fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That has to be an enormous job! I am very fortunate my Pip's hair doesn't matt, that and she's much smaller. I usually get her regularly groomed, but she's so old (and blind and deaf) that perhaps I'll let it slide.. although then I have to bathe her more often.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Recent hats:
20210113_210944.jpg
20210113_210944.jpg (111.73 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So cool!! I love the stripy one :love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That one feels the nicest, because it is done with worsted wool that I spun myself. The cream colored wool in the other hats was from some fleeces I sent off to a wool mill a few years back. It is spun in the woolen style and is fuzzier. The worsted wool fibers are aligned in the same direction and feel smoother and have a slight sheen to them.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. Ewe are magnificent! :D
elengil

Post by elengil »

I got bored so I'm making exceptionally, painfully tiny dipped candles using two strands of embroidery floss and just the melted wax out of my candle. lol
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

For the tiny book thing?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:For the tiny book thing?
Yup!!
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

So.. *goes back and checks* 3 weeks later, I have finally settled on the "floor plan" for my little booknook diorama because... I'm an indecisive sloth when it comes to my own architecture. But I have a plan and have *dun dun DUN* started cutting out wall pieces!!!

This is quite exciting!
was a 2020 planner.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Maria, theyre really cute beanies! You're inspiring me to expand my knitting adventures.

Elengil, I am so envious of your skill! I'm still looking for a booknook kit to pit together. I'm not even going to kid myself that I can emulate your from-the-ground-up DIY.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Those are crocheted hats. I've tried knitting a few times, but I like the process of crocheting better.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It seems people prefer one or the other. I tried crocheting, but knitting just feels better.

I still can't make up my mind for the next project. Elengil's suggestion of fingerless gloves was genius, but it's just so warm now that I don't want that kind of coziness.

I'm debating emailing the local shop and asking them to make up a kit for me. Maybe a cotton sweater for my son's graduation.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I like crocheting because my grandmother kept at it after she went blind. I still have an afghan she made then, out of rather appalling shades of orange, white and green . :help: Anyway, I often practiced crocheting with my eyes closed, because I was fascinated by how she did that. As it is, I only have to glance down once in a while to make sure I'm still on track.

You just can't do that with knitting, cuz a dropped stitch will completely unravel the whole thing. A dropped stitch in crochet means weird tension and that's about it.

It's not as soft and stretchy as knit, though. That said, that hat pattern is the softest, stretchiest crochet pattern I've ever found.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote: rather appalling shades of orange, white and green . :help:
IRELAND!

Or Ivory Coast, depending on which way you display it lol
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

She could see color very faintly, and the only way to keep the yarns straight was to have very vivid colored yarn. Thus... weird color choices.
She was legally blind, but not completely blind.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:She could see color very faintly, and the only way to keep the yarns straight was to have very vivid colored yarn. Thus... weird color choices.
She was legally blind, but not completely blind.
I suppose one could overdye it with a darker color and try to tone down? But that's also kind of a cool family artifact to keep intact.
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The weird thing is, my mother in law made one for us with the same zig zag pattern and almost the same color choices. Her version was bigger stitches and toned down on the colors, though. Maybe it was a 70's era fad someone advised my grandmother on? But yeah, I wouldn't change it. It is one of the few momentos I have from my maternal grandmother.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, definitely '70's colors. Tangerine, Yellow, Avocado.

I have done tons of creative things, sewing, molding, painting, etc.. but I can only 'knit' on a loom, which limits what I can make. Not long ago I read an article about these small knobby balls (Roman dodecahedron found in ancient excavations and they couldn't figure out what they were used for but some enterprising person used them as a tool for knitting gloves.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Heh...shades of the leather burnisher I posted about upstream!

I was thinking it was something to do with knitting or crocheting, because it reminded me of a toy I had as a child, where you could knit a long, skinny tube of yarn. I forget what it was called...

It looked like this, only the tube was just painted plain red: https://www.wish.com/product/59ede3e4cd ... &share=web

Edit: apparently it's called a spool knitter. I now remember the name we called it by as kids: corking! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jC6sKn ... lepointers
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh! A spool knitter. I have friends who told me they used those (homemade ones) as children. My hat and scarf looms operate the same way. They are larger. The one for hats is round, the one for scarves is oblong.