Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Frelga »

I kind of hope they have an entire episode of various characters yelling "Isildur!" in tones of exasperation, as the Man in question attempts increasingly dangerous and foolhardy feats.
:spin:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I've pretty much stopped following the rumors, they've been pretty bad for awhile. Hopefully they're wrong but they might not be. The last time I checked there was something about a character arriving in Middle-earth with a meteor?

I believe there was also a rumor awhile back about child Galadriel crossing the Helcaraxë in the prologue, which (if true) is just an incredibly stupid way to destroy her character arc. Whatever version of her story you use, she has to freely make the decision to leave Valinor as an adult. If it happens, making this basic an unforced error in the prologue bodes really poorly for whether they understand what they're adapting at all. And this is coming from someone who's fairly lenient on adaptive changes and has given this project the benefit of the doubt for years.

Anyway, mostly I've lowered my expectations and will see now if Amazon can pleasantly surprise me when it comes out.
Last edited by kzer_za on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not sure where you heard either of those things. :?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

The meteor one I'd only picked up by reading discussion but I checked and here it is from FoF, in the first two minutes. A character comes on meteor/comet and is found by Harfoots.

The child Galadriel prologue one (which I actually sort of think is even worse) I saw in a Fellowship of Fans video a few months ago so it would be harder to find now, maybe I'll try later. It's not impossible I'm misremembering or mixing rumors up but I don't think I am.
Voronwë the Faithful

I missed those, apparently. More proof that the FoF people are making stuff up.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I certainly hope so, or Amazon is feeding them false info. Still they have been right in the past (such as Second Age Hobbits and casting/crew things), but it is of course possible some of their sources are less reliable than others.
Voronwë the Faithful

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'll say the part about throwing flowers while Isildur rides out is the most offensive in the one you posted, because it's such a hamfisted LotR reference to Faramir's departure in the Jackson films. In a situation that has almost nothing in common with RotK's (regardless of whether he's going to help Middle-earth or conquer).

And yeah I hope you're right about FoF.
Voronwë the Faithful

Agreed, although his sister yelling "Isildurrrrrrrrr" in an echo of Elrond in FOTR isn't far behind.

It certainly is possible that the FoF people are on the up and up -- some of the stuff they are saying certainly sounds like the type of things a studio might do -- but I've seen too much made up stuff over the past two decades to not be suspicious.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can't see the photo you posted, but I could click on the link. Those are nicely done.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Red dress looks like she's holding a keyboard :suspicious:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think it's (supposed to be) a book, but I had to do a double-take as well.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

What's with the Goldfinger one?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:15 am What's with the Goldfinger one?
I'm gonna go with Sauron as Annatar
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah I wondered that too.

I can't quite figure out whether I think the putting out of character posters just showing the hands and not the heads is a cool marketing strategy or just stupid.

X-posted with elengil.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:58 pm I can't quite figure out whether I think the putting out of character posters just showing the hands and not the heads is a cool marketing strategy or just stupid.
I mean... it's called the Rings of Power... >.>
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I hope they're not casting every single ring-bearer, would spread the series awfully thin. The posters add up to 23 though, so that's probably not what's going on (there are 20 rings of power).
elengil

Post by elengil »

kzer_za wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:08 pm I hope they're not casting every single ring-bearer, would spread the series awfully thin. The posters add up to 23 though, so that's probably not what's going on (there are 20 rings of power).
Well I don't even see rings on all the hands I'm just guessing that is the point of the posters focusing on hands...

It is kinda fun to guess at "okay, that's a Dwarf, that *might* be an elf? Oh that's definitely a Hobbit"
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think it's brilliant. It represents the peoples (and important items) of Middle Earth without casting too much importance on any one character which would lead people into narratives that may or may not be based on one particular character.