Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:11 am Seems like as good an explanation as any:
http://smbc-comics.com/comic/artificial-incompetence
... I noticed how not one option was "maybe we shouldn't do this at all"??
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's humans for you.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:34 am That's humans for you.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time
Sadly, so true.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

"Don't eat the fruit of that tree"

excitedly: "oooh, what tree, where!?"
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Might be too early to cheer but...
Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:
Dave_LF wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:11 am Seems like as good an explanation as any:
http://smbc-comics.com/comic/artificial-incompetence
... I noticed how not one option was "maybe we shouldn't do this at all"??
Excuse me? Did you not see the fact that just before the problem zone, we get robots dealing with laundry?? Laundry! What could be better?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It'll be a sweet 15 minutes, that's for sure
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is a very good point.
@RachelBitecofer
The day @elonmusk declared war on "wokeness" business idea because that is @Tesla's entire consumer base."

I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:39 am This is a very good point.
@RachelBitecofer
The day @elonmusk declared war on "wokeness" business idea because that is @Tesla's entire consumer base."

I found him paling around with Kutchner & the Saudi's to be a bit of a head scratcher too.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:This is a very good point.
@RachelBitecofer

I know that it has completely killed R and my positive inclinations towards a Tesla. I hope someone else comes up with a nice electric car soon. Nissan needs to launch an Infiniti-like version of the Leaf. R & I are big Nissan lovers. (He from his time of working with that firm’s robotics team donkey years ago. Me from the trusty second hand Nissan I drove back & forth nyc to penn state)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 are both lovely Electrics.

And a comparison...

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Al!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My current potential midlife crisis car is the electric Mustang. But the Nissan is probably more practical. :blackeye:

My co-worker gave me a ride in her tesla this spring, and she was preening a bit. Not surprising, when gas was $6/gallon. The other week at the holiday webinar,T when we had a highlight of the year slide show, she felt the need to apologize for the Tesla in her vacation photos. "Yeah, we bought it before Elon went crazy." And I don't even think she's a very online person.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ordered by Elon: Exclusive-Twitter removes suicide prevention feature, says it's under revamp

He claims that it was removed, in part, because self-harm is down since he took over. Also, after this story came out he claims the feature is being revamped but there have been reports that no such thing is underway (70% of Twitter workforce is gone, including the department which would have handled such things). Talk about a god-complex.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There's lots of good buzz about the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Inanna.

I am currently hoping Tesla just boots Musk as the CEO. I'm sure it will be a very messy process but the rest of Tesla's shareholders can't be happy with Musk using the car company to fund his social media addiction.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:09 pm I am currently hoping Tesla just boots Musk as the CEO. I'm sure it will be a very messy process but the rest of Tesla's shareholders can't be happy with Musk using the car company to fund his social media addiction.
I can certainly speak for one of them, and they are livid.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Marcy Wheeler notes here that while the curators of the "Twitter files" fail to grasp the import, the most recent series in their project of releasing some of that company's internal communications reveal that in 2020, Twitter declined to provide the United States' National Security Agency with confidential data the NSA requested that, per this article published two days ago in the Washington Post, Elon Musk is obligated to provide to his Saudi and Qatari investors: by virtue of their having invested more than $250 million each in Musk's purchase of the company, they are entitled to "confidential company information" -- something the Biden administration has flagged as worrisome.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That Dima Medvedev (currently deputy chairman of the Security Council of Russia) got drunk again and went on a tweeting spree is predictable. What's Musk's excuse?
20221226_153652.jpg
20221226_153652.jpg (198.39 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
20221226_153655.jpg
20221226_153655.jpg (202.37 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

F'ing train wreck.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'd say Medvedev paired his vodka with some LSD if he thinks Texas is going to return to Mexico...
When you can do nothing what can you do?