Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For once, an factual headline.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Too true.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Here are some close ups that TORN has from some high resolution version of the picture that I don't know where they got.
Attachments
Two trees.jpg
Two trees.jpg (100.21 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Swan ship.jpg
Swan ship.jpg (119.39 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Short-haired character with sword.jpg
Short-haired character with sword.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Close up on city.jpg
Close up on city.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That would be some poster. I’m gonna see if I can at least get it for my desktop background.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Do you mean the overall picture, or the close up on the Two Trees? That close-up is astounding!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I meant the whole picture. Just to revel in those details! But I can’t find a high res. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

I think it was exclusive to TORN.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Those pictures almost fill up my laptop screen. I could just hit print screen, then trim it up a bit for a desktop pic.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

So that is how they envision a flat earth without sun and moon? One thing to read about it and another to see it in live-action. It doesn’t feel right in live-action because you know the earth is and has always been round. I wish he’d finished the round world version of the stories.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s a really good point, Anduril, which I missed.
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

I don't mean to rip on it unnecessarily, it just feels a bit weird to see the super-mythic elements within the same "grounded" lens as the movies.
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm I take all of this with a huge grain of salt, although Cliff Broadway ("Quickbeam") was a pretty reliable sources back in the day.

Spy Report: 20 new details emerge from Amazon’s Lord of the Rings: Characters, Sexless Nudity and Halflings!

For one thing, I had not heard previously that anything from the Silmarillion was allowed to be used. If that is true, that is a major piece of news. And the only Tolkien scholar that I had ever heard associated with the project was Tom Shippey, who supposedly left, so I really wonder who the three reference are, to be sure.
Yeah, if not Shippey then who? They brought him out at the earliest to get cred, but the radio silence now makes me feel like they're not names people would recognize.
...Seems they really are more involved in this Production than with any previous LOTR adaptation ever [including the Bakshi version in 1978 and the six Middle-earth films from Peter Jackson; per the terms of the newest deal] and are thus enjoying the creative process
I read sometime ago that Christopher vetted the 1980s BBC radio scripts.
...Elves will have short/ shorter hairstyles
Uh oh.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/med ... -1.4646214
Amazon Studios has notified the New Zealand government that it will shift the production of all future seasons of the Lord of the Rings television series to the United Kingdom, New Zealand said on Friday.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have to admit, this concerns me. I expect a lot more CGI and Studio work, and less location shots. Game of Thrones was easy to film here because it was gritty, not ethereal.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, that is disappointing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Just saw this, and I thought it would be worth noting.

Panel discussion of Amazon TV series at Oxonmoot 2021
With the Amazon TV series now just a year away, Oxonmoot are delighted to announce a panel to discuss all our hopes, fears and expectations for the series, seeking to answer the question “Can I get excited yet?”

Moderated by Tolkien Society Chair Shaun Gunner, the panel will feature Alan Sisto, Brian Sibley, Marie Bretagnole, Una McCormack and Marcel Auberon-Bulles – guaranteeing lively discussion!
Oxenmoot is Sept. 2-5, 2021. Looking at the schedule, this panel will be at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 4 (presumably Oxford time).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wow. That's a busy schedule. When we go to Oxford we mostly drink and talk :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is that not what they are doing? :D Just with an agenda.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Woohoo! Good news!

http://dlvr.it/S7sQ3C?fbclid=IwAR26k819 ... PZTGdJ7JlU
Oscar-Winning ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Howard Shore In Talks To Compose Music For Amazon Studios’ Middle Earth-Set TV Series
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, that's an eye-opener, and no mistake!