fiber arts and handicrafts

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: fiber arts and handicrafts

Post by elengil »

It's my dream cottage cozy room - So the box is going to be looking into the living room but the 'back' wall of the house is going to actually be the house's front which will open onto a garden so you'll see this little bit of garden through the window and a stone wall around it and I'll probably paste on a nice picture of some rolling hills in the background beyond and a little gate and everything but like you'll probably never even see most of the detail but I'LL KNOW IT'S THERE! LOL

But this one room will have a fireplace, window seat, comfy chair, side table, book shelf, and desk, and all the bits of décor I can manage. :)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh! That sounds really lovely.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Oh! That sounds really lovely.
Thank you :D

I did about 4 iterations of the layout before I settled on the one I liked best and worked best in the space. But I am going to have a set of 24x36 scale (so 1" x 1 1/2") house plans of what the whole house would look like on the desk. Because... reasons. LOL So lets see... if I make the drawings 1/4" scale relative to the build, and the build is already 1/2" scale... that would make the drawing

um...

okay, so if my first scale is 1:24, and the relative scale is 1:48, then ... I... multiply them... ? 1:1152?? That doesn't seem right. Well wait, 1152/12 is 96 so 1" = 96', maybe that does sound right.

1/8" final scale? Oh yes, there we go. 1/4 * 1/2 would be 1/8" = 1'. Now that seems way too big? We do 1/8" scale plans regularly, that would be too big. Bluh. I've been up since way too early to math yet.

1/96.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For Elengil, and any one else interested in teeny, weenie creators/creations. Diorama artist Hank Cheng

Also, if you ever happen to find yourself in Chicago, go to the art museum and visit the Thorne miniature rooms.

Quite frankly, I'd never be able to do the math. I'd have to eyeball it.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. :)
elengil

Post by elengil »

I haven't been idle, just trying to get good pictures to show. I've made a tiny little table that really ended up being more like a kitchen island so it might need a different 'home' - but then having made the kitchen island, I made a kitchen towel, and then spatula, spoons, and a large serving fork, then a 'beaten copper' bowl, and a couple of knives...
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It will be fun to see how it turns out elengil. A fun hobby!

A few years ago my daughter gifted me a small glass mini garden which I placed miniatures in. They are mostly natural items (stones, shells) or purchased items (bench, gazebo, bridge). I made the little raccoon on the bench and the gazing ball.
Attachments
garden.jpg
garden.jpg (86.03 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

Oh that's adorable! And it has a palantír :D
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The past week I've been crocheting hats as a calming exercise when listening to news.
I'm on hat number 3 now. I may have to think of a different thing to crochet. :help: We really don't need so many beanies.

*sigh*
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Afghan? I don't think the news is going to get dull any time soon. Unfortunately.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm not actually done with the afghan I've been working on for years, yet. I could go back to doing granny squares for that, of course, but I'm really kinda bored with endless granny squares.

Maybe a scarf to go with one of the hats....
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:I'm not actually done with the afghan I've been working on for years, yet. I could go back to doing granny squares for that, of course, but I'm really kinda bored with endless granny squares.

Maybe a scarf to go with one of the hats....
Gloves (fingered or otherwise), sweater, slippers... :D
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I kind of want to make something ridiculously oversized and see if I can shrink the wool to the right size with washing. That would make a really dense windproof garment. Stiff though. Hmmmm.....
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:I kind of want to make something ridiculously oversized and see if I can shrink the wool to the right size with washing. That would make a really dense windproof garment. Stiff though. Hmmmm.....
Wouldn't that just be like fulling something? Might work better than you think... slightly felting it?
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I wondered about felting too, but I don't know enough about the process.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I wondered about felting too, but I don't know enough about the process.
I *think* you get it warm/wet and soapy and rub it between two other pieces of fabric, but I don't know the exact details. I do know that there are certain wools that don't felt well, so that may be a consideration in choosing the yarn.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have a friend who searches for old wool sweaters/clothing in thrift shops and she felts them into (expensive, high-end) art purses and hats.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've felted things on accident and on purpose before. Once I made a huge purse out of both knitting and crochet- and then washed it to shrink it to the size I wanted.
Turns out the crochet part shrank at different rates than the knitted part and it was pretty unusable. I've also made big thick yarn and prewashed it to felt it to where it wouldn't shrink anymore, and then crocheted a small rug out of it. That rug can be washed without damage because it is pre felted. I don't wash it very often, though, because it takes forever for it to dry.

Felting is a risk I run every time I wash some raw wool from my sheep. There are definite rules when handling wool so that it doesn't felt.

What happens with felting is that when you get the wool wet and warm, the little scales open up on the wool fibers and if you add agitation the little scales start grabbing together like velcro and bunching closer and closer together. If you pour cold water on them at that point, they lock together. It can't be undone, as far as I know. So I wash dirty fleeces by soaking them in hot, soapy water without agitation. Drain, and then rinse them in water hotter than they were at drainage time. Handle them as little as possible until they cool off, then blot them with an old towel and spread them out to dry. My husband made me a rack out of PVC and we use window screens to spread the wool out on.

Here are half of last year's fleeces:
20201221_071329.jpg
20201221_071329.jpg (309.68 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
I got the other half done last weekend, so my kitchen is full of wool again. It takes about 2 full days to get that much washed, because each batch has to be soaked about an hour (to allow the water heater to heat up again) and you can't do much per batch because it is so filthy. Some times the wash water looks like chocolate milk after the soaking time is over.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Someone once gave me a piece of fleece because my daughter was doing a school project on Mongolia and she made a mini ger (yurt). They go through what is a felting process, which sounds like it's a lot easier than non-felting!

I see your doggo is hanging in there! :D
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I wish it were so simple to wash him! I have to get him completely brushed out and de-matted before he gets a bath, or he matts even worse. That's about 6-7 hours work, pre bath time. So it doesn't happen often.