Tolkien Publications

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Tolkien Publications

Post by TolkienJRR »

I recently discovered that my upcoming book is larger than I thought it would be. I am looking to reduce its size. I have lore and movie-related sections that I would like to submit to a Tolkien-related website, or perhaps a magazine even. Does anyone have any suggestions?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Tolkien Publications

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If by "magazine" you are referring to journals that publish papers about Tolkien, some that I am aware of are Tolkien Studies, MythLore, The Journal of Tolkien Research, VII: Journal of the Marion E. Wade Center, and Mallorn: The Journal of the Tolkien Society. I have had papers published in the first two, and reviews published in the third. I have never submitted anything to the other two, but I believe that like the other three, they are peer-reviewed journals.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:24 pm If by "magazine" you are referring to journals that publish papers about Tolkien, some that I am aware of are Tolkien Studies, MythLore, The Journal of Tolkien Research, VII: Journal of the Marion E. Wade Center, and Mallorn: The Journal of the Tolkien Society. I have had papers published in the first two, and reviews published in the third. I have never submitted anything to the other two, but I believe that like the other three, they are peer-reviewed journals.
Thanks for the sources. However, I am not sure my material is considered scholarly. I might try over at TOR.net.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What’s your book about?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Inanna wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:44 am What’s your book about?
Well, that is the issue; it is about many things. I am breaking it into two because the first half is about "themes" in Tolkien's works. Such as environmental and political "themes." But I have many other subjects related to "lore." So I talk about how Tolkien viewed his works, his use of hyperbole, especially in The Silmarillion. I look at the positive presentation of Peter Jacksons' film and his exaggerated portrayals. Then I have various nerdy subjects like why the Valar did not help the free people in the war of the ring. I think TOR.net might be interested in some of this.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

All these pieces sound individually interesting! But I can see how weaving them into one would be….. incongruent.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude