Elon's Twitter

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Elon's Twitter

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:22 pm The sneetches are so mad today.
For those not keeping track (and believe me, I can understand not doing so): starting in 2009, Twitter designated some of its users as "verified" by appending a "blue check" (actually a white check mark on a blue star) to their usernames. The company's process for identifying users to verify was never clear -- there was no official process for users to request verification until 2021 -- but it was mostly provided to celebrities, politicians, journalists, and organizations (the very first blue check was for the account run by the Centers for Disease Control). The goal, broadly speaking, was to assist the public in differentiating posts by genuine public figures from posts by impostors or parodies.

After Elon Musk purchased Twitter last fall, he announced that the verified blue-checked status would become available for anyone to purchase at a rate of $8 per month. He subsequently announced that "legacy" blue checks would be removed, meaning that everyone who wanted to continue to have verified status would need to pay for it. That policy went into effect around noon last Thursday, April 20.

Surprise! The overwhelming majority of previously verified users opted not to pay the new fee. Accordingly, they lost their checkmarks, which meant that as of late Thursday, almost the only Twitter participants showing as verified were those who had paid the fee over the previous few months. (That's about 25,000 people, I believe.) And those people, who thought they had paid to join an elite club, were not happy to find that all the people that they thought were cool had left the club.

Then on Friday, some previously verified figures, like horror author Stephen King and basketball star LeBron James, who had chosen not to pay and thus had become unverified on Thursday, suddenly were verified again -- much to their consternation. Musk announced that he was gifting verification to some people. Those people protested that they didn't want verified status any longer. But on Saturday, the reverification process expanded from a relatively small number of people to most or all users who had more than one million followers. Since then a vast range of people from Ian McKellen to Paul Krugman were announcing that despite their restored blue checks, they weren't and wouldn't be paying Twitter.

Some of the newly blue-checked had never previously had verified status. One of the most prominent newly verified users was the humorist Paul Dochney, the long-pseudonymous poster who goes by the screenname dril (@wint). Dochney, like many other newly verified or re-verified users, tried to return to unverified status using a workaround that someone quickly found: if a user changes their screenname, it removes verification. But someone at Twitter was apparently monitoring such corrections and was re-verifiying some users who had unverified themselves. In Dochney's case, this meant that Saturday night was a cycle of him repeatedly changing his name and losing his verified status followed by Twitter reinstating that status shortly afterwards. Eventually Twitter gave up, because Dochney no longer has the blue check (and his account is now named "slave to woke"). Was Musk personally directing this activity? He's taken the time to reply to and in some cases mock public figures who have tweeted this weekend that they no longer wish to be verified. When Krugman did so, Musk replied with a picture of a crying baby. You'd think the man whose rocket blew up on Thursday might have better things to do with his time.

Oh, and in the process of verifying major accounts, Twitter verified a bunch of dead people like Chadwick Boseman, Kirstie Alley, and Kobe Bryant.

What Musk and even more so his cult don't seem to realize is that Twitter was the beneficiary of years of free content posted by these verified users. They mistakenly believe the opposite is the case. Here's one well-known Musk ally's comment on Friday: "Hollywood celebrities are showing exactly who they are right now -- arrogant elitist snobs worth $200 million dollars who won't pay $8 because they think they're better than everyone else." That was just a few hours before Musk started giving away the blue checks!

(Edited to delete unfinished sentence.)
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's like Borat but directed by Fellini.

Dril, for those who haven't encountered his tweets, is a professional sh!tposter with over 1.8M followers. He spent the time that he's been verified trolling the crap out of Elon, on an unfortunately reasonable assumption that Musk was adding his checkmark personally.
N.E. Brigand wrote: Oh, and in the process of verifying major accounts, Twitter verified a bunch of dead people like Chadwick Boseman, Kirstie Alley, and Kobe Bryant.
Also Jamal Khashoggi, the journalist murdered by Saudis in 2018.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

There's been this recurring pattern where Musk has gotten rid of some feature he's convinced Twitter users don't like and want to see the end of and then, by some convoluted and round-about way, ended up re-introducing it. It's as if McDonalds stopped selling Big Macs and then, after trialing some weird series of alternatives, came out with a 'large burger' basically identical to the Big Mac.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

An analogy that actually happened is Coca Cola replacing its original formula with "New Coke" and then bringing it back as "Classic Coke" after there was so much outrage.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Today on Twitter - verification as an organization is 1K, non-refundable even if you are not approved. Yet some small-account joker, who's been using a handle Disney Junior, UK, has been handed out the golden check.

