The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:33 pm Edited further to add: Rampell notes that Trump reported no charitable giving in 2020, despite having said publicly that he would be donating his presidential salary each year. Also, V was not among the "some folks" I referenced above as regards Trump's Chinese bank account; I hadn't seen V's post at that point.
Following up on the first item, Maggie Haberman of the New York Times notes how the tax filings appear to undermine a March 2020 claim by White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany:

Surely Trump would have declared this check as a donation in his taxes if he actually paid it. I don't think it would violate any tax laws for each of the relevant government departments to whom Trump claimed to have made donations each quarter (in this case, Health & Human Services) to confirm whether or not they actually received them.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:29 pm Remember when Trump claimed that he closed his bank account in China before he ran for president at one of the debates with Biden? What a surprise, he lied!
He also lied in a different debate, when he said that he paid "millions of dollars" and "not $750" in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017. Following that, he said, twice, "And you’ll get to see it," but now he's complaining that we actually are able to see what he paid.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There's a story today in the Washington Post headlined, "Russian trolls on Twitter had little influence on 2016 voters." The article reports that: "Russian influence operations on Twitter in the 2016 presidential election reached relatively few users, most of whom were highly partisan Republicans, and the Russian accounts had no measurable impact in changing minds or influencing voter behavior, according to a study out this morning." However, "the study doesn’t go so far as to say that Russia had no influence on people who voted for President Donald Trump." Here's a link to the study itself. I haven't read it yet, but based on the story in the Post, it seems the headline is misleading.

Remember the word cloud that showed the word "email" completely dominated the public's perception of Hillary Clinton in 2016? A lot of that was driven by Russia, via Wikileaks, releasing DNC emails in August and Clinton campaign emails in October. (It didn't matter that the August emails showed nothing worse than political infighting and the October emails were entirely innocuous. Because the FBI director had publicly criticized how Clinton managed her email as Secretary of State, the repeated references to "email" by the media for the entire month leading up to the election created perception that she'd done something wrong.) Those leaks were part of Russia's disinformation campaign. To the credit of the Post, the article notes that the study "doesn’t examine other social media, like the much-larger Facebook" and that it doesn't "address Russian hack-and-leak operations. Another major study in 2018 by University of Pennsylvania communications professor Kathleen Hall Jamieson suggested those probably played a significant role in the 2016 race’s outcome." (Here's a link to Jamieson's 2018 analysis. And here's a study from Columbia University last year that found that betting markets swung toward Hillary Clinton at times when Russians were likelier to be on vacation, i.e., when the Kremlin's troll farms would be less active.) The Post article also acknowledges the possibility that given the "small margins of victory in some states for Trump ... even a small number of people who changed their attitudes as a result of Russian influence operations online [could] have swayed the vote," but goes on to say that the "sample size of the Twitter study suggests not," and quotes one of the researchers saying, "we’ll never really know."

Edited to add: the study's authors have posted some caveats about their work.

Edited further to add: Matt Yglesias makes a decent argument here about the relative influence of different parts of the 2016 Russian influence campaign vs. media coverage of the race, which he more briefly summarizes thusly: "The most serious Russian influence on the 2016 race was itself entirely mediated by mainstream news organization choosing of their own free will to get very heavy coverage to often trivial stories based on John Podssta’s hacked emails." He adds:
At the time, I was really furious about this. Having mellowed some, I now believe there’s an element of scope to this — nobody held a gun to Democrats’ heads and made them nominate someone who was known to have bad relationships with the press. Part of the responsibility of a political party is to select strong candidates, and this was a failure in that regard.
My problem with this description is that I think no Democratic primary voter picked Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley instead of Hillary Clinton on the grounds that Sanders or O'Malley were more liked by reporters!
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:25 pm
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:14 pm
About damn time. Guilty on all counts.

I assume there's no chance the Trump Org. will serve any prison time, though.

More:
The felony convictions carry fines totaling up to $1.7 million. But the collateral consequences may be more significant to Trump, who is seeking a second term in the White House. Banks could call in loans and business partners could cancel contracts if their internal policies prevent them from doing business with felons.

The trial also revealed potentially embarrassing details about Trump, including that he reported nearly $1 billion in operating losses over a two-year period in 2009 and 2010, as well as losses each year for the decade between 2009 and 2018 -- some of the same years Trump was touting his business acumen on reality television and as he was campaigning for president.
If the two Trump Organization entities that were found guilty, the Trump Corporation and the Trump Payroll Corporation, were people rather than corporations, sentencing guidelines would call for them to face as much as 40 years' imprisonment. Of course, it's rare for someone to be sentenced to the maximum, but I think that any person would go to jail for at least a few years.

It's seems unfair to people that corporations don't face the same consequences. Mitt Romney said in 2012: "Corporations are people, my friend."

