Book of material written by Tolkien edited by Carl Hostetter

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Book of material written by Tolkien edited by Carl Hostetter

Post by Jude »

Sure, if you like...

Are you concerned about a possible copyright violation, since I'm setting Tolkien's words without the permission of the estate?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

We promise not to pay you?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'll risk it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Stephen Oliver's version from the BBC Radio play is lovely, particularly when sung by Bill Nighy (as opposed to the version on the "Music" recording sung by a trained baritone) but I won't share here as I'd hate to influence Jude's version.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't think there's much chance of that - the vocal line is written out in full, the piano part is mostly sketched out. I'm just working out details of the texture. Also, I'm using the much-expanded version found in History of Middle-earth, rather than the slimmed-down version found in the final book.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

If you're interested I'll send you a clip.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

My review of The Nature of Middle-earth is now life at the Journal of Tolkien Research:

https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolk ... 13/iss1/5/

ETA: And Carl's response, at TORN, for any who are interested: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... 49;#984549
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Thanks for both those links! I'm going to wait on reading your fair review closely until I have time to dig into the book itself.
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:30 pm My review of The Nature of Middle-earth is now life at the Journal of Tolkien Research:

https://scholar.valpo.edu/journaloftolk ... 13/iss1/5/

ETA: And Carl's response, at TORN, for any who are interested: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... 49;#984549
A great overall review and thanks for providing the links. Honestly, i had the same opinion as Carl, it was a great review but for the one statement he took exception with. Perhaps you were correct in that his insights about Catholic influences were not needed and some would say inappropriate, yet I am grateful he included them.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

I did warn you (even before it was published) that "there is an aspect to my review that I am fairly sure that you will disagree with. And that is okay."

I thought that Carl's response to my review was measured and reasonable.

There is an ongoing debate going on about this issue. The table of contents of the new issue of Mythlore was just released and it contains this interesting item:

"Keystone or Cornerstone? A Rejoinder to Verlyn Flieger on the Alleged “Conflicting Sides” of Tolkien’s Singular Self, Donald T. Williams.

If you are not familiar with him, Don Williams is an ordained minister and a longtime proponent of Tolkien's Christian worldview.

Janet Croft, the editor of Mythlore, also noted in her email about the table of contents the following issue was going to include this little tidbit:

"A Queer Atheist Feminist Autist Responds to Donald Williams’s 'The Keystone or the Cornerstone? A Rejoinder to Verlyn Flieger on the Alleged ‘Conflicting Sides’ of Tolkien's Singular Self,' by Robin Reid
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:30 pm I did warn you (even before it was published) that "there is an aspect to my review that I am fairly sure that you will disagree with. And that is okay."

There is an ongoing debate going on about this issue. The table of contents of the new issue of Mythlore was just released and it contains this interesting item:

"Keystone or Cornerstone? A Rejoinder to Verlyn Flieger on the Alleged “Conflicting Sides” of Tolkien’s Singular Self, Donald T. Williams.

If you are not familiar with him, Don Williams is an ordained minister and a longtime proponent of Tolkien's Christian worldview.

Janet Croft, the editor of Mythlore, also noted in her email about the table of contents the following issue was going to include this little tidbit:

"A Queer Atheist Feminist Autist Responds to Donald Williams’s 'The Keystone or the Cornerstone? A Rejoinder to Verlyn Flieger on the Alleged ‘Conflicting Sides’ of Tolkien's Singular Self,' by Robin Reid
lol, and you were correct.

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely have to give them both a read. Just wondering, what issue is the "new" one, I did not find those topics on the site.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry I should have been clearer. By 'new one', I mean the one that is just about to come out. Janet wrote on Monday: "Mythlore #139 should be going to the printer later this week; it'll be at least another week before subscribers see it online or in their email, and a bit longer before paper copies arrive on doorsteps."
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:12 pm Sorry I should have been clearer. By 'new one', I mean the one that is just about to come out. Janet wrote on Monday: "Mythlore #139 should be going to the printer later this week; it'll be at least another week before subscribers see it online or in their email, and a bit longer before paper copies arrive on doorsteps."
Thank you very much.
-J.R.R Tolkien
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:30 pm I did warn you (even before it was published) that "there is an aspect to my review that I am fairly sure that you will disagree with. And that is okay."

So I started to dig into Donald T. Williams and i was wondering if you had read his "AN ENCOURAGING THOUGHT." Or if any reviews had been written in the journals.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

I have not read anything written by Don Williams, though I have heard of him for a long time and I believe that we met at a MythCon. I have not located any reviews of An Encouraging Thought, but the current issue of Tolkien Studies (the one that was just released that contains my paper on Tolkien and the Sanctification of Suffering, which I think you would find interesting), includes this blurb about the book in the the section "The Years Work in Tolkien Studies 2018" (the section that this blurb appears in was written by John Wm Houghton):
In the prosimetric An Encouraging Thought: The Christian Worldview in the Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien (Cambridge, OH: Christian Publishing House, 2018), Donald T. Williams builds on his own teen-age experience of Tolkien, as a writer who not only happens to be Christian but has a Christian worldview. Williams’s goal is to explain Tolkien to Christians who may never have understood his religious commitments and the worldview to anyone who (like the young Williams) might not have grasped that such a thing could exist. The book thus engages only infrequently with scholarly discussion of Tolkien as theologian. The text includes verse from Williams’ Stars through the Clouds: The Collected Poetry of Donald T. Williams (Lynchburg: Lantern Hollow Press, 2011), and chapters 2, 4, and 5 are expanded from previously published essays. There are a few distracting spelling errors (Middle Earth, Cerin-Amroth, Loth Lórien), diacritical marks are regularly missing (Ainulindalë, Barad Dur), and occasional errors of fact creep in (e.g., T. A. Shippey held Tolkien’s former chair at Leeds, not Oxford, 93).
Included in this set of reviews for a 1997 issue of Mythlore is a review of his older book, Inklings of Reality: Toward a Christian Philosophy of Letters
https://dc.swosu.edu/mythlore/vol22/iss1/12/
TolkienJRR

Post by TolkienJRR »

Thanks for all the help. It has opened new avenues of research for me.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Voronwë the Faithful

My pleasure!