The (no longer) much too early 2024 election thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Re: The much too early 2024 election thread

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:50 amDid anyone in the U.S. even cover it as a story?
New York magazine technically covered it, if mockery counts as coverage. :P

John Bolton Announces 2024’s Most Ridiculous Presidential Bid - Intelligencer
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I just received an email campaign announcement for Katie Porter, who is now officially running for the Senate in California. This is Diane Feinstein's seat. I don't believe Feinstein has officially announced her intentions, but she will be 91 years old in 2024, and 97 when the term ends.

Porter is definitely one that I would support, but there are some other good possibilities who have also expressed interest, so it could be an interesting race.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

She is amazing and we'd be lucky to have her as a Senator. Or President. Or Great Empress, I'm not picky.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I got a notification about Porter, too. Good to know you approve. I value your opinion.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On the other side of the fence, Pence is making ambivalent noises about running for the Republican nomination for President. I guess his decision is going to depend on how things go in the gallows building industry.

In the comments, someone called him "the human version of a bowl of freezer burned vanilla ice milk."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

On his social media network, Donald Trump today has been attacking Florida governor Ron DeSantis, who is expected to challenge the former president to be the 2024 Republican candidate for president. Among the posts Trump made about DeSantis is one in which he appears to endorse another person's claim that DeSantis had been photographed "having drinks with underage girls and cuddling with them" when he was a high school teacher for a year circa 2001-2002. To be clear: as far as I know, this claim is false. What's notable here is the fact that Trump is pushing it.

Edited to note that Trump pushed this claim in at least two posts; in the other instance, he amplifies someone else's post that explicitly refers to DeSantis as a "groomer."
Voronwë the Faithful

No big surprise here but good to have confirmation.

Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile,

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've heard that the Koch's are bankrolling Haley.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

You can listen to Trump speak about this on CSpan.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

That would be amazing if we had two Indian-Americans in the field.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just found out that Nikki Haley is my undergrad batchmate’s Aunt (his mom’s first cousin - which is a very close relationship in India). So we are all now calling her “Nikki Mosi” :lol:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:09 pm No big surprise here but good to have confirmation.

Asked about this announcement later in the day, Senator Feinstein said, "I haven’t made that decision. I haven't released anything."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There was an open primary election in Wisconsin yesterday for a state supreme court seat that could have very consequential results for 2024. The judges whose ten-year term expires this year, Patience Roggensack, is retiring. She tends to take conservative positions. It was she who said in May 2020 that a Covid-19 outbreak in Brown County could be disregarded when determining public safety measures because the outbreak centered on workers at a meatpacking plant there and didn't encompass the "regular folks in Brown County." The general election in this race is scheduled for April 4. I don't believe there are declared party affiliations for the candidates, but of the four main candidates, two lean liberal and two lean conservative. The top two advance, and these are yesterday's results:

46.4% -- Janet Protasiewicz (liberal)
24.2% -- Daniel Kelly (conservative)
21.8% -- Jennifer Dorow (conservative)
7.5% -- Everett Mitchell (liberal)

If that trend repeats in six weeks, then Protasiewicz would be likely to win this seat.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We sure hope so. There was a good turnout for such a (single vote) primary.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Florida Reublican governor and likely presidential candidate Ron DeSantis was in New York City a couple days ago in order, he says, "to talk about how law and order has been central to Florida's success. Florida leads the nation in protecting law enforcement officers, and our crime rate is at a 50-year low, while New York City saw a 23% surge in major crime in 2022. Anti-police politicians should stop catering to the woke mob."

Of course, the mayor of New York mayor was formerly a police officer.

Also the murder rate in New York City is less than half that in Miami and less than one-third that in Jacksonville, both Florida cities with Republican mayors.

And compared to the state of New York, Florida has "a 19% higher rape rate, 66% higher murder rate, and 280% higher burglary rate."