Trump Charged With 37 counts of Espionage, Obstruction and related crimes

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Trump and Biden (and Pence) Classified Document Investigations

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Why did Department of Justice pay the Richard Nixon estate $18 million for those tapes and documents?

Is it because the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act postdated his presidency?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Late yesterday there was news of highly classified U.S. defense intelligence documents, some the assessed military capabilities of Russia and Ukraine, having been leaked. Some speculated that the documents might not be genuine but could instead were disinformation, perhaps created by Russia. But tonight the Washington Post is reporting that the FBI is investigating the leak.

In which case, while there's probably no connection, they probably have to at least consider the possibility that Donald Trump is the leaker.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is speculation that this (his second rant about this case today) is a sign that his attorneys have been informed that he is close to being indicted

Another sign is that his attorney Jim Trusty went on the Sunday shows today to defend him about this case.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Posted by Donald Trump to his personal social media network about an hour ago, in all caps:

... Edited to remove quote that V posted five minutes before me. ...

Earlier today he issued a short message reading just "WORLD WAR III!"

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!
Voronwë the Faithful

Before the "World War III" post he posted an "Easter" greeting completely consistent with the Christian spirit. (*sarcasm*)

Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There's just been so much news over the past week (Friday and today especially, I feel), that it's so hard to keep up.

It's weird how maps were a recurring theme of the Trump era.

There was the hurricane map that President Trump doctored to cover up his mistaken tweet.

There was the map on which Secretary of State Mike Pompeo demanded NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly prove to him that she knew where Ukraine was located.

And now apparently a map is one of the documents whose whereabouts is the subject of the Special Counsel's inquiry into whether Trump violated the Espionage Act.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is actually a pretty good point.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

So you're saying the Bud Light thing is a distraction?
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not following what you mean.😕
Voronwë the Faithful

Interesting.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This has been like a Dumb and Dumber show. A bunch of right-wingers have posted images of themselves disposing of Bud Light and proudly showing off cases of... other Anheuser-Busch brands.

While I wish Mulvaney all the luck, no spokesperson in the world would entice me to try Bud Light a second time. :puke:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

But none of that is related to the classified documents, so I'm still not sure why it is relevant to this thread.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:09 am But none of that is related to the classified documents, so I'm still not sure why it is relevant to this thread.
It was just a joke. When you cited Peter Strzok's reference to Donald Trump perhaps having shown Kid Rock a classified map that Mr. Rock shouldn't have seen -- a story I had forgotten about -- I thought it an amusing coincidence that Kid Rock was in the news lately for other reasons.

(Edited many hours later to add a link to this note that "Fox News has mentioned Clarence Thomas in fewer than 50 15-second blocks since the first ProPublica story broke. It has mentioned Bud Light in 183 segments.")
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Gotcha. I just didn't want to go too far down the rabbithole after Frelga's response.
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Trump Indicted by Manhattan District Attorney

I'll let Brad Moss speak for me on this one (click to read the whole thread).

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I saw the other day that Donald Trump's lawyers had written a letter asking Congress to intervene to stop Jack Smith's investigation of Donald Trump's document retention.

what I had not realized until reading Marcy Wheeler's commentary on the letter is that Trump's lawyers argue that Congress also should intervene to stop the investigations of Mike Pence's and Joe Biden's document retention.