Arnor or Gondor?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Arnor or Gondor?

Post by TolkienJRR »

My 11-year-old so has read The Hobbit and has recently started FOTR and the questions are rolling in. He loves the military aspects of Middle-earth He asked me who was stronger militarily at their peak, Gondor or Arnor, and I could not give him an answer because I don't know. Did Tolkien give us the answer? or at least some hints?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Arnor or Gondor?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not much on military matters, but I would have to say that the answer is Gondor. Arnor didn't last very long as an intact kingdom, quickly disintegrating into smaller, competing realms. And it was Gondor that sent aid to King Araphant of the North-Kingdom, to the wonder of both Men and Elves:
‘But when Eärnur came to the Grey Havens there was joy and great wonder among both Elves and Men. So great in draught and so many were his ships that they could scarcely find harbourage, though both the Harlond and the Forlond also were filled; and from them descended an army of power, with munition and provision for a war of great kings. Or so it seemed to the people of the North, though this was but a small sending-force of the whole might of Gondor.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
TolkienJRR

Re: Arnor or Gondor?

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:39 am I'm not much on military matters, but I would have to say that the answer is Gondor. Arnor didn't last very long as an intact kingdom, quickly disintegrating into smaller, competing realms. And it was Gondor that sent aid to King Araphant of the North-Kingdom, to the wonder of both Men and Elves:
‘But when Eärnur came to the Grey Havens there was joy and great wonder among both Elves and Men. So great in draught and so many were his ships that they could scarcely find harbourage, though both the Harlond and the Forlond also were filled; and from them descended an army of power, with munition and provision for a war of great kings. Or so it seemed to the people of the North, though this was but a small sending-force of the whole might of Gondor.
Thank you for the info. I posted this question on another forum and it does indeed seem Gondor was the stronger of the two. The passage you quote could be amazing with the ability of Gondor to transfer a large part of their army but it does indicate strongly Gondor was indeed more powerful. TY
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien