must be a reason why Carroll's attorney's didn't use a peremptory challenge on him, whether it is just that there were too many others that were even worse, or because there were other things that he said that made them more comfortable with him.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've never been in a jury pool but I can't imagine how I'd answer some of those questions. "I'm mainly informed by people from my Lord of the Rings messageboard" :whistle: :rofl:
(just kidding, sorta) :D
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

There are others reporting that that list is incorrect and that the Tim Pool juror (#72) was not selected. Not sure who's right.
pool.png
pool.png (73.54 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Edit: Also seeing this list. They almost match, but disagree on 81 vs. 82. But neither includes #72. I don't know what to make of that (reshuffle? typos? alternates?)
pool2.png
pool2.png (176.3 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
Last edited by Dave_LF on Tue May 09, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:36 pm This does not sound encouraging for a unanimous jury (one reason that I usually try to keep my cases out of federal court is the requirement for a unanimous jury in civil cases). Click on the tweet to see the full list, including the last one, a 31 year old security guard from the Bronx who claimed to avoid the news but is "informed mainly from podcasts such the one hosted by right-wing provocateur Tim Pool." Of course, there must be a reason why Carroll's attorneys didn't use a peremptory challenge on him, whether it is just that there were too many others that were even worse, or because there were other things that he said that made them more comfortable with him.
Tim Pool once was a left-wing activist who participated in Occupy Wall Street in 2011, but he grew reactionary over time, and in 2020 he supported the reelection of President Donald Trump (who later tried to overthrow the U.S. government). It appears that among Pool's other fans was the Nazi who shot fifteen people in Allen, Texas a few days ago, and Pool himself is pushing the claim that the killer is the product of a CIA psy-op. I hope Dave's source is right that this (potential?) juror was not selected.

If the hangs, do you think E. Jean Carroll would try again?