Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Movies we are looking forward to seeing

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:Has anyone seen Luka Chuppi?
No... but I could find out from the hindi-movie-watching-gang, if you like.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If it's not too much trouble. It sounds cute.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm keeping an open mind about the Dune film, but I doubt that I will find it satisfying.
I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of an open mind :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Smaug's voice wrote:Is it just me or is the Dune movie shaping up to be really exciting? It's got a great director and a fantastic cast so far.
:wave:

I've never been interested in Dune. At all.

BUT.

This Dune will be starring Timothée Chalamet, a wonderful young actor who broke my heart in the exquisite Call Me By Your Name. So I will be watching this Dune, you betcha. ;) (Chalamet would have made a marvellous Frodo, IMO. Ah, well ...at least I will see him as Laurie in Greta Gerwig's Little Women!)

I also loved Denis Villeneuve's Arrival. His Blade Runner 2049 was pretty good too - stunning to look at - although it couldn't match the wonder of Ridley Scott's original.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm keeping an open mind about the Dune film, but I doubt that I will find it satisfying.
I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of an open mind :)
Well, I did say that it had to be better than Lynch's Dune, so that is something. And I pretty much took the same skeptical attitude to Jackson's LOTR, and that turned out to be pretty all right!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

"...pretty all right..."

L'ingOL!

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Dune is close to up there with LOTR for me, in terms 9f having captured the whole of my imagination when I read it.

A movie would gave to be pretty terrific to meet my geeky needs ... and also long. I want a long, meaty, intricate and subtle movie.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

It's going to be two movies.
Voronwë the Faithful

Two movies covering just the events of Dune itself. Or one movie of Dune, and then one movie of Dune Messiah and/or Children of Dune?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Two movies covering the first novel. Brian Herbert has tweeted that he has reviewed Draft #4 of the first script and it covers roughly half the first book.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cool!

(Is Brian Herbert involved in the writing of the scripts? No offense, but I am not a fan of the multiple books that he has put out with Kevin Anderson.)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, it’s the screenwriter who wrote Forrest Gump. I’m assuming Brian has some sort of input as literary executor of his fathers estate? At the least it’s probably nice to include him for PR purposes.
Voronwë the Faithful

Agreed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So there's going to be an American Godzilla movie, and this Twitter thread just made me laugh and laugh

https://twitter.com/eedrk/status/1120187377060737025
it's stupid when godzilla is in America because america doesn't have cities. what's he gonna do, knock down the three blocks that actually have tall buildings and then walk 20 miles to kick over a ramada inn? who cares
And it's going to be set in DC? I'm imagining the plot will be Godzilla recovering her self-confidence after the other Kaju mad fun of her for being so short. The credits will roll on the shot of the trail of broken corn disappearing beyond horizon.

PS And then someone suggested Godzilla get a fitbit and I lost it again.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Anyone planning on seeing the new Joker film? I have to admit I've been intrigued by the the premise, and the controversy in the media and the claim that the movie's frank depiction of social isolation, mental illness and violence make it "the Incel Black Panther". But I'm also not sure I necessarily want to put the time into a film which could be hard going.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm definitely planning on seeing it. I loved the trailers and have long thought Phoenix is an amazing actor. But I have been also rather pointedly been ignoring all the internet controversy about it as I'd prefer to not have all that noise affecting my opinions as much as possible. Though that's probably already impossible since I am already plenty aware that the internet is very angry and has very strong opinions about a movie that almost none of them have seen, even if I have largely managed to avoid the details of that anger
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't been following the news about the movie, but there is absolutely nothing about the story of Joker that makes it all interesting to me.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For my money its taking the heart of "The Killing Joke", a classic Joker Origin story, and plucking it out of context. The tragic origin is counterpointed by the horrific acts the Joker is taking against Commisioner Gordon and his daughter Barbara (implied rape) in order to prove that any man can turn evil given enough provocation. By removing Gordon (and Batman's) refusal to sink to his depths, it feels like "Joker" is saying its ok to turn evil if your life didn't turn out how you wanted. But then I haven't seen it yet, so I'm prejudging based on what I know of the story.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

...it feels like "Joker" is saying its ok to turn evil if your life didn't turn out how you wanted.
But why are so many people commenting on what they feel the movie is saying before even seeing it? It's very weird to me.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, that's the narrative they're advertising in the trailers. Can't have it both ways!