The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

The Murder of George Floyd and the Response To It

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I split this off from the WTF thread - VtF

The President of the United States threatens to send the National Guard into Minneapolis, tweeting "when the looting starts, the shooting starts". Twitter hides the tweet per its terms of service which prohibit glorifying violence.
Trump Tweet.PNG
Trump Tweet.PNG (158.21 KiB) Viewed 16693 times
I actually remember a time when this would have been an earth-shaking scandal, now it hardly merits a mention.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by yovargas »

Earth-shaking scandals are a dime a dozen these days.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I find that one pretty terrifying.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The whole push to take some kind of action against Twitter is pretty terrifying, even if he likely can't do anything with teeth without Congress.
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I find that one pretty terrifying.
Me too. Reminds me of Indian riots. :cry:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So a CNN Camera crew just got arrested...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

CNN crew arrested on live TV. Is this Nazi State enough for us yet?

*fingers crossed - yay it worked this time.*

Also, posted on top of Alatar. :hug:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Holy shit. That looks so very, very bad for the police.

This probably should be in a different thread.
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:Holy shit. That looks so very, very bad for the police.

This probably should be in a different thread.
I think this looks very, very bad for the US. :(

And honestly, I couldn't really think of a better thread because I am SO out of whiskey for this fuckery.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm of two minds about the different thread. I agree with yov that the subject deserves its on thread, but I also agree with elengil that it is about as WTF as it can get.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote:CNN crew arrested on live TV. Is this Nazi State enough for us yet?

Pretty sure that is what a real violation of free speech looks like.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Aaaand tonight they're just straight up firing riot bullets at media crews.

was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

What in the world are they thinking over there???
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

