Russian Version of LOTR Now Online!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I moved the posts from the Shibboleth thread "Middle-earth in New Media" to this one so that the discussion was together

If you've ever thought, I love LOTR but I wish I could see an ULTRA low budget Russian film adaptation - I have good news for you!

https://www.slashfilm.com/soviet-lord-o ... EX5jtIh7aw
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:If you've ever thought, I love LOTR but I wish I could see an ULTRA low budget Russian film adaptation - I have good news for you!

https://www.slashfilm.com/soviet-lord-o ... EX5jtIh7aw

:shock: :rofl: :banana:

Turn on auto-translate to English, it's even better
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I watched bits of it.. :rofl: I'll watch the rest later. The hobbits aren't small, but I guess for a low budget production what can one expect.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As I said on B77, it appears to be a filming of a theater production. Which may explain some things, such as the minimal effects.

It doesn't explain Gandalf the Purple. Or the perpetually high Frodo.

Lobelia is awesome, though. And hey, Tom Bombadil and Barrowdowns.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Colbert talked about this in his show!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm about 90 minutes in and it's growing on me. If you stop thinking about it in terms of PJ's movies, and just expect a theater production for children based on a quirky foreign story, it's actually quite fun.

Not sure how Legolas... just how.

Eta: one thing about televised theater is that it tends to show up close things that are meant to be watched from a distance, on stage. And this is an odd enough hybrid to make that even more glaring.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote:Colbert talked about this in his show!
Not surprising!!

Frelga, it's probably a little easier if one understands Russian. I've been trying to watch it with auto-translate and if I didn't know the story it would be pretty confusing. But yeah, I can see where it works as a theatrical play.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It also helps not to have any investment in the source material. Tolkien has been translated into Russian, but was practically unknown even to those like me, who read quite a bit of translated fantasy and science fiction. So it wasn't an adaptation of a generally beloved tale, as something by Astrid Lindgren or Gianni Rodari.

The translation is quite good, IMO. But I can see how not following the language would make the experience even more surreal.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

yovargas wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 am If you've ever thought, I love LOTR but I wish I could see an ULTRA low budget Russian film adaptation - I have good news for you!
I just watched part one. :rofl:
I wonder if Peter Jackson saw it, because there were some iconic scenes/poses that reminded me of his films. The scene of Goldberry dancing, for example, looked very much like the scene of Rosie dancing.

I must get to bed. I have part two queued up for tomorrow night. Here are direct links, with subtitles, for the first two hours of this TV series.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquKyNdgH3s
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLevCLNnLmg
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There's also The Hobbit, if you are into that. It's less bizarre in that it's clearly a theater for TV production and not the chimera that the other show was, and some of the artistic choices have been made while sober. It also features some excellent actors. But it is very abridged.

And someone in the comments said "They are taking the Hobbits to Leningrad" and it's stuck in my brain.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I just found this on FB, and have watched the first 10 minutes. Although definitely not a polished Hollywood style film, it's not bad! (And yes, it has English subtitles for those of you who aren't Frelga... :D )

Planning to watch the rest of it sometime soon. I hear Tom Bombadil makes an appearance!

https://nofilmschool.com/soviet-lotr?fb ... hkMLGlYxlg
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re: Russian Version of LOTR Now Online!

Post by narya »

It's hilarious. I wish they'd gone farther with it.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Like I said in the other thread, if you expect a stage production of a quirky children's tale by an obscure foreign writer, and not Peter Jackson, it's actually quite fun. Although probably one of those things that is better watched not-sober.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Re: Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I moved the posts in that thread (which were in the Shibboleth forum thread on Middle-earth in New Media) this thread so that the discussion would be together.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I just noticed that when I moved the old posts into this thread, it renamed the thread, which is not what happened before the recent update. Sorry about that. I have changed the name back, though I likely killed all discussion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."