US Supreme Court Discussions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: US Supreme Court Discussions

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have seen people who are subject matter experts who have said much the same thing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Moore v. Harper This seems to be a case of some concern.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Indeed it is. My best guess is that ultimately, there is not going to a majority of the court that is going to be willing to adopt the truly whacky State Legislature Doctrine, which is very much been a fringe legal theory until very recently. But then, the idea that the Second Amendment protected a private right to own firearms was a fringe legal theory. Until it wasn't. The ramifications if I am wrong (which I may well be) are so far-reaching that I don't even want to think about it (so much so that I avoided posting about the case in this thread).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Activist Asks To Lead Satanic Prayer At FL High School Football Game
SOUTH FLORIDA — After the U.S. Supreme Court backed a high school football coach's right to pray at the 50-yard line, a South Florida artist and political activist has reached out to a Broward County high school asking to lead a Satanic invocation at one of its football games.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I've been wondering when the Satanists would finally show up. Suddenly that whole church and state separation is going to start looking real good I bet. =:)

The First Amendment, for anyone who needs a refresh
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I don't know enough about the USA to guess how it's going to go, but what are your opinions? Will the "Satanists" be able to use this decision to create after school Satanist clubs to promote rationalist and scientific thought?

The promotional vid made me chuckle.
Last edited by Impenitent on Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Satanists have been doing A+ First Amendment work for years. On a more mainstream note, both Jewish and Muslim organizations have also been working on First Amendment challenges. Including demanding access to abortion.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:26 am I don't know enough about the USA to guess how it's going to go, but what are your opinions? Will the "Satanists" be able to use this decision to create after school Satanist clubs to promote rationalist and scientific thought?
Yes. We have no official religion and we can't have an official religion. The Founders came out of a time when, if you did not adhere to the faith of the ruling monarch, you were considered at best suspicious and at worst a traitor and getting away from that was the basis for founding some of the 13 colonies (which is how one of my ancestors ended up on a boat called the Mayflower and why Pennsylvania ended up with all the Amish). Some of the Founders, like Jefferson, would probably be scorned by today's Evangelicals (Jefferson rewrote the Bible without the miracles after all). That's the other side of the sword these "Pray in Public School!!" types keep brandishing about. If you want it to be okay to drop to your knee and make a huge public show of Christian prayer, if you want religious exemptions from stuff based on your interpretation of the Christian holy texts, if you want laws passed based on your interpretations of the Christian holy texts, everyone else gets to do the same...including the people you really don't like or aren't comfortable with. Hence the long-standing tradition of keeping church and state separate.

That said, I don't think rational and scientific thought should be claimed or rejected by any religion. Rational and scientific thought are available for all and should be considered available for all.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

River wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:49 pm....That said, I don't think rational and scientific thought should be claimed or rejected by any religion. Rational and scientific thought are available for all and should be considered available for all.
From my reading, which admittedly has not been extensive, this particular "satanist" group are a tongue-in-cheek anti- prayer in schools movement, not an earnest religious group at all, and are using this tactic as a way of highlighting the importance of the church/state separation while at the same time taking the opportunity to introduce students to the importance of rational questioning.

I was wondering whether they will be able to actually set up these after school clubs or whether this is an ambient announcement without legs.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Forget tongue-in-cheek, let’s see what happens when Muslims want to open and fund a madrassa.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Inanna wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:49 pm Forget tongue-in-cheek, let’s see what happens when Muslims want to open and fund a madrassa.
...and then ask for state charter school dollars.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yup. That *is* what I meant to say.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

River wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:14 pm
Inanna wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:49 pm Forget tongue-in-cheek, let’s see what happens when Muslims want to open and fund a madrassa.
...and then ask for state charter school dollars.
They will fight it, people will point out that they're being nakedly hypocritical, and they'll shrug and say "so what?"
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A (fringe Fundamentalist) Christian church in our community managed to get 4 members on our school board (and attempted to get a 5th before people caught on) and tried to siphon millions of dollars in public school funds to go toward their Home Schools as charter schools. It didn't work, the board required any such funds to go only to licensed schools with teachers who are certified, but only barely (5 to 4).
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Republican Senator Ted Cruz of Texas said today that the 2015 Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriages was "clearly wrong."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A new national poll from Fox News finds:
• 81% favor term limits for members of Congress

• 66% favor 18-year term limits on Supreme Court justices

• 71% favor mandatory retirement age for Supreme Court justices

• 46% favor expanding the Supreme Court

• 55% favor replacing the Electoral College for presidential elections with the popular vote
My emphasis. So a two-thirds majority would back what are probably two of the three most frequently suggested SCOTUS reforms.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Tennessee judges have dismissed a lawsuit filed by a Jewish couple who were told by a state-funded agency that they would not place a child in a non-Christian home.

In 2020, Tennessee passed a law allowing adoption agencies to disqualify prospective parents based on their religious faith, as well as same-sex couples - even when agencies receive federal funding. Apparently, similar laws exist in other states.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State plans to appeal the decision, and it will probably end up before the Supreme Court. Any speculation on what the outcome will be?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:33 am Tennessee judges have dismissed a lawsuit filed by a Jewish couple who were told by a state-funded agency that they would not place a child in a non-Christian home.

In 2020, Tennessee passed a law allowing adoption agencies to disqualify prospective parents based on their religious faith, as well as same-sex couples - even when agencies receive federal funding. Apparently, similar laws exist in other states.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State plans to appeal the decision, and it will probably end up before the Supreme Court. Any speculation on what the outcome will be?
I have no clue as to the answer to your question (especially with so many new justices), but I'm horrified and sickened Impy.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

If ANYTHING good can be said to come of recent events, it's that congress is finally codifying in law what otherwise was only determined by SCOTUS.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-demo ... eme-court/
Washington — The House on Tuesday passed the Respect for Marriage Act, which would protect marriage equality by repealing the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and providing federal protections for same-sex and interracial couples.

The bill passed 267-157, with 47 Republicans joining every Democrat voting in favor of the bill.
Do we know if the Senate only needs a simple majority or will this be only a token bill which is dead on arrival? I guess I should have just finished reading the article myself.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

It would be really nice if these survived the filibuster. I'll leave it at that for now.