After finding himself verified, the poster was terrified that Disney would come after him with its lawyers. Others were hoping that Disney would come after Twitter with its lawyers.

The account has since been suspended.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile.
As a result of the explosion, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grounded the company’s Starship Super Heavy launch program pending results of a “mishap investigation,” part of standard practice, according to an email from the agency sent to CNBC after the launch.
SpaceX Starship explosion spread particulate matter for miles

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Half off topic, but there's this Dutch account named Buitengebieden that often gets RTed by my follows, and every time I see it I briefly think it's River:
buitengebieden.png
buitengebieden.png (53.85 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Am I the only one who keeps trying to refresh Twitter only to discover he's been logged out for no reason? Twice in the last 30 minutes. Every time it happens, I wonder what's changed for the worse this time...

Edit: Make that 3, and now it won't let me log back in at all.
Voronwë the Faithful

I got logged out but I haven't tried to log back in.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Elon's Twitter

Post by Dave_LF »

Am seeing reports that “the problem is widespread” in the US, but that the mobile app still works (can confirm the latter).
Voronwë the Faithful

Now I am logged back in -- without having logged back in.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Associated Press: "Elon Musk threatens to reassign NPR’s Twitter account." NPR itself reported on this story last night, which included a late update: "In an email sent at 2:19 a.m. EST after the story was originally published, Musk wrote a message without any text in the body but with this subject line: 'You suck.'"
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What is with these narcisistic man-babies who think they are so 'macho'?

From the AP article:
In response to Musk’s Tuesday emails, Liz Woolery, digital policy lead at literary organization PEN America said that it is “hard to imagine a more potent example of Musk’s willingness to use Twitter to arbitrarily intimidate and retaliate against any person or organization that irks him, with or without provocation.”

“It’s a purely authoritarian tactic, seemingly intended to undermine one of the country’s premier and most trusted news organizations—one that is especially important to rural communities across the U.S.” Woolery added in a Wednesday statement to The Associated Press.
From the NPR article:
"If this is a sign of things to come on Twitter, we might soon see even more of a rapid retreat by media organizations and other brands that don't think it's worth the risk," said Emily Bell, a professor at Columbia Journalism School who studies social media. "It's really an extraordinary threat to make."
:nono:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Tucker Carlson. Elon Musk. A match made in hell.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I am literally being served ads to “Invest in Saudi Arabia: A Vibrant Kingdom”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I got those too. :D

Musk also announced that Twitter will delete all accounts that have not made a post in two years. That upset people who are concerned about losing posts of their friends who passed away, and possibly their user names being taken over by spammers.

I don't really use Twitter to make friends, but I think how terrible it would be to lose all of Prim's or vison's posts, and it makes me sad for the Twitter folks.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Frelga wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:06 am
Musk also announced that Twitter will delete all accounts that have not made a post in two years.
I've made exactly one tweet on Twitter, when I first got an account. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

If anyone successfully migrates to Mastodon or whatever, tips on making the transition would be appreciated. I don't want to maintain an account at what's turning into a hate site, and am looking for alternatives. At first Elon was like a kid with a new toy and I held out hope that he'd get bored and move on, but it's becoming more and more clear that his goal from the start was to set up a one-stop outlet for right-wing conspiracy theories. And especially if The Tucker Show really does manage to set up shop, there will be no going back.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

On that note, I've created a Mastodon account on the newsie server. This was a bit of an impulsive decision because I had no idea which server to pick, but I'm told it doesn't matter that much for reader accounts like mine since you can follow anyone from any server anyway (and it's not too hard to move either). Now to track down the people I want to follow... I'll try to keep you all posted on how it goes.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I searched the Apple App Store for the Mastodon app and the #1 result was a promoted hit for Truth Social ("Follow the Truth"). I literally can't even anymore.