Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Dave_LF »

Sorta starting to look like the MAGA strategy is to achieve Greene's "national divorce" by behaving so badly the rest of us beg them to just take the bottom row and get out.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dave_LF wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:15 am Sorta starting to look like the MAGA strategy is to achieve Greene's "national divorce" by behaving so badly the rest of us beg them to just take the bottom row and get out.
Marjorie Taylor Greene did preside today over the premature divorce of Donald Trump and Laura Loomer.

(Edited to add links.)
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:nono:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

I had previously posted the following information about a murder in San Francisco to the Biden presidency thread because the national attention on the death of Bob Lee drew seemed emblematic of a certain tendency to blame the president for crime rates (which indeed rose during the pandemic -- albeit to nowhere near the levels of the 1970s-1990s -- but seem to be dropping now):
N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:23 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:11 am Noting this story here because of how it was being portrayed in the mainstream media and elaborated on in social media as a commentary on urban crime. Nine days ago, Bob Lee, the 43-year-old founder of Cash App, was stabbed to death on the street in San Francisco Here's a New York Times tweet about the murder: "The CashApp creator Bob Lee’s killing has stirred outrage among tech leaders and comes at a precarious time for the industry — and for the city it calls home. “I hate what San Francisco has become,” the founder of the industry blog TechCrunch said." Today police arrested Nima Momeni for Lee's murder. Momeni, of the nearby city of Emeryville, was himself a (much less successful) tech entrepreneur who apparently knew Lee.
New reporting on this story: "Slain tech executive Bob Lee visited a suspected drug dealer's apartment with the sister of his alleged killer just hours before his violent death, The Standard has learned from a source with knowledge of the case." Crime, boy, I don't know.
Now there's a new story about what appears to be the misleading presentation of a violent different crime in San Francisco, but I don't want to pull that thread too far astray, so I'm noting it here instead:

Although Carmignani denies it, it appears that he may have attacked as many as eight different homeless people over fourteen months before he himself was "struck outside his mother's Marina District home by a homeless person and hospitalized with serious injuries. The case gained national attention as pictures of Carmignani’s wounds and videos of the attack circulated on social media in the aftermath."

Pop, Six, Squish, Uh uh, Cicero, Lipschitz?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:59 pm (...)
Pop, Six, Squish, Uh uh, Cicero, Lipschitz?
Erm... that's Chicago not SF. :halo: (I realize you know this.) I'm just laughing to myself about all the pop culture references today.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

USA Today has published a story about how "for months, Black, Jewish and LGBTQ people across the country were doxxed and hit with abusive attacks. It was all being orchestrated on a Telegram channel [with 1,500 participants] called 'Project Mayhem,' run by a well-known neo-Nazi. And he was in federal custody." The ringleader, Paul Miller, was actually on post-prison home confinement while directing these noxious campaigns until USA Today asked the Bureau of Prisons about his activity. Now the BOP says that "out of an abundance of caution and in response to information recently received," he's back in prison.

One bit jumped out at me: "'Let’s show this f----- what real white boys are like!' reads a post from April 3." Tucker Carlson, was that you?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Ever so slightly off topic, but for the record, John Mulaney had Trump's number all the way back in 2009:
(fast forward to 1:04 if the link/embed doesn't do that for you; language warning if you don't)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Kandiss Taylor is a Trump loyalist who lost to Brian Kemp in the GOP primary for Georgia Governor in 2022 (and refused to concede even though she only got 3.4% of the vote).

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh. My. Gosh. It seems like it should be satire. She has a Master's degree and a PHD. She's a teacher for goodness sake. :doh: :nono: It sounds like she should be in an asylum.

I shouldn't be surprised, this is pretty much what our Young Earth Creationist Dino trailer neighbors believe (although I am not sure if they are flat earthers too). People such as this are very politically active and motivated.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Younger Americans newly discovering and praising the work of Osama bin Laden.

On the left as on the right, they never think the leopards will eat their faces. (Osama bin Laden, were he alive, would happily kill every last one of these people.)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:36 am Younger Americans newly discovering and praising the work of Osama bin Laden.

On the left as on the right, they never think the leopards will eat their faces. (Osama bin Laden, were he alive, would happily kill every last one of these people.)
There are a number of suggestions here about how to explain OBL's letter using phrases these folks will understand. I was tickled by the reminder that he was a "nepo baby." And I think the most apt comparison is to the manifestos of mass shooters.

