The Blue Wizards?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Blue Wizards?

Post by Alatar »

Pure speculation?

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/r ... er-gandalf
<snip> in an interview with Vanity Fair, Rings of Power showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay were asked if the Amazon series will break Tolkien canon by bringing Saruman, Gandalf, or Radagast to Middle-earth before the Third Age. McKay’s response was interesting, as he said those three Wizards are “not the only beings … in that class” and teased “the mystery and the journey of it is all of the fun.”
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The Blue Wizards?

Post by Alatar »

Bombadil is another option maybe?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

If going from a purely speculative place, Melian was not the only Maia (if I am remembering correctly) who liked skipping around Middle-earth... but then it does have to be something from their allowable sources, so I am very much in agreement that it may be one of the Blue Wizards for the same reason it'll have hobbits - people will want these things because people will want this to feel like Lord of the Rings.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:48 pm Bombadil is another option maybe?
I would be shocked to my core to see them include Bombadil.

I'm sure that he was either referring to the Blue Wizards (or rather, the unnamed missing two wizards in LOTR, since they are never called Blue there, I don't think) or to Sauron in that comment. I'm still guessing that it is Sauron.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The Blue Wizards are of course the first thing to come to mind, though with everything Tolkien wrote about them, including their association with the color blue (which he might have changed his mind about), off limits, ROP would effectively have to come up with their own version of the other two wizards. As elengil mentions, the Valaquenta is clear that most of the Maiar were unknown to the Eldar, in part because so many were kicking around in Middle-earth (often in forms invisible to Elves and Men, IIRC). Not that the Valaquenta is available either, but that factoid is vague enough they could probably make use of it anyway.

EDIT: Simul with Voronwë. It would make sense if this is a nod to Sauron (Meteor Man?), yeah.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I suspect that them being Blue Wizards would fall under the same sort of fudge as the ring of Barahir in LotR. Rather than invent something wrong, let them use something right. I wonder whether that approach will inform a lot of the production.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just realised that you made Jude and I the two blue Istari...
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:21 pm I suspect that them being Blue Wizards would fall under the same sort of fudge as the ring of Barahir in LotR. Rather than invent something wrong, let them use something right. I wonder whether that approach will inform a lot of the production.
I certainly hope so! And I think that there is a reasonable likelihood that it will.
Alatar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:22 pm I just realised that you made Jude and I the two blue Istari...
:wooper:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Galin

Post by Galin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:12 pm (or rather, the unnamed missing two wizards in LOTR, since they are never called Blue there, I don't think)

That's correct. And as far as I'm aware (as of today), these two wizards are only ever called "blue/sea blue" in one text written in 1954 -- before JRRT wrote (in 1958, letter 211) that he doesn't know their colours and doubts they had distinctive colours.

In later-than-this-letter texts (which granted, isn't a heap of references in any case), these wizards are referred to as the "other two" for example -- or at least aren't given any specific colours. Given the White, Grey, Brown of other Istari, perhaps Tolkien meant (1958) that he doubts these guys had distinctive colours in the sense that any colour associations would not be known to Western scribes?

Or something else?

I believe Jackson used "Blue Wizards" in a Hobbit film. I'm not sure why I added that, but there it is.
Voronwë the Faithful

And here it is:

Bilbo: Are there any?
Gandalf: What?
Bilbo: Other wizards?
Gandalf: There are five us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, The White. Then there are the two blue wizards. Do you know, I’ve quite forgotten their names.
Bilbo: And who is the fifth?
Gandalf: Well, that would be Radagast, The Brown.
Bilbo: Is he a great wizard or is he…more like you?

:rofl:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude