Who is Your Favorite Hobbit?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Who is Your Favorite Hobbit?

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's been awhile since I've read LotR, but going by what I recall from my impressions, Tolkien's intent was not that Arwen was unimportant, an afterthought, or 'only' a trophy to be won. I think it is quite clear that these two, Aragorn and Arwen, were a inseparable team even when parted. I understood Tolkien to portray some women as warriors and some who contribute behind the scenes. They do the quiet (yet important) work of supporting those they love who are away at war. Arwen impressed me as one such person. Arwen was not sitting idly by. Although she is not a primary subject of the tale, she wove a cloth, a banner, which was delivered to Aragon at a difficult time, encouraging him to take a difficult path to fulfill his destiny. The unfurling of the flag she created for him was an important moment.. it was the 'Return of the King' moment. Aragorn may not have been able to do so without her love and support.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Did you get the new illustrated edition? It is stunning.
No, I had completely forgotten about the edition until today when I saw your post on it here. I look forward to getting it.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote:It's been awhile since I've read LotR, but going by what I recall from my impressions, Tolkien's intent was not that Arwen was unimportant, an afterthought, or 'only' a trophy to be won. I think it is quite clear that these two, Aragorn and Arwen, were a inseparable team even when parted. [...]
I agree that he didn't mean to convey that impression, and that he didn't think of Arwen that way, but she was a late addition to the story, and by his own admission he failed to integrate the story of Aragorn and Arwen into the main narrative.
Perhael

Post by Perhael »

Samwise Gamgee. He's a gardener (I also garden) and loyalty is one of his chief virtues. I am loyal to a fault to people who are dear to me and get hurt when it's not returned (that's life). His wife's name is Rose (or Rosie) as is my wife's name.

My username is the Elvish form of “Samwise.“ I was originally going to select “Banazir Galbasi,” the form of his name in Westron, but assumed that must have been taken, (although I didn't bother checking) and decided to go for a one word username. I looked up Sam on Tolkien Gateway, found variations of his name, including the Elvish, ‘Perhael.’
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good choice on all accounts! Welcome Perhael!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Perhael

Post by Perhael »

Hi Rose!