Edited to add: apparently this meme wasn't as popular as Yashar Ali suggested -- until he brought it to a much wider audience under the guise of condemning it.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

From the Associated Press: "6 teenagers go on trial for their alleged role in the 2020 beheading of a French teacher."

The teacher showed his students the caricatures of Mohammed that had been published by Charlie Hebdo in 2015. The actual killer was not one of the students but was "an 18-year-old of Chechen origin who had become radicalized. The attacker was in turn shot dead by police." Five of the six defendants, who were aged 14-15 at the time, are accused of "criminal conspiracy with the aim of preparing aggravated violence to be committed" for having identified the teacher to the killer in exchange for a payment. The sixth defendant, then aged 13, is accused of having made false allegations about what the teacher actually said and did. Since it involves juvenile defendants, the trial will happen behind closed doors. The maximum possible sentence is 30 months.

Eight other defendants, all adults, are due to stand trial later for their alleged part in inflaming the tensions that led to the murder.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"American chocolate mogul charged with murdering Canadian animator, partner."

Allegedly the chocolatier hired a hitman to kill the Jurassic Park animator, who sold his firm to Microsoft for $200 million in 1994 and moved to the Caribbean island of Dominica to found a resort, over a dispute about road access to their respective properties there.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Definitely a Darwin award candidate! :roll:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wo ... over&ei=15

A woman was shot in the bum after flouting no metal rules and bringing a concealed gun into an MRI scan with her.

Technology in modern medicine today is astounding and involves processes that most ordinary people don’t understand.

So, we rely upon experts like radiographers to tell us the dos and don'ts to avoid situations like when a patient received “major injuries” after wearing a metal butt plug in an MRI scan.

But one woman who thought she knew better and broke the cardinal “no metal allowed” rule quickly found out why the rule exists when the gun she was secretly carrying went off and shot her in the bum.

The events of the incident were published in a report by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and revealed that the woman was carrying an iron handgun when she was having an MRI scan done.
The report explained that the handgun became attracted to the magnet and fired a single shot that entered her “right buttock area”.

“The patient was examined by a physician at the site who described the entry and exit holes as very small and superficial, only penetrating subcutaneous tissue.”

The report also added that the woman had been through a pre-procedure screening process “which includes weapons specifically, and answered no to all screening questions”. MRI machines work by producing an extremely strong magnetic field and radio waves that force protons in the body to align with it.

They produce detailed images of the inside of the body but the presence of magnetic metal can potentially leave the patient with more issues than they went in with.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunny, :scarey:
N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 pm "American chocolate mogul charged with murdering Canadian animator, partner."

Allegedly the chocolatier hired a hitman to kill the Jurassic Park animator, who sold his firm to Microsoft for $200 million in 1994 and moved to the Caribbean island of Dominica to found a resort, over a dispute about road access to their respective properties there.
Whereas in the US, if you easily found a hitman, it's probably because it's a fed, as someone commented on the story below

India Accidentally Hired a DEA Agent to Kill Sikh American Activist, Federal Prosecutors Say
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Had to find another source for the animator's murder. That one kept blocking me. Sounds like the chocolate mogul was none too smart!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Someone wrote out a detailed and thoughtful explainer of what happened with the "secret Jewish tunnels" in Brooklyn. There is probably a way to make the story shorter, but then it won't make sense to anyone who has not encountered Chabad before.

Those who have encountered the Hassidim before just shrug and say, "Oh yeah, typical Chabad." Unfortunately but predictably, the story spawned the most vile anti-Semitic slander.

One thing that the OP, being somewhat of an insider, doesn't make clear - non-Jews look at the Hassidim in their dark coats and think, oh, these must be very staid traditional Jews. In reality, these guys are way out there. Their way of exuberantly joyous worship came out of places of extreme poverty, hardship, and oppression where their leaders decided that since it was not possible for everyone in their community to be the best scholar possible, they were going to vibe with God harder than anyone else instead. (extreme oversimplification, but it's true that you haven't seen a party until you've seen the Hassidim party)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I enjoyed that a lot, Frelga.

Was very reassuring that there was no satanic, blood sacrificing pedo ring down there stashing weapons for and also against Hamas.

(And I'd better add - in case of misunderstanding - that the above is sarcasm)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That took me a long while to read because much of it was unfamiliar territory to me and I have so little background knowledge. I often think we'd be better without religion. Any religion.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Eh, people can't help making up systems of belief, whether or not God is included. Take it from me, an ostensibly atheistic system is not better.

I am not a big fan of NYP but they nailed it.
20240111_075543.jpg
20240111_075543.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 1834 times