The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:36 pm Senator Tommy Tuberville, Republican of Alabama, who was in the news a few days ago for confusingly conflating Trump supporters with white supremacists (after saying the latter shouldn't be expelled from the military), today says in light of Special Counsel John Durham having failed to successfully prosecute (almost) anyone for the supposed crime of investigating Donald Trump's connections with Russia, "the American people should just stand up and say, "Listen, enough's enough. Let's don't have elections anymore.'"

(My emphasis.)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:36 pm Senator Tommy Tuberville ... "Listen, enough's enough. Let's don't have elections anymore.'"
And he is almost certainly the doofus who's repeating in public what others are saying behind closed doors. The GOP isn't even pretending to try to appeal to the voters anymore.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

They're ruling, not representing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Charlie Savage of the New York Times debunks a prominently published Durham supporter's claims here:

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

More "breaking" news:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Mueller, She Wrote says the below, but I'm honestly not sure what she's talking about...
Voronwë the Faithful

So far as I know, she was talking about the tweet that I posted above yours, and the two "breaking" tweets that I posted in the 2020 election thread. And while all three are significant, none of them are earth-shaking.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

She justish posted this update, and sure, I guess...
I mean pre-1/6 each of those would be big news, but now? :shrug:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now the only thing I would consider big news is 45 sentenced to a prison term. The chances of that are between zero and snowball in hell, and far lower than the chances of him being our next president, so.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:01 pm Now the only thing I would consider big news is 45 sentenced to a prison term. The chances of that are between zero and snowball in hell, and far lower than the chances of him being our next president, so.
And isn't that just.. un-freakin-believable. :help:
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:01 pm Now the only thing I would consider big news is 45 sentenced to a prison term. The chances of that are between zero and snowball in hell, and far lower than the chances of him being our next president, so.
Trump's former attorney disagrees with you (and so do I).

Trump’s White House lawyer predicts ex-president will end up in jail as Mar-a-Lago probe heats up
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 am
Trump's former attorney disagrees with you (and so do I).

Trump’s White House lawyer predicts ex-president will end up in jail as Mar-a-Lago probe heats up
I'd be thrilled to be wrong. (well, in this case, for Frelga to be wrong) :D
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I am not known for my optimism and perhaps this statement is not in fact all that optimistic given what’s waiting in the wings, but I think Trump is on his way out.
Voronwë the Faithful

I too am not known for my optimism but I am following the information about the various investigations ridiculously closely and u do think that he is going down.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But if Trump goes down will it take Trumpism down as well or will it become (conspiracy theorists, etc..) even more fervent? It seems many (like DeSantis) want to out-Trump Trump.
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump is a symptom, not the problem. Before Trump there was the Tea Party. The more progress is made, the more reactionary response there will be. But progress continues to be made.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:56 am Trump is a symptom, not the problem. Before Trump there was the Tea Party. The more progress is made, the more reactionary response there will be. But progress continues to be made.
Well stated. Frustrating though. Especially where (I live) it's hard to see the progress/progressive side.
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:39 pm Charlie Savage of the New York Times here debunks a prominently published Durham supporter's claims that were published in the Washington Post.
The Post has corrected some of the problems that Savage identified:

Scanning through the replies to Peter Strzok's post, I would note one incorrect statement that I've repeatedly seen made by Donald Trump's critics: the claim that the Steele Dossier was originally funded by Republicans. It wasn't. A Republican campaign did first hire Fusion GPS to do opposition research on Trump starting in 2015, but it was only after Fusion was hired by a law firm representing the Clinton campaign in 2016 that they hired Steele to investigate Trump's Russian connections.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:36 am I would say that it *is* too "good" to be true, for a few reasons. First of all, when asked whether they had shared any of this information with prosecutors, since Giuliani has been a subject of multiple criminal investigations, they wouldn't say. Second, they claim to have tapes, but none have been released. Thirdly, a picture that is actually inserted in the text of the Complaint is a screencap from the Borat sequel. That is not serious lawyering.
In a column titled "Rudy's Very Bad Week," Marcy Wheeler agrees, writing: "I’m sure many of the claims made in this suit are true, but packaged up as it is, it feels too convenient, just like the 'Hunter Biden' 'laptop.'" She thinks the filing indicates Dunphy is trying to interest the FBI in her testimony and/or trying to threaten Giuliani or his associates into arranging a quick settlement. Dunphy claims to have had access to Giuliani's emails for many months in 2020-2021, and she claims that Giuliani never officially made her his employee or had her sign a non-disclosure agreement. And so:
The FBI may be seeking this information. Several plaintiffs, including Freeman, definitely are (Dunphy also helpfully includes a summary of the property he owns, including five homes). And nothing prevents her from sharing it with them unless Rudy retroactively claims she was an employee, covered by non-disclosure obligations, through this entire period, with the $2 million payment she claims he promised her to go along with that nondisclosure agreement.

Not just Rudy — but also the entire Trump family (have I mentioned there’s an election coming up?), Rupert Murdoch and some of his star current and former employees, as well as a bunch of lawyers who’ve been involved in some shady shit — all of them have an incentive to retroactively make her status as an employee official, so that she won’t release these communications.

Many of these very same emails would have been unavailable to the FBI under a privilege claim, but unless Dunphy is an employee, then she can hand them over because Rudy waived privilege over them. I can’t decide whether I’m more interested in seeing the emails that might show Jay Sekulow alerted Trump to the false claims that were made on his behalf during the Russian investigation, or the ones that show Hannity was about to board a plane to meet with a mobbed up Russian asset in support of Trump’s 2020 election bid. But if I know of specific emails I’d like to see, then the people named in paragraph 96 surely do as well.
I am also reminded of Lev Parnas, who teased that he had a bunch of information about Giuliani, Trump, and the Ukraine scandal.