The 4K Release of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The 4K Release of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Post by Alatar »

I thought maybe we needed a clean thread for this one

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/ ... -high-res/

Of note: see bolded section
Worst of all, each set's $90 price tag includes three films and nothing more. No documentaries, no behind-the-scenes footage, not even any commentaries. $30 per film isn't an unreasonable price in the 4K Blu-ray universe, but having to swallow the entire trilogy cost in one purchase makes the lack of extras a bit tougher to bear; those will have to wait for another special edition version of the 4K trilogies, coming "Summer 2021." These sets will somehow include more "previously unreleased" footage, even after dozens of hours of extra content in previous special editions. Like, what else do they have left to give fans? Hobbiton cooking classes?

Bottom line: Get it
That's really the only asterisk at this point. It's not a matter of if you should get your hands on the LOTR 4K trilogy, but when. If you've worn out the films' supplementary featurettes and documentaries over the years, or if you typically skip extra features and simply want each film's theatrical and extended cuts to watch on your 4K-iest TV, don't hesitate to snap this up. If you'd prefer to have One True 4K Blu-ray Set, with commentary tracks and other features combined as a "final, seriously" version to buy for your shelves, you should probably save the $90 for now (or find someone to buy your copy of this year's set you once you upgrade in about eight months).
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The 4K Release of Lord of the RIngs and The Hobbit

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. Seems there's three releases.

Dec 1 2020: Lotr and TH 4K editions
June 2021: Lotr and TH 4K Collectors Editions
Fall 2021: 20th Anniverary Editions

No details yet on the difference between the June and Fall releases.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm glad I read this. If I had bought the first release in December, and then only later discovered that there was going to be new material, I would have been seriously annoyed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Will the 20th Anniversary editions have the long-speculated-on extra deleted scenes? (Asking as speculation; I know we don't know yet.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I think one of the commentaries mentioned that they filmed having the orcs chase the Fellowship into Lothlórien. That may be one possibility.

Also, Sean Astin said that there was a long fight between Sam and Frodo after Sam knocked Frodo down in Osgiliath.

Let's hope that they don't go full-on George Lucas and digitally add more orcs and trolls to the battles.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

We also didn't see Faramir and Éowyn's wedding.

I'd even like to see some of the ideas they decided against, if that footage exists.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Arwen at Helms Deep.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I don't expect this to actually happen, but I'd rather see a shorter "de-extended" cut of RotK that is longer than the theatrical but removes some of the more egregious EE material like the cartoon stuff with the Dead and Aragorn beheading the Mouth. And as long as I'm wishlisting, maybe even trim down the ending scene where Frodo wakes up and recolor the undead to a greyer shade for somewhat-less-silly bubbles.

Include the various unused scenes as separate extras. Considering some of the junk that made it into RotK's EE already (alongside some very good scenes, yes) I don't really want them adding what they didn't think was worthy of inclusion.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

kzer_za wrote:I don't expect this to actually happen, but I'd rather see a shorter "de-extended" cut of RotK that is longer than the theatrical but removes some of the more egregious EE material like the cartoon stuff with the Dead and Aragorn beheading the Mouth.
I would pay some seriously good money to be able to create my own perfect LOTR cut, as each EE added stuff both good and bad, even if on balance I think they're mostly good. Maybe one day when I'm a billionaire I can hire some professionals to make that happen for me!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

yovargas wrote: I would pay some seriously good money to be able to create my own perfect LOTR cut, as each EE added stuff both good and bad, even if on balance I think they're mostly good. Maybe one day when I'm a billionaire I can hire some professionals to make that happen for me!
There are already some fan edits done by regular folk like you and me. Maybe all you need is the right software and a day spent researching how to use it?

I'd like to see your version, when it becomes available.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
kzer_za wrote:I don't expect this to actually happen, but I'd rather see a shorter "de-extended" cut of RotK that is longer than the theatrical but removes some of the more egregious EE material like the cartoon stuff with the Dead and Aragorn beheading the Mouth.
I would pay some seriously good money to be able to create my own perfect LOTR cut, as each EE added stuff both good and bad, even if on balance I think they're mostly good. Maybe one day when I'm a billionaire I can hire some professionals to make that happen for me!
Isn't that what the fast forward button is for?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Jude wrote:
yovargas wrote: I would pay some seriously good money to be able to create my own perfect LOTR cut, as each EE added stuff both good and bad, even if on balance I think they're mostly good. Maybe one day when I'm a billionaire I can hire some professionals to make that happen for me!
There are already some fan edits done by regular folk like you and me. Maybe all you need is the right software and a day spent researching how to use it?

I'd like to see your version, when it becomes available.
I find fan edits fascinating and have watched some (including a couple for The Hobbit), but no matter how good, you can't really do it justice without getting some professionals involved. Music and sound is probably the biggest hurdle since you get awkward cuts and transitions doing it yourself. It never feels like a proper "professional" cut of the movie.
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Here's a review:

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ooh, the same guy has a review for The Hobbit:

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interesting, thanks Jude. I really should revisit The Hobbit. Maybe I'll wait for the Ultimate Collectors
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

yovargas wrote:There are rumors/expectations that the LOTR films will get a fancy 4K home release next year, and I'm hoping to have a fancy new 4K TV by next year as well. So I'm kinda holding out for that before rewatching it again.
So - how are your plans progressing?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The unexpected release of LOTR this year has certainly made me very very tempted to make the jump, but I'm still sticking to my plan of waiting for next year. IMO the really good TVs are more expensive than they are worth to me so I'm waiting for those prices to come down a good bit.
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I realize this may be a personal question for a public forum, but just out of curiosity, am I the only one that has the necessary equipment to watch this?

The only reason I have a 4k DVD player is that my old one stopped working. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten one for at least several months.

Still wondering whether to wait for the summer release, or just to get it right now. Hmm...
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I still have my ancient player with DVD and VHS.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!