fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, that is just lovely.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That is pretty- but I'm not understanding---- is that marquetry or applique of straw? I've never seen straw applique before and don't know what it looks like.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maria, that's the straw.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Is that done on fabric/felt? Or lacquered onto wood?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The method I know is to flatten the straws, dye if desired (or you can pick different natural colors) then glue the straws to the paper shapes and cut out. Glue to a wooden board, and cover with lacquer.

There may be a way to do it on a fabric base, but I don't know how. It would need to be on a rigid backing and the lacquer is also important to fixing the straw and preserving it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

There's some amazing stuff out there!
straw applique.jpg
straw applique.jpg (202 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
https://thestrawshop.com/straw-applique/

I never knew you could do things like that with straw. I've never even considered straw for artistic purposes.

Wow!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Now you have me interested with the intarsia. I've had it in the back of my mind to knit something highly complex. I think about it, but haven't done it. Here's a pic of the back of a sweater I knitted many eons ago. It's of the family's fishing cabin. Thanks to my extremely tight gage, it didn't fit my hubby, whom I had knit it for. Now his grandniece is the right size for it, so I've handed it down to her.

Traditional Tlingit blankets are woven of mountain goat wool, with fine strands of cedar bark spun into the warp - no problems with moths for these blankets - some of them 200-300 years old.
Attachments
3mi Sweater sm.JPG
3mi Sweater sm.JPG (63.92 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That's a nice depiction! I've been thinking about trying a sweater with crochet. Maybe after my next few projects are done. Crochet isn't as stretchy as knit, so I'll have to make cardigan style, I think.

And I like the idea of cedar fiber woven in to keep moths away. How do they make it soft enough to not be splintery?
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

The blankets have very fine fibers added to the wool from the thin cambium layer between the bark and the wood of the tree. It's flexible and has a high tensile strength, and can be split down to threadlike pieces and added into wool as you spin it. It is also used (in 1/4 inch wide strips) to make baskets and hats.

Like the hats in this webpage, by a friend of mine.
https://www.haidacreations.com/cedar-weaving1.html

And the blankets in this webpage.
https://alaskamagazine.com/authentic-al ... t-weaving/
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Those are both extremely beautiful, and superbly crafted!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Very interesting! Cedar trees are weeds here, and I would have no trouble at all getting some of that inner bark to experiment with. I'd love to be able to make something moth proof out of my sheep's wool.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:55 pm Those are both extremely beautiful, and superbly crafted!
That's because I didn't show you photos of what I've done. :rofl:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

narya wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:47 am The blankets have very fine fibers added to the wool from the thin cambium layer between the bark and the wood of the tree. It's flexible and has a high tensile strength, and can be split down to threadlike pieces and added into wool as you spin it.
Is it added to keep bugs out of the wool?? I was pondering the possible benefits of having cedar spun with wool and that one just jumped out as a great benefit to keep your beautiful wool weaving from getting bug holes!

And curious what they used for the blue dye, a muscle or snail of some kind? Blue seems a less common natural dye so I wonder if it is similar to the Jewish blue dye?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

Regarding the dyes, I'd always heard the blue-green dyes involved urine and copper. Here is a more nuanced look: https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/han ... sAllowed=y

Yes, the cedar is to keep the bugs out of the wool in Chilkat dance blankets, though it has the added benefit of making the blanket a bit stiffer, which made it dance more beautifully.

Maria, the inner bark is actually harvested from the tree while it is still standing, in narrow vertical strips. https://www.haidanation.ca/kiss-humming ... arvesting/
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you have always wanted to make a cross-stitch of that infamous French manuscript illustrations of a nun gathering phalluses from a tree, the pattern is on etsy. NSFW, obviously.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Eeks. And lol. Simultaneously.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I want to do the one with the cat running away from the nun with the thing in its mouth.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

:shock: Holy swear words. Is that from the Luttrell Psalter?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Jude wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:01 am :shock: Holy swear words. Is that from the Luttrell Psalter?
It's marginalia from Roman de la Rose. Those 14th century French people. :nono:
elengil wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:34 am I want to do the one with the cat running away from the nun with the thing in its mouth.
If I say I was thinking about you when I posted this, please be assured that I only meant your proficiency with needlecraft and your expertise in antique art. :halo:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh. My. Word. :shock: Kids these days. Err.. I mean...
No excuse coming to mind..