The situation, particularly in the twin cities, is morphing into something very, very scary. This is from a post by the writer Lidia Yuknavitch on Facebook:
This is from a dear friend on the scene :: please read if you want to understand another danger emerging ::
So for those of you who are interested - I have no idea how national media is covering this - here is what is happening on the ground from my perspective. It is a long post.
All day yesterday people were out on the street helping businesses - EVERY SINGLE BUSINESS IN UPTOWN has boarded up windows and locked down their stores. The 3rd Precinct, which burned on down Thursday night, is on the east end of Lake Street. Uptown, where we live and the 5th Precinct police station is located, is three miles west on lake street. All of Lake Street was looted on Thursday night. On Friday EVERY BUSINESS on Lake Street and adjoining commercial districts, was boarded up.
Many spray painted murals on the plywood - let folks know they were a local or minority owned business. Essential businesses.
Last night was by far the worst night. Protests during the day were peaceful. There was an 8:00pm curfew. Everything changed when the sun went down. There are roving and highly organized bands of anti-government neo-nazi white men cruising the city, breaking off plywood, looting stores, and then setting them fire to the buildings.
On the Northside, which is predominately African American, the situation was much the same. Local civic groups were trying to protect local businesses and homes. there were many fires.
The violence and destruction is NOT being driven by local people. The cars on the streets have either removed their license plates, or have out of state plates.
Here is a post from a neighbor, "Everybody! We need to get our heads around what’s happening, Mpls and St Paul are being attacked by fascist “accelerationist” white crazies. Trying to divide & destroy us.
Accelerationism: the idea inspiring white supremacist killers around the world -Vox"
Expect these same types to infiltrate all of the legitimate protests happening in other cities in America. We are fighting an enemy within.
These "accelerationists" burned down the 5th Police Precinct, our post office, every pharmacy. The Wallgreens and CVS within a few blocks of our house are still burning this morning. The grocery stores were all hit. Every bank has been hit. Every liquor store, every gas station. They have guns and accelerants.
When National Guard show up, they disappear into the neighborhoods and have been setting fires. It is a violent game of arsonist wake-a-mole. There is no longer any fire fighting service available - overwhelmed. So neighbors are using garden hoses to put out the fires and save homes. Pictures neighbors are sharing - these are young white men, heavily armed.
According to authorities there are over 10,000 of these "accelerationists" in the city. St. Paul arrested over 50 people last night. ALL OF THEM were from out of state. The authorities are checking phones of the people they have arrested, doing contact tracing of sorts on these people. These people are connected to right wing militia style groups with a civil/race war fantasy. They are opportunistically using the legitimate, peaceful George Floyd protests as a cover to actualize their neo-nazi fever dream.
Gov. Walz just said, "If you know where these people are sleeping today, let us know and we will execute warrants. Allie and I were helping the owner of a commercial building up the street - a friend, and two of these guys came up to us. Wanted to know where the free food was being distributed. He gave them an address that was three blocks away. Had no idea what we were talking about - not from here.
Allie, the girls and I are fine and safe. Exhausted. Angry. We have not really slept in three days. Everyone in Minneapolis/St. Paul is the same.
So, what to do? Our neighborhood group is meeting at the park this afternoon. I think that they will organize our neighborhood watch to patrol, try to spot fires and get them out ASAP.
Major protests are planned for today. They want the other three police officers involved in George Floyd's murder arrested, they want the MN Attorney General, not the Hennepin County Attorney to manage the case. They want the MPD disbanded and reformed with many alternative public safety and law enforcement strategies used. But the legitimate protests will end at 8:00 pm.
The Gov. and the mayor are calling in thousands more National Guard Troops. We already had more National Guard troops in the city than ever before. They are doing a good job but were overwhelmed last night by sheer numbers. Gov. Walz is the highest ranking soldier to have ever served in Congress and led the National Guard - he clearly sees this for what it is and will fight it. This is now a military operation by the State of Minnesota against alt-right, white nationalists and anarchists that have come into Minneapolis to use the protests against police brutality as cover for their death fantasy.
They are trying to force authorities to use deadly force and "accelerate" the violence.
It is dark friends.
The other side - this morning the neighborhood is out in force helping with the clean up, re-securing businesses. Massive food distribution at community centers. People taking in neighbors whose homes were destroyed or whose neighborhood was so impacted that it is no longer habitable. Allie was ion contact with students, many of whom are refugees from war torn countries, that were hearing explosions and fire and sirens - they were calling her to make sure she was okay.
Today I will garden. My flowers are starting to really come into bloom. Vegetables coming in strong. New raised bed being built. Eat some good food. Feel grateful. Train our new puppy Ruth, who is just a pip. Take her to the lake and give her a swimming lesson. Then I'll take a nap. I think tonight will be a long one.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I've been following events in the U.S. pretty closely for nearly two decades. I was in the country six weeks before 9/11, at the start of the recovery from the 2008-2009 recession, and during the Trump Presidency. This is the first time I'm feeling genuinely fearful for its future. It is seeing, quite literally, the worst pandemic since 1918-1920, the worst recession since the Great Depression, and the most serious civil disorder since 1968 all at once.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd add: with the most incompetent president & administration America has ever had.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

It's been confirmed that a white man was one of the first to start breaking windows so looting could take place. He's been identified as a St Paul police officer, and his ex-wife confirmed he was wearing her mask and gloves!

They say he was sympathizing with the rioters, but I wonder who's side he was really on, as the other whites taking part wanted to make the black community look as bad as possible. There are pictures of whites taking part in the looting, and some were even yelled at by blacks who were present, and wanted to stop the looting.

This is just all kinds of messed up... :nono:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE4VbTX ... TSPScmlFT8[/media]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The police department has since said the officer in question was on duty at the time he was supposedly breaking windows to encourage looting. But there seems to be little doubt that those encouraging violence were from outside St Paul, and the same is true in some other areas where violence broke out:

https://www.justsecurity.org/70497/far- ... 8yIY6MzSs0
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

There is no question in my mind that the man in the gas mask was not sympathetic to the protest but rather was a provocateur looking to incite anarchy for reasons unrelated to protesting George Floyd's death. But I am very doubtful that he was actually Officer Pederson.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Interesting Twitter thread by activist Samuel Sinyangwe on what does and doesn't prevent police violence, according to his summaries of the research.

He concludes that these things don't work:
-Body cams
-Training and diversity programs

While these do:
-Legal restrictions on use of force
-Demilitarisation
-Tracking the records of individual officers
-Alternatives to police intervention, such as diverting 911 calls regarding people exhibiting symptoms of mental illness to mental health professionals

I can't comment, but it looks interesting.