Short Stories

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Short Stories

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:32 pm :D It's a little meta, since it requires fluency both in Star Trek references and 2020 political events.
We're totally meta around here.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Totally Meta!

The story I want to read is the true transcript of the call(s) that resulted in that press conference at Four Seasons Landscaping. It's one of those things that are too absurd for fiction.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Short Stories

Post by Inanna »

ROFL.

I suspect the evil corporate AI, Google AdWords was involved.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:46 pm I suspect the evil corporate AI, Google AdWords was involved.
Quite likely. But then what? Did the landscaping company assume it was a joke? At what point did the caller realize that they were not talking to a hotel? In short, WT actual F happened there?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It is fascinating...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm
Inanna wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:46 pm I suspect the evil corporate AI, Google AdWords was involved.
Quite likely. But then what? Did the landscaping company assume it was a joke? At what point did the caller realize that they were not talking to a hotel? In short, WT actual F happened there?
I almost have to wonder if they actually did call the hotel first, were told there was nothing available on that date or something, and tried to save face by going to the next available business with that name saying "SEE we DID have our conference at the Four Seasons!" :doh:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For super short stories, check out @MicroSFF

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bhatia, PI by Shiv Ramdas (of the rice lorry fame) is published by Lightspeed magazine, and it's hilarious. Also a tie-in to his upcoming novel.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I recall we talked about Hemingway's famous six-word story in this thread. Turns out, Hemingway did not write it.

For Sale, Baby Shoes, Never Worn

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

It's fascinating how long a history there is to that concept. I was expecting a much shorter post when I clicked the link. :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

An interesting little story of the "what are monsters, really" genre.

THE YOUNGEST SON MISSES HIS BOAT TO THE CRUSADES by Premee Mohamed

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Loved it. Thank You.