Stephen Colbert to produce Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Stephen Colbert to produce Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, I did do a search to see if there was somewhere else I could put this without starting a new thread!

It amazed me to find out how many references there were to Colbert on HoF, but given what a major Tolkien geek he is, I guess I shouldn't have been all THAT surprised.

Anyway, here's the scoop! :D https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/stephe ... VwV-6qFyZ8
Colbert will now executive produce the potential series under his Spartina production banner. Spartina joins Skybound Entertainment and Vincent Newman Entertainment (VNE) on the series version of the beloved fantasy novels, with Skyboudn first announcing their intention to develop the series back in 2016. The books have been cited as an influence on “Game of Thrones,” with author George R.R. Martin recently stating he wanted to see the books brought to the screen.

“George R.R. Martin and I have similar dreams,” Colbert said. “I’ve carried the story of Corwin in my head for over 40 years, and I’m thrilled to partner with Skybound and Vincent Newman to bring these worlds to life. All roads lead to Amber, and I’m happy to be walking them.”
Last edited by Sunsilver on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Stephen Colbert to produce Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

Post by Inanna »

I haven’t read this!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

This series isn't in any of my libraries thru Libby. I might have to break down and get an actual, paper, book from an actual, brick-and-mortar, library. :P Meanwhile, I've added 3 of his other books to my increasingly improbable "to be read" list.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have this edition... somewhere. At least I think I still have it.

In this case, it is perfectly appropriate to judge a book by its cover. ;)
51NsXwDGPoL._SL500_.jpg
51NsXwDGPoL._SL500_.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 7277 times
I'm not surprised they got around to adapting it. It's a good multi-season show fodder.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But is it any good?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That cover is definitely putting me off. I second Al’s Q.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I haven't read it, or at least, I don't recall reading it, but that cover has definite Tarzan the Ape-Man vibes. I downloaded a Tarzan novel for .99 cents recently, and couldn't finish it. It was something I would have enjoyed as a kid, but not as an adult.

Anyway, book/cover...not gonna judge without more info!

Here's a taste of it - you can read a sample:

E-book is $7.36 Canadian.

Al, to answer your question, Zelazny won six Hugos and three Nebula awards over the course of a very long career! :shock:

Edit: okay, due to Corwin's memory loss, that sample doesn't really tip the reader off as to what is really happening. Here's a description of the second book in the series, which gives you a much better idea of what to expect:
The Guns of Avalon: Across the worlds of Shadow, Corwin, prince of blood royal, heir to the throne of Amber, gathers his forces for an assault that will yield up to him the crown that is rightfully his. But, a growing darkness of his own doing threatens his plans, an evil that stretches to the heart of the perfect kingdom itself where the demonic forces of Chaos mass to annihilate Amber and all who would rule there.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sunsilver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:00 pmI downloaded a Tarzan novel for .99 cents recently, and couldn't finish it.
I read all the John Carter of Mars books a few years back and really enjoyed them, as a curio.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In this case, the cover reflects more vibes than the plot, although fighting magic evil cats is a real scene in one of the books.

I think most people here would enjoy reading it at least once.

It's got the political power struggle in a magic land theme, which is probably the part that inspired Game of Thrones, but with less gore-and-sex, and with a sort of dimension travel aspect.

Amber is the "real" land and the main characters are able to navigate the Shadows - adjacent realities that differ more or less from Amber, including our own world.

I only read the first two books, which focus on Corwin's struggle to take power in Amber after his amnesiac exile and then him discovering a greater threat to all the worlds.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I can't find a copy at any of my Libby libraries either. I'll have to download a sample on Kindle.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can get it from my library in print (all 10 novels in one!) Is it worth the read?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For free? Sure! It's fun.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yup. Free loan, physical copy. They must be short novels if all 10 are in one book.
My heart is forever in the Shire.