yov's 100 All-time Favorite Songs

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: yov's 100 All-time Favorite Songs

Post by yovargas »

N.E. Brigand wrote: I started at #100 on your list and have listened through #46, but I'm pausing just to note that of your 100 songs, there were 44 for which I recognized the artists' names but not the song title, 1 for which I knew the song but the artist, and 12 where I knew the artist and song -- and 2 of those 12 are fairly likely to turn up on my own list.
I fully intended to listen to other's lists too when they were posted (somehow I hadn't expected people to do that) but I'll admit I didn't get very far. Turns out listening to 100 songs is a lot, and listening to multiple 100s is a lot more! So if you actually make it through all of them, kudos to you!

And I'm impressed if you new the names of nearly all the artists in my list so far. That seems like a decent sign that we listen to similar stuff. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I haven't listened to all of the lists in their entirety, but I took the opportunity to go through them to see how many I was familiar with.

yov's: Artists: 30, Songs 34
elengil's 1st 2 lists combined: Artists 49, Songs 26
Voronwë's: Artists: 15, Songs 16
Lali: I know/am familiar with all but 2 artists & 5 songs on your list.
Snowdog: all but 13 artists, familiar with 43 of the songs
Jude: I was only familiar with a few on your list. :)

I have listened to an Alt-Rock station for about 15 years but it has a playlist closer to Lali's than yov's. I love Rock, but I also like some metal especially those that pair with classical instruments like Evanescence or Apocalyptica. I enjoy some classical, especially from soundtracks. I occasionally enjoy Folk/Celtic/New Age-y type music, but it's not what I listen to when I'm in my car, for example. I'm not fond of most country or rap, but I like some hip-hop. My tastes have changed over the years, but I still have favorites from decades past. I'll try to tidy-up my list & post it. I had whittled it down from about 450.. so.. I've been working on it. :P
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Jude: I was only familiar with a few on your list. :)
I am proud to say we had 1 overlap (not that I posted it, mind...) but the Flower Duet song is one of my all-time favorite opera pieces :love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote: Jude: I was only familiar with a few on your list. :)
I am proud to say we had 1 overlap (not that I posted it, mind...) but the Flower Duet song is one of my all-time favorite opera pieces :love:
It doesn't mean I may not like the music or recognize them once I listen. I only counted what I immediately recognized at first glance. Of course I did recognize most of the composers.
I knew Greensleeves, Genesis, Ol' Man River, Joni Mitchell, Peter Gabriel, Howard Shore/The Fall of Gandalf, Shenandoah (the song, but not by that artist), same for 'Sometimes I feel like a motherless child. The Beatles, Kyrie, etc.. After playing a few I also recognize Delibes – the Flower Duet from “Lakmé, We'll Meet Again.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

elengil wrote:So, just to be clear, this is not an attempt to make a list of my all-time favorite songs. This is Today's List of 100 Songs I Really Love.

8. Canvas
Imogen Heap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9nSl2sKPA
Last year I realized that Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" is where marching bands go to die. So many have tried. All have failed.

There is a good marching take on her "A-ha!", though, with a particularly nice feature for the tubas.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

yovargas wrote: 99 - John Cale-Hallelujah (1991)
Just had to share this.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
yovargas wrote: 99 - John Cale-Hallelujah (1991)
Just had to share this.
:rotfl:
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

yovargas wrote:Not really sure if there will be much interest here as I don't think folks here share most of my musical tastes, buuuuuut I put a ridiculous amount of thought and effort (I first decided to make this list back in 2013... (I have a thing with lists...)) into compiling this list so I thought I'd share. So below is my Super Duper Official 100 All-time Favorite Songs list. ...

40 - Pixies-Debaser (1989)
I'd never heard that one before.

Have you ever seen Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí's 1929 short film Un Chien Andalou, which inspired that Pixies song?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Have you ever seen Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí's 1929 short film Un Chien Andalou, which inspired that Pixies song?
Not the full thing but I've been aware of the famous eyeball sequence for a long time. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

yov's 100 All-time Favorite Songs

Post by Inanna »

Right now, I'm playing WXPN, Philadelphia Public Radio which is playing the 2,020 greatest-ever songs, based on votes by listeners.
Its great :D

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by Inanna on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is awesome Inanna! One thousand greatest songs sounds about right. :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Quite a few bands that I didn't know, even from the genres I like.
No. 251 on the List: The Allman Brothers: Dreams
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Nashville making me reconsider one of my top 100.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thanks, V. :)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Having to make some tough choices. "Kind of a Drag" or "Don't You Care"? "Midnight Confessions" or "Let's Live for Today"? "Because" or "Catch Us If You Can"? "Crimson & Clover" or "Draggin' the Line"? "Kicks" or "Indian Reservation"? "Come a Little Closer" or "This Magic Moment"? "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter" or "There's a Kind of Hush"? Not easy decisions!