Chaos in Congress

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Chaos in the House

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gaetz reportedly wants an adjournment until Monday. From CNN: "After Rep. Matt Gaetz voted "present" in the 14th ballot for House speaker, Rep. Kevin McCarthy went over to talk to the Florida congressman.

Gaetz pointed fingers at McCarthy and when McCarthy walked away, Rep. Mike Rogers lunged at Gaetz."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Saw a report about ten minutes ago (before the clerk announced the results) that Matt Gaetz wanted to adjourn until Monday.

After the clerk announced that no one had won the ballot, Kevin McCarthy's ally Patrick McHenry asked to adjourn until Monday. They're voting now.

The clerk isn't in as control as she was previously. She was being audibly prompted, and she hasn't used all the customary usual language we've heard several times before.

Matt Gaetz said a couple months ago that he'd "rather be waterboarded than vote for Kevin McCarthy."

(Sorry, some of this overlaps what V has posted.)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Video of the tense moment here and below (key moment starts at the 1:30 mark):

Edited to add that Sam Stein of Politico observes that many Republicans are worse at math than me: "As others have noted, the weirdest part is that House GOPers stood and clapped Gaetz when he cast his present vote as if they were completely unaware that he'd just pulled the entire rug out from under them. So bizarre."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Costa:
Congressman Hudson has his hand on Rogers’s face as he tries to restrain him from Gaetz… this was no joke. I watched it inside the chamber.
What a circus. :nono:
Last edited by Frelga on Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The votes on the motion to adjourn changed after time expired.

It was 218-215 in favor of adjourning with one not voting.

Then it was 217-217, which would mean no adjournment.

Now it's 226-208 against adjourning. Wait, now it's 230-204. Wait, now it's 232-202. Wait, now it's 235-199. What the hell?

Edit: Now it's 246-188 against. Why did so many Republicans vote for it and then change their mind?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

With this much resistance and concessions, I would think this would mean a very weak and ineffectual 'leadership'. What a mess.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It seems Kevin McCarthy may have struck a deal with Matt Gaetz?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Screenshot for posterity. MTG on the line with TFG.
Screenshot_20230106-203914.png
Screenshot_20230106-203914.png (827.46 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The final vote against adjournment was 279-155. And they're nominating for the fifteenth ballot.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

AP photographer Andy Harnick got a different angle on that heated moment at the end of the 14th ballot:

Voronwë the Faithful

CNN is reporting that Gaetz is now going to vote for McCarthy. It makes no sense.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Andy Biggs voted present this time. Last time he voted for Jim Jordan. I think Kevin McCarthy finally does have it in the bag.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am switching between Costa and Jorts the Cat for commentary. Costa is on the scene but Jorts is funny.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

20230106_205828.jpg
20230106_205828.jpg (330.1 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Check out what Katie Porter is reading. Subtle indeed.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:54 am CNN is reporting that Gaetz is now going to vote for McCarthy. It makes no sense.
Reportedly Donald Trump spoke with both Matt Gaetz and Andy Biggs during the motion to adjourn. Is Trump the kingmaker after all?
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:00 am Check out what Katie Porter is reading. Subtle indeed.
That is hilarious!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:42 am In the course of nominating Hakeem Jeffries, Pete Aguilar reminded everyone that this is the two-year anniversary of January 6th and that quite a few people who voted to support the insurrection are in the House. He's right, but I wonder if it will play like Adam Schiff's reference to "head on a pike" in Donald Trump's first impeachment trial: as an excuse the holdout Republicans can use: I would have held out but then the Democrats insulted me (by telling the truth).
That was prescient commentary by Aguilar, given what happened at the end of that ballot.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Wait, how many Republicans can vote present before Jeffries wins?

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Just a few hours ago, Matt Gaetz sent out a fundraising email that said, "Kevin McCarthy will never get my vote for Speaker."

And Gaetz voted present, so I guess the suckers who gave to him won't get their money back. There are five present votes so far. That reduces the total from 434 to 429, of which McCarthy would need 215. He'll get at least 216, so this saga is finally ending.

Edited to add: Olivia Beavers of Politico says that Gaetz had indeed finally agreed to vote for McCarthy (in exchange for what, I wonder?) but after Andy Biggs and Eli Crane, both preceding him in the roll, flipped from voting for others to voting present, Gaetz didn't need to vote for McCarthy, so he voted present again.