Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If it were just a case of a small side story showing a few small people staying out of the way and disappearing, that could possibly work. But they aren't hiring SIR Lenny Henry to stay out of the way and disappear.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maybe a framing story? Somehow?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You should probably avoid this Voronwë. Its only going to annoy you! :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Time will tell. But I managed to mostly enjoy the Hobbit films and they certainly took a lot of liberties that I didn't agree with. So I think I can separate out my likes and dislikes better than some. I'm still looking forward to seeing what they do with this material, though since I have discontinued my Amazon Prime membership and have no intention of renewing it, I'm not when I will get a chance to watch any of it. Mostly likely I'll know everything there is to know about it before I ever get to see it for myself!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

They wouldn't necessarily have to stay out of the way &/or disappear, it could be a separate but simultaneous story line. Perhaps the way different peoples of earth might have experienced a huge event -a volcanic eruption- in different parts of the globe in the year 3000 BC.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, I'm not buying it. :)
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:30 pm They wouldn't necessarily have to stay out of the way &/or disappear, it could be a separate but simultaneous story line. Perhaps the way different peoples of earth might have experienced a huge event -a volcanic eruption- in different parts of the globe in the year 3000 BC.
Yes, I'd say the reshaping of the world would certainly qualify to be seen from a variety of perspectives!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 pm Sorry, I'm not buying it. :)
And I'm not selling it. :D Just one possible hypothesis.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

:D
Voronwë the Faithful

Holy freakin' cow.

Lookie here:
LOTR Prime.jpg
LOTR Prime.jpg (325.31 KiB) Viewed 3081 times

That ain't Númenor, and it ain't Middle-earth either.

ETA: Oh, I guess we should also mention we have a date: September 22, 2022

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

So yeah, that's definitely two trees in the background...quite a flex there. I always expected some kind of PJ-style First Age prologue, but that they opened with this as the first official image suggests it'll be more substantial.

The rumor mill is that the first two episodes from JA Bayona will be a sort of self-contained prologue. So I wonder if they'll take place in the First Age before a big time jump and we'll actually spend more time setting things up there than anyone would have expected?
Voronwë the Faithful

Hollywood Reporter confirms that it is an image from the first episode (or at least they claim that it is).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... ssion=true
The above photo is from the show’s first episode, but the studio is not identifying the character or actor at this time (so let the speculation begin).
I am fairly sure that the character depicted is Mairon, the future Lord of the Rings.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I like the idea! Not sure about the timeline though. How early did Sauron fall, or is it vague enough to leave some wiggle room?
Voronwë the Faithful

The earliest mention of Sauron that I can think of is in "Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor" where it states:
And Melkor made also a fortress and armoury not far from the north-western shores of the sea, to resist any assault that might come from Aman. That stronghold was commanded by Sauron, lieutenant of Melkor; and it was named Angband.
So that would suggest that before the Elves ever arrived he was already not only a servant of Morgoth's but already ensconced in Middle-earth. Which would make my theory untenable.!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That is just glorious. The image, I mean.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Agreed. I'm pretty gobsmacked by it, to be honest. I wonder how I am going to be able to watch this show, without renewing my Prime membership (which I am determined not to do). Watch I will, however.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:07 am Agreed. I'm pretty gobsmacked by it, to be honest. I wonder how I am going to be able to watch this show, without renewing my Prime membership (which I am determined not to do). Watch I will, however.
You can probably buy it on DVD when it comes out? That's what I did with Good Omens.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I was able to get Good Omens from my library. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do the same for this series, as long as I don't mind waiting.

On the other hand, amazon has often offered me a free trial of Prime when I've ordered in the past. I've always turned it down, but maybe when the series comes out I'll order something for the first time in years, take the free trial and then cancel it when the time is up. =:)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good Omens was a collab with BBC, IIRC. I don't know if we can assume there will be a DVD.

I'm in complete sympathy with not subscribing to Prime, but I'm sure there will be a way to watch the show.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

My latest speculation on who the figure in the image is.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest it might be Fëanor. That would provide an excellent lead-in to the story of the Rings, and be a nod to Tolkien's desire to tell the tale of the Jewels and the Rings as one long narrative.