Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Frelga »

If not the entire GOP then at least MAGA is a wholly owned subsidiary of the FSB. Although possibly rank and file don't realize it.

Re the ads - thing is, they have always been like that. I was a kid when Challenger exploded, and I remember how nasty and gleeful the Soviet news were about. Even then it felt so mean and wrong to me.

But at least the Soviet ideology posited that all workers were brothers and preaching wholesale hate against the West would be incompatible with that. There aren't any limits anymore.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:31 pm
Frelga wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:36 pmWho in the West watches RT, anyway?
Most of the GOP, to judge by their behavior
I have a friend (and old TORc friend) who used to watch/listen/repost stuff from RT all of the time. This was well before the invasion of Ukraine. RT articles used to show up in my news feed all of the time, too. I asked my friend about some of the stuff which seemed to be obvious propaganda, mixed in with 'regular' news as so to appear more even-keeled. In response he said he loved the Russian people and culture (nothing wrong with that, there is a lot of art and culture to love) but he took it to be just another news source. He no longer posts stuff from RT. I think it's easy to be sucked into a news bubble. Critical thinking skills really should be taught at every level in school. There is so much crap, social media doesn't make it any easier, and it's difficult to sort through sometimes.

As for those (politicians) who choose to get involved in such things for wealth or power.. I have nothing good to say.

RT America closed in March of 2022.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

If you click on this message shared a few days ago by a former U.S. Secretary of State ...

...you'll see that a large number of the replies are absolutely insane. These two are not atypical:

"Sit down. We already know you are a fan of regime change and we also know it doesn't work."

"Is it Christian to go War and kill your neighbors? Or fund it so there is more death and destruction? Go on, Tell me more about that Christian spirit."

Do these people not realize that it's Russia and Vladimir Putin who went to war to kill their neighbors and force a regime change in Ukraine?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think this response sums it up.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Scott Stephenson @Scott4WA8

Churchillian. Hmm. Where I have heard that before? Oh, I know, from every single one of you hive mind commies. Pathetic.
Winston Churchill, the favorite historical reference point of Communists!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Musk made Twitter a lot friendlier to russian troll farms.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

In case you haven't seen it yet, this is how Miss Ukraine showed up at the Miss Universe competition! AWESOME!! :o

https://odessa-journal.com/the-network- ... A8EO9nPrNE
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Pavel Antov, a wealthy Russian businessman and legislator who had made some comments critical of his country's invasion of Ukraine, has died in India after falling from a fifth floor hotel window. Searching for more information about this, I found there's a Wikipedia page devoted to the subject of prominent Russians who died under unusual circumstances this year. Some of them are probably just what they seem: deaths from suicide or illness.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Russian MP Pavlo Antov fell from a hotel window in India and died.

2 days before, his entrepreneur friend Volodymyr Bidanov died in the same hotel.

According to preliminary data, the cause of Bydanov's death was a heart attack, and Antov fell from the window
Supposedly from. Channel 24, although tweeted without a link.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

He died in India. This is one reason I was somewhat nervous about Zelensky's visit to the U.S. Also, there was the risk of his plane 'accidentally' being shot down by a stray missile.

Um. Yeah. Who would have believed that? :roll:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Russians should book rooms on the first floor.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Some interesting but depressing analysis here of Vladimir Putin's recent public remarks: Putin describes the invasion of Ukraine as a civil war fomented by Americans, and he seems sadly prepared to kill every last Ukrainian if necessary for the inevitable victory. Notably he seems to now see himself as a victim.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It is obviously that Putin is a narcissist (as many leaders are) and that the obsequiousness that surrounds him has enabled it to the nth degree. He cannot see anything beyond his own wants and desires and personal glorification.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am not saying putin is actually Sauron, but he just gave out nine rings to his allies.
20221228_121310.jpg
20221228_121310.jpg (106.85 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Putin clearly disagrees with Amazon's Celebrimbor about the necessity of rings of power having an unbroken circular form.

(Source)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But they were, all of them, deceived, for another Ring was made.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:44 pm Russians should book rooms on the first floor.
The comedians, are of course, picking up on this:

Gary Delaney is on tour now
@GaryDelaney
·
Dec 28
I bought a Russian advent calendar. Every time you open a window an oligarch falls out.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:44 pm Russians should book rooms on the first floor.
The comedians, are of course, picking up on this:

Gary Delaney is on tour now
@GaryDelaney
·
Dec 28
I bought a Russian advent calendar. Every time you open a window an oligarch falls out.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Very early on New Year's Day, four Ukrainian missiles struck a Russian military barracks in the town of Makiivka in Ukraine's Donetsk region. Russia reports 63 fatalities. Ukraine says the number is much higher, with more than 300 Russian soldiers killed. You can read more here, including the grisly statement from one Russian who survived the attack that "We are cleaning their brains off our boots."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Russians were bombing Kiyiv and other Ukrainian cities all of New Year Eve and night, for no reason than to terrorize civilians.

People of Kyiv held their New Year parties in bomb shelters.

The explosion in Makiivka targeted a trade school where Russians not only housed hundreds of freshly mobilized troops but also kept a cache of ammunition and parked vehicles and stuff. Ammunition went off, wiping out both soldiers and vehicles.

Russian mil bloggers are livid. They estimate hundreds of soldiers lost and rain curses on the higher ups who left them bunched together. Others say that it's not possible to spread out the untrained mobiks who can't operate in small independent groups and are likely to run away if left unguarded.

Keeping the ammunition in the place is just dumb, though.
Img_2023_01_02_18_31_51.jpg
Img_2023_01_02_18_31_51.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 1018 times