Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Rest in Peace PTerry [emoji20]

Post by Inanna »

Oh wow. I didn’t know!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Rest in Peace PTerry :(

Post by Frelga »

In times like this, Guards! Guards! Should be required reading.
Let the other societies take the skilled, the hopefuls, the ambitious, the self-confident. He’d take the whining resentful ones, the ones with a bellyful of spite and bile, the ones who knew they could make it big if only they’d been given the chance. Give him the ones in which the floods of venom and vindictiveness were dammed up behind thin walls of ineptitude and lowgrade paranoia.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Rest in Peace PTerry [emoji20]

Post by Inanna »

It looks amazing.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Seven years ago...

Found this tribute on Callahan's Crosstime Saloon today. It was written by Nick Mogavero

""I would like my pudding now nurse. And then I think I'd like to... write... something... I don't remember what."
Standing in the corner, he waits. The sand slowly flows, but it nears it's end. The old man still glows, as thousands of threads spread away from him.
SQUEAK.
I AGREE. IT IS A SHAME TO SEE HIM THIS WAY.
SQUEAK.
NO. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN.... BUT I CANNOT WAIT TO ASK HIM HOW IT ALL ENDS.
The old man looks up, through them at first... and then he sees them. For once, the smile on the hooded figure's skull is genuine.
"I... I remember you. The anth... ant..."
ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION.
"Yes, that. We knew each other?"
ONCE. AND WILL AGAIN, SIR.
He so rarely said it, and these feelings... remembering his young aprentice, and beloved daughter. The beautiful child they have.
"There... is a girl, yes?"
SHE IS SPEAKING TO THE