Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:18 am Plus there's this small point:

Screenshot 2022-03-07 171612.png
LOL.. 'small point' therein lies the rub. I doubt anyone would describe Trump as 'detail oriented'.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Do you know what I hate almost more than anything? I can *hear* his voice when I read that :rage:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My brain just liquefied.
Screenshot_20220316-172445.jpg
Screenshot_20220316-172445.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:nono:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is just crossing into comic book villainy.
Bellingcat can confirm that three members of the delegation attending the peace talks between Ukraine and Russia on the night of 3 to 4 March 2022 experienced symptoms consistent with poisoning with chemical weapons. One of victims was Russian entrepreneur Roman Abramovich.
Rest of the thread, including a link to a paywalled WSJ article.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

"Poison is for weaklings, they say. The English poet Phineas Fletcher (1582-1650) may have been the first to coin the term "coward's weapon," but the opinion has not dissipated in the centuries since; even a character in George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones recently sniped that poison was a gutless way to kill.
From the expert opinions I've been reading/listening to, it seems Putin/Russia has focused on and spent a great amount on spying, disinformation, scare tactics and other nasty impish disruptive behavior and failed to maintain their military apparatus.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh ffs
Screenshot_20220406-104536.jpg
Screenshot_20220406-104536.jpg (80.32 KiB) Viewed 2028 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good grief, people have lost their minds. We had elections here yesterday and the results were not good.

I thought Steve Bannon was in jail or something. Or was he one of the pardoned elite?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Steve Bannon was pardoned by Trump but subsequently was charged with criminal contempt for failing to cooperate with the 1/6 Select Committee and is out on bail awaiting trial which is scheduled for July 18.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This is a real image from a television special hosted by Tucker Carlson last night:

The show is titled The End of Men, and its thesis apparently is that masculinity is on the decline because of low testosterone, for which one supposed cure is genital tanning.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:shock: :suspicious: :doh: :nono: I don't think that's legal in Florida. Or Texas.

I saw a clip of the preview in which someone switched out the original music (Thus Spoke Zarathustra/2001: Space Odyessy) with Village People's YMCA. Seems fitting.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um, that seems like an excellent way to wreck your sperm count. They be sensitive to heat. But maybe people who tan their bit shouldn't be in the business of procreating anyway...

Question: is Fox News embracing homoeroticism? Because that screen shot. That's...really something.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

When Kid Rock is the voice of reason.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:47 am
Question: is Fox News embracing homoeroticism? Because that screen shot. That's...really something.
That seems to be the big question on the internet, specifically in regards to Tucker Carlson. This was his particular special, he was not just a narrator.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A newly-declassified FBI report indicates that the long-suspected belief that two of the 9/11 hijackers received financial assistance for their trip to the U.S. (he bought their plane tickets and signed their lease) from someone on the payroll of the Saudi Arabian government.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Wow. And the U.S. continues to make nice with the Saudis because...oil.

Notice they were conspicuously absent from the list when Trump banned travelers from Muslim countries soon after he was elected!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Not a big enough race to merit inclusion in the 2022 election thread, but:

And it's even worse than that summary makes out.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

An Illinois college founded in 1865 for African American students is closing its doors after a crippling ransomware attack:
“Lincoln College was a victim of a cyberattack in December 2021 that thwarted admissions activities and hindered access to all institutional data, creating an unclear picture of Fall 2022 enrollment projections,” the school wrote in its announcement. “All systems required for recruitment, retention, and fundraising efforts were inoperable. Fortunately, no personal identifying information was exposed. Once fully restored in March 2022, the projections displayed significant enrollment shortfalls, requiring a transformational donation or partnership to sustain Lincoln College beyond the current semester.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If I were writing a story about a cattle-stealing judge, I too would have named him Skeet.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Report: Top Southern Baptists stonewalled sex abuse victims - AP News
The Southern Baptist Convention’s Executive Committee — and thousands of its rank-and-file members — now have opportunities to address a scathing investigative report that says top SBC leaders stonewalled and denigrated survivors of clergy sex abuse over two decades while seeking to protect their own reputations.

The report, issued Sunday, says these survivors, and other concerned Southern Baptists, repeatedly shared allegations with the Executive Committee, “only to be met, time and time again, with resistance, stonewalling, and even outright hostility from some within the EC.”

The seven-month investigation was conducted by Guidepost Solutions, an independent firm contracted by the Executive Committee after delegates to last year’s national meeting pressed for a probe by outsiders.

Since then, several top Executive Committee leaders have resigned, and the body — under interim leadership — will meet Tuesday to discuss the report. Three weeks later, the SBC will convene its 2022 national meeting in Anaheim, California, and the report will be discussed there as well.
More at the link. I remember reading the original, horrifying Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News investigation when it was published in 2019, but hadn't followed subsequent developments in the story. I'm surprised the SBC has done this much; hopefully they follow through now.