So lock them up.

- - - - - - - - - -
Edited to add: today the judge in the case today did impose the maximum possible penalty, which is $1.6 million (not $1.7 million, as claimed above).
Voronwë the Faithful

This is Bannon, not Trump, but this still seems to be a reasonable place to put this.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Bloomberg reports that Donald Trump's 2016 campaign has reached a settlement with former campaign personnel that will release them from their non-disclosure agreements and "free potentially hundreds of ex-staffers, contractors and volunteers to say what they want to about their experience."

- - - - - - - - - - -
After a hiccup earlier this week, a judge has unsealed portions of Donald Trump's November 2022 deposition in the defamation case brought a few years ago by E. Jean Carroll, who claims that he raped her in a department store in the 1990s. (His deposition starts at p. 14 of the document at the link.) I'm not sure what the legal ramifications of these excerpts will be, but they demonstrate that he cannot be embarrassed. He had claimed that Carroll was being by a "radical left-leaning publisher" to make her claims: when he is told that the same company published a book by his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, he just says "could be." Explaining his use of the word "hoax" to describe Carroll's claim and about other occasions when he's used that word, he says that mail-in balloting is a "hoax," but when pressed to acknowledge that he himself voted by mail just two years ago, he says he did, but "I don't know what happens to it once you give it"; never mind that if he were really concerned about that, he could have voted in person. (He also says that global warming is "largely a hoax.")

Trump does say that the comments for which he is being sued were crafted by himself alone without the assistance of any White House staff: "I didn't need to. I'm not Joe Biden." And when asked if he's ever kissed a woman without her permission, he says, "I don't think so."

Apparently there are more excerpts that may be released before the trial, which is currently set for April.

- - - - - - - - - -
N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:56 pm There's a story today in the Washington Post headlined, "Russian trolls on Twitter had little influence on 2016 voters." The article reports that: "Russian influence operations on Twitter in the 2016 presidential election reached relatively few users, most of whom were highly partisan Republicans, and the Russian accounts had no measurable impact in changing minds or influencing voter behavior, according to a study out this morning." However, "the study doesn’t go so far as to say that Russia had no influence on people who voted for President Donald Trump." Here's a link to the study itself. I haven't read it yet, but based on the story in the Post, it seems the headline is misleading.
Some interesting comments on the limitations of that study here.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Not a scandal about Trump himself, and not necessarily a scandal, but:

In 2017, the English singer Morrissey jokingly offered to kill Donald Trump "for the safety of humanity." You shouldn't do that. The Secret Service will probably investigate you, and they should focus on actual threats to the president's safety. Morrissey said last year that the Secret Service did in fact interview him to confirm that he wasn't serious.

A few days ago, independent journalist Jason Leopold reported that in response to a Freedom of Information Act request he had submitted asking the Secret Service for documents about their investigation of Morrissey, he received a letter saying that no such records existed.

But today, Morrissey's tour manager showed Leopold communications from and to the Secret Service confirming that they reached out and interviewed Morrissey to be sure he wasn't actually threatening President Trump's life.

The Secret Service does seem to have a problem with transparency even when it's legally required.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
As is their wont when a Democrat is president, Republicans are now clamoring to reduce the debt, so it's probably worth noting that (1) 25% of the entire U.S. national debt of the past 236 years was incurred during Donald Trump's presidency; (2) $4.7 trillion of that debt was due to Republican policies during Trump's first three years in office, i.e. before Covid; and (3) half of that $4.7 trillion in Trump debt was due to spending increases by the Trump administration.

Republicans don't care about debt. As Dick Cheney infamously said: "Ronald Reagan proved that deficits don't matter."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

As far as I know, there is no investigation into this matter, but it's obviously criminal. In the period of June-November 2022, "GOP groups spent just $2,000" at the Waldorf Astoria in Washington, D.C. That doesn't sound like a scandal, until you realize that in the period of June-November 2018, i.e., the months leading up to the last midterm election, those same Republican organization spent $867,000 at that Waldorf Astoria, citing its "convenient" location.

The only difference is that in 2018, that building wasn't a Waldorf Astoria. It was the Trump International Hotel.

Crooks, all of them.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:33 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:21 pm RICO!
"A federal judge has removed fired FBI director James Comey, fired FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, fired FBI agent Peter Strzok, resigned FBI lawyer Lisa Page, and former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith as personal defendants in Donald Trump’s RICO lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and other individuals and institutions." This was a Westfall Act Substitution, by which the Dept. of Justice filed a motion that the actions for which Trump is suing those five people happened in the course of their job duties, and therefore Trump would have to sue the federal government for their actions -- and good luck with that. This is the same procedure by which President Donald Trump himself might yet avoid liability in the defamation lawsuit filed against him in 2019 by E. Jean Carroll. The judge in that case ruled against the motion brought by the Dept. of Justice to substituted the federal government (which apparently is immune from defamation claims, so that would be the end of Carroll's suit), on the grounds that Trump's statements about Carroll fell outside the scope of his job, but there is an appeal pending.
Today a federal judge ruled that Donald Trump and his lawyers have to pay $937,989 in sanctions for filing this frivolous suit.

Edited to add: and the biggest chunk of those sanctions, about $172,000, are owed to Hillary Clinton.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In a new memoir, former CIA Director and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that in late March 2020 -- this would be after Covid-19 had already led to lockdowns in a number of U.S. states (including here in Ohio), President Trump told Pompeo to stop criticizing Chinese President Xi because, Pompeo says, Trump wanted to strike a trade deal with China.
Voronwë the Faithful

This is the chart of the attorney's fees that Trump and his attorney have been ordered to pay as a result of his frivolous lawsuit against Hillary Clinton, GPS Fusion and others.

ETA: The following day, Trump dismissed his even more frivolous suit against Latecia James that was before the same judge.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Is it common for courts to charge for frivolous law suits? I am aware that it happens, but for people like Trump the threat of law suits seem to have been business as usual as a form of intimidation to get others to give up on (often rightful) claims.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

No, it is extremely uncommon. The vast majority of lawsuits at least have a modicum of validity. It is a high (or rather, low) bar to cross to be deemed so frivolous as to be worthy of sanctions.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Quite the smack-down. From NPR, in part:
In a blistering filing on Thursday, U.S. District Judge Donald M. Middlebrooks accused Trump of a "pattern of abuse of the courts" for filing frivolous lawsuits for political purposes, which he said "undermines the rule of law" and "amounts to obstruction of justice."

"Here, we are confronted with a lawsuit that should never have been filed, which was completely frivolous, both factually and legally, and which was brought in bad faith for an improper purpose," he wrote.

Citing Trump's recent legal action against the Pulitzer Prize board, New York's attorney general, big tech companies and CNN, he described Trump as "a prolific and sophisticated litigant" who uses the courts "to seek revenge on political adversaries."

"He is the mastermind of strategic abuse of the judicial process," he wrote.
I appreciate the language the judge used.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A couple days ago, more excerpts were unsealed from the depositions in the defamation lawsuit brought by E. Jean Caroll against Donald Trump. Caroll claims that Trump raped her in the 1990s. He claimed she was lying, and he specifically added that "she's not my type." But the new transcripts cast doubt on that claim, because while being questioned last year, Trump misidentified a photo of Carroll, whom he claimed to have met only a few times, as being a photo of Marla Maples, to whom he was married for six years.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It's not clear how much this bears on the Trump-Russia investigation, but it must be noted:

Department of Justice Accuses FBI Official of Concealing Massive Cash Payments from Foreign Government

The former FBI agent in question, Charles McGonical, was charged in New York with having violated U.S. sanctions against Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, apparently in the years since McGonical left the FBI in 2018. But McGonical was also charged in D.C. for "concealment, false statements, and falsifying official records" while he was an agent, and it seems that "the charging documents lay out a story in which McGonigal appears to have used the powers that came with his position — including to open criminal investigations — in a way that may have benefitted those paying him."

And this may be a coincidence, but as many people have noted today, it was just three weeks after McGonigal was appointed by FBI Director James Comey on Oct. 4, 2016 to run the counter-intelligence division in New York that the New York Times printed a story saying that the FBI had found "no clear link" between Donald Trump and Russia. That was, as it happens, the same day that the Times published the news that Comey had reopened the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server -- a move he made largely because agents in the FBI's New York office were leaking to the press. A week later, Comey closed the Clinton investigation again because, unsurprisingly, there was nothing to it. Years later, the DOJ's Inspector General did investigate the question of which FBI agents were leaking and for what purpose but was never able to figure it out.

- - - - - - - - - -
Edited to add: Sen. Marsha Blackburn, Republican of Tennessee, thinks that this news demonstrates that the investigation into Donald Trump's Russian connections was a frame-up.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Mike Pompeo, who was CIA Director and then Secretary of State in Donald Trump's administration, derides Jamal Khashoggi, the reporter brutally murdered on the orders of Saudi Arabia's crown prince, as merely "a part-time stringer" whose death was unimportant.

Kudos to Jeet Heer of The Nation for noting that less than two years ago, Pompeo wrote that "violence has become too accepted in our socieity."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In the past two days, two different photos have been published of former president Donald Trump posing (post-presidency) with retired mobsters. To be fair, the second gangster, a hitman named John Alite, did turn against his employers by testifying against crime boss John Gotti, but it's still not a good look for someone running for the presidency.