Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd say Beau has the right take of it.

My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Phil Williams, a reporter at WTVF NewsChanel 5, a local TV station in Nashville, writes: "Privately, some Republicans express concern to me that these events are not only alienating independents, but also GOP women who don’t want their kids getting killed at school."

As opposed to the GOP women who do want their kids getting killed at school?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

One of the lessons from Sandy Hook is that, for some, there is no school shooting horrific enough for an honest conversation about America's gun fetish. And those who feel that way are numerous and powerful and well-funded enough that nothing gets done and kids keep getting their bodies blown apart in school. In fact, some of them actively oppose even talking about getting something done, which is why the TN statehouse is now down two lawmakers who had the audacity, the sheer unbridled nerve, to be upset about kids getting shot in school.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:12 pm Phil Williams, a reporter at WTVF NewsChanel 5, a local TV station in Nashville, writes: "Privately, some Republicans express concern to me that these events are not only alienating independents, but also GOP women who don’t want their kids getting killed at school."

As opposed to the GOP women who do want their kids getting killed at school?
Probably as opposed to those GOP women who would like their children to be able to take weapons to school. :nono:

River, I've recently been wondering what the conversation might be like if the acts of terrorism, death and destruction were something other than guns. Say, something Timothy McVeigh style, using a vehicle as a weapon of mass destruction. Perhaps loaded with flammables. Molotov cocktails, etc.. If these 'lawmakers' were manufacturers of something that caused this many deaths and they didn't find a way to fix the problem, they would be shut down &/or regulated. Can you imagine the airline industry getting away with this many deaths? The 'lawmakers' are the problem. They should be voted out if they cannot find a way to at least attempt to fix this problem.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is inspiring.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Will never forget John Oliver's anti-gun rant about this, Rose:

Really doesn't make a lick of sense, does it? :(

Voronwë, yes, that is indeed encouraging! :thumbsup:
Attachments
Shoe bomber vs gun control.png
Shoe bomber vs gun control.png (235.14 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

President Biden spoke with the Tennessee Three this evening:

Edited to add: And Vice President Harris met with them in person, followed by a meeting with all Democrats in Tennessee's legislature:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:54 am Did they even make any effort to differentiate why the black legislators were expelled? And the white one wasn't? So far as I know she did exactly the same thing that they did.
IIRC, she was not-expelled by one vote.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

My understanding is that there were 5 legislators who voted to expel the Justins but not her.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And then the Tennessee GOP said, sure, everyone is talking about how evil and racist we are, but are we being evil enough?

Memphis could lose funding for major projects if Pearson appointed back to seat, commissioner says
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

❤️

Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm really glad this happened. I hope the other Justin is reinstated as well. The voice of the people should not be silenced or taken away via vindictive stealth of those with an authoritarian bent. Same goes for the erosion of election rights and crafty gerrymandering.
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently it's not guns that kill people. It's pronouns.

Louisville Shooter Connor Sturgeon's Pronouns Spark Outrage

One example from the article:

SMH
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, I guess they have a point. The shooter in Las Vegas went by He/Him. So did the one at the nightclub in Orlando. And Newtown/Sandy Hook elementary. Parkland. Uvalde. Littleton/Columbine HS. The list (sadly) goes on and on. :nono:
Voronwë the Faithful

Both expelled representatives have now been reinstated.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

With this

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:42 pm With this

Tucker Carlson is big mad that Pearson had a different haircut in college.

He's also apparently never seen The Departed.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Breaking: area man discovers that hair grows.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Different haircuts/styles. Who knew.

Tucker obviously has a problem that a black man was accepted at a prestigious university (after he was turned down from several of his choices after being schooled at expensive boarding schools).