Narsil "The slaves of Mordor shall flee from me."

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
TolkienJRR

Narsil "The slaves of Mordor shall flee from me."

Post by TolkienJRR »

Looking for more learned loremasters to help me out here. I am reading Middle-earth from Script to Screen and in a section is says that Aragorn's reforged sword reads "The slaves of Mordor shall flee from me." Now this book does not distinguish from movie to book so I want to check. Was this written on Aragorn's sword in the books?
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Narsil "The slaves of Mordor shall flee from me."

Post by Alatar »

I don't believe so. WETA went above and beyond with these little details. For example, in Fellowship, Frodo's sword was inscribed with "Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im" which translates to "Sting is my name; I am the spider's bane", but the sword is unadorned in The Hobbit movies because Bilbo named the sword and it was inscribed for him in Rivendell.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
TolkienJRR

Re: Narsil "The slaves of Mordor shall flee from me."

Post by TolkienJRR »

Alatar wrote:I don't believe so. WETA went above and beyond with these little details. For example, in Fellowship, Frodo's sword was inscribed with "Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im" which translates to "Sting is my name; I am the spider's bane", but the sword is unadorned in The Hobbit movies because Bilbo named the sword and it was inscribed for him in Rivendell.

Thanks very much.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien