Daily Dracula

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Daily Dracula

Post by Inanna »

So, in my understanding - the castle could only be entered at a specific time? Hence all the driving around?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Did anyone get May 6? I didn’t. :(
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oooh. What is this? I just happened on to this thread.. it didn't show up earlier in my new posts for some reason.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:So, in my understanding - the castle could only be entered at a specific time? Hence all the driving around?
Something to do with midnight?
Inanna wrote:Did anyone get May 6? I didn’t. :(
They only send chapters on days when something happens in the book. I suppose Harker didn't write in his journal on the sixth?
RoseMorninStar wrote:Oooh. What is this? I just happened on to this thread.. it didn't show up earlier in my new posts for some reason.
Join us, Rose! The link is in the first post, and there are only a few short chapters so far.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I signed up for it. We'll see how I do. I believe I read it once, years ago.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Reading this reminds me a lot of Tolkien. People say "that's such a trope" but only cause Stoker and JRRT invented them!

Its difficult to pretend we don't all know Dracula and read this as just an older gentleman in an ancestral home. We fill in the blanks immediately.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My favorite comment on yesterday's part:
@PoyoKingKirby wrote:
Jonathan: This Count Dracula is strange! He has no reflection and he has VIOLENT BLOODLUST. Also, possibly worst of all, he wouldn't have breakfast with me. #DraculaDaily
Another comment pointed out that after discovering that the Count has no reflection, Harker's first concern is, how is he going to shave now that the count tossed his mirror.

Harker said he's going to rely on his brain, and I'm kinda worried about that, TBH. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I signed up for emails, but I'm not getting them and they're not in my spam. Hmm. I'll catch up from the archives page.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Does anyone else follow along on Google Maps when reading about a journey? I like to do so.

Frelga, where are these comments??

May 5. Journey to the castle: What was the purpose of the castle driver going in circles? What was the blue light the driver got out of the carriage for and what did he do? Was the journey delayed/he was kept up til morning to ensure Jonathan Harker would sleep during the day?

May 8 Chapter III. I presume Dracula, in his recount of ancient battles and the struggles of the Szekely people, is implying he is thousands of years old?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose, it's the hashtag #DraculaDaily on Twitter, which is often entertaining and informative, with cool fanart. There are a lot of comments about Jonathan being very impressed by the Count's strong hands, but that's fandom for you. :er: :spin:
RoseMorninStar wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:16 am May 8 Chapter III. I presume Dracula, in his recount of ancient battles and the struggles of the Szekely people, is implying he is thousands of years old?
I assumed he is meant to be the historical Vlad Dracula, so he'd be about 500 years old.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I presumed Vlad the impaler as well, however there were a line of Vlads and the one in the book speaks of 'we' which had new wondering. The history he speaks of goes back more than 500 years. I'll have to re-read that part and see how it fits in history and keep that in mind.

I'm not on Twitter, but yeah, I can imagine how the fandom is. 🧛
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 am So, in my understanding - the castle could only be entered at a specific time? Hence all the driving around?
I was wondering the same thing. Either that or he wanted to keep his guest up long enough that he'd have to sleep during the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Or the wolves were stopping him.

Also this is what Pratchett was referring to in “Children of the Night”, I did wonder about that phrase used by Lady Margolotta.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I did a little sleuthing and it appears our question might be answered in an upcoming chapter.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:Or the wolves were stopping him.

Also this is what Pratchett was referring to in “Children of the Night”, I did wonder about that phrase used by Lady Margolotta.
I need to reread Carpe Jugulum after this.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Lol. Yeah. I’ll join you.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I came across an article that suggests the inspiration for Dracula may have come from Irish myth. Interesting, but I find it difficult to believe that Stoker wouldn't have been aware of some of the Count Dracula myths/legends/superstitions given the locations at the beginning of his novel.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are lots of similar myths around Europe, with variations. The Irish myth is somewhat similar to the vurdalaks I've mentioned.

As Terry Pratchett wrote, "In Ghat they believe in vampire watermelons, although folklore is silent about what they believe about vampire watermelons. Possibly they suck back."

Now that we've met Mina, I get a pretty clear idea how that relationship works.

Jonathan: I am in agony of indecision. Whatever shall I do?

Mina: I made a 10 step, 5 year plan, and I am on step 3 already.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:56 pm Jonathan: I am in agony of indecision. Whatever shall I do?

Mina: I made a 10 step, 5 year plan, and I am on step 3 already.
LOL.

I am almost certain I read Dracula once upon a time but I'm not remembering it so far. Or perhaps I read Frankenstein? I certainly watched plenty of old horror movies as a kid. Stoker knows how to write a horror story.

Oooh The Family of the Vourdalak by Alexei Tolstoy translated into English online. (short story).
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Alatar wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:02 am Reading this reminds me a lot of Tolkien. People say "that's such a trope" but only cause Stoker and JRRT invented them!

Its difficult to pretend we don't all know Dracula and read this as just an older gentleman in an ancestral home. We fill in the blanks immediately.
This is probably the most disappointing thing about reading Dracula today. The story is so culturally-entrenched and the character so iconic we never get to experience the first part as a mystery as Stoker wrote it (and Harker would have experienced it).