Daily Dracula

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Daily Dracula

Post by Jude »

The lady in Hampstead Heath - is that Lucy? :shock:

Edit: this was written before I read today's installment.
Last edited by Jude on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 pm The lady in Hampstead Heath - is that Lucy? :shock:
I do believe so, but I'm not sure why the children are calling her the 'blufer lady'.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Daily Dracula

Post by Inanna »

“Beautiful lady” pronounced as bloofer lady.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Today I learned that candle drippings were referred to as "sperm" in Victorian times.

Just when I thought I had the reproduction process all figured out...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:12 am Today I learned that candle drippings were referred to as "sperm" in Victorian times.

Just when I thought I had the reproduction process all figured out...
:rofl: I had to do a double read on that line figuring I'd glossed over something. :D
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't know if Lally is reading along with us, but she posted this on FB :
refill.jpg
refill.jpg (81.69 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose :rofl:

I forgot - how is Dracula able to operate in daylight now?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:57 am Rose :rofl:

I was wondering the same thing. I thought he could only be active at dark and back in his coffin before sunrise.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:05 am
Frelga wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:57 am Rose :rofl:

I was wondering the same thing. I thought he could only be active at dark and back in his coffin before sunrise.

Edited to add:
I was curious so I went a-looking. From Wikipedia:
Limitations of his powers

Dracula is much less powerful in daylight and is only able to shift his form at dawn, noon, and dusk (he can shift his form freely at night or if he is at his grave). The sun is not fatal to him, as sunlight does not burn and destroy him upon contact, though most of his abilities cease.

The sun that rose on our sorrow this morning guards us in its course. Until it sets to-night, that monster must retain whatever form he now has. He is confined within the limitations of his earthly envelope. He cannot melt into thin air nor disappear through cracks or chinks or crannies. If he goes through a doorway, he must open the door like a mortal.
— Jonathan Harker's journal, Dracula, Chapter 22

His power ceases, as does that of all evil things, at the coming of the day. Only at certain times can he have limited freedom. If he be not at the place whither he is bound, he can only change himself at noon or exact sunrise or sunset.
— Mina Harker's journal, Dracula, Chapter 18

Later interpretations of the character, and vampires in general, would amplify this trait into an outright fatal weakness, making it so that even the first rays of sunrise are capable of reducing a vampire to ash.[citation needed]

He is also limited in his ability to travel, as he can only cross running water at low or high tide. Owing to this, he is unable to fly across a river in the form of a bat or mist or even by himself board a boat or step off a boat onto a dock unless he is physically carried over with assistance. He is also unable to enter a place unless invited to do so by someone of the household, even a visitor; once invited, he can enter and leave the premises at will.[28
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm still not sure why Dracula was strictly nocturnal in his own home, but now can operate all day.

The story is getting very Victorian.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:36 pm I'm still not sure why Dracula was strictly nocturnal in his own home, but now can operate all day.

The story is getting very Victorian.
I agree. On both counts. (pun intended)

What I gleaned from Wikipedia is that when he is awake during the day and transforming to fog, wolf, bat, etc.. it greatly weakens his power(s). It does come off a bit too convenient/contrived.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Daily Dracula

Post by Alatar »

Coincidentally…

A poetically sapphic interpretation of the classic tale, Van Helsing's Dracula follows Van Helsing after she receives a mysterious invitation to an ominous dinner where the Countess Dracula steals Van Helsing's lover and lures Van Helsing into a psychologically tormenting and sensually seductive trap. Van Helsing is faced with a decision: cross over fully into Dracula's dark and twisted lifestyle or walk away and leave her lover behind.

Van Helsing's Dracula is a circus dinner theater experience produced by Sarah Mann and Madmann's Playground. The show features an 8-person all-female circus cast, 4 live musicians, and a curated 3 course Romanian-style menu. The original story was written by Katie Rediger and Corrin Evans, and is accompanied by an original classical gothic score composed by two-time Emmy-award winner Hummie Mann for violin, harp, keyboard, and percussion.

Van Helsing's Dracula opens Saturday, Oct 21 with subsequent shows on Nov 4, Nov 11, and Nov 18 at Vatican Banquet Hall (6913 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, CA 91405) from 6-9pm. Tickets range between $225-325 depending on proximity to the stage and level of interaction with the performers. The show is appropriate for ages 16+ and includes haze, flashing lights, and simulated blood sucking.

A 10% discount on ticket tiers 1, 2, & 3 is available for the first two performances (Oct 21 & Nov 4) for those who show proof of blood donation attempt at an American Red Cross blood drive site. Email draculasharem@gmail.com with proof of donation attempt.

The evening includes a 3 course Romanian-style menu designed by Chef Anne Apra:

First Course:

Harvest Salad: Mixed Field Greens, baby kale, charred chickpeas, dried cranberries & toasted pepita seeds with dark balsamic vinaigrette (GF & Vegan)

Main Entree:

All dishes will be served with traditional Ghiveci: Romanian Ratatouille (roasted eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini).

Meat Option: Dracula‘s Char-Grilled Robber Steak-on-a-Stake Skewer: cubed beef tenderloin, thick cut bacon, mixed bell peppers, red onions & smoked Hungarian paprika with Caramelized garlic smashed Yukon gold potatoes (GF)

Chicken Option: Romanian Paprika Roast Chicken over Mamaliga: crispy-skin roasted chicken coated in a smoked paprika-honey glaze served over a Romanian maize porridge (GF)

Vegan Option: Hungarian Hot & Sweet Paprika Hendl: Sweet onions, cherry tomatoes, Porta bella mushrooms, red & yellow bell pepper with fresh herbs over Yukon gold potato dumplings (GF & Vegan)

Dessert:

Red Wine Poached Pear w/ Coconut Creme Anglaise & fresh raspberries (GF & Vegan)

Please note: the menu items includes vegan and gluten free options, however substitutions are not allowed. We will do our best to accommodate allergies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've not yet finished the book, but that appears to be in keeping with the barely disguised sexual fantasy with which Dracula was intentionally and originally written.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Are Lord Godalming and Harkers in different places? I thought they all went together to Romania? I wonder if the crew of the Czarina Catherine suffers the same fate as that of those on the Demeter.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Jonathan Harker stayed behind, I thought. Mina went with them.

Or no…. That doesn’t sound right either.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So the telegram was from Lloyd’s. What was that? Anyone remember?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What was Lloyd's, you mean? They were the original insurance underwriter for the sea trade, and as such had information on where all the ships were. There's a lot of interesting lore about them.

The entire main cast has one brain cell between them, and Mina carries it.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah right. I forgot about that.

And lol!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:48 pm
The entire main cast has one brain cell between them, and Mina carries it.
LOL.

You mean the poor helpless bundle of Victorian womanly virtue that shouldn't bother her silly little head? /sarcasm
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, she does have a man mind, apparently, but given the abismal performance by the men so far, that's just adding insult to injury.

No offense to Mr. Stocker, but Van Helsing is what happens when someone tries to write a character who is supposed to be much more intelligent than they are, while also trying to prevent this alleged intelligence from interfering with the plot.

Imo, the reason Sherlock Holmes is so popular is that Conan Doyle is as smart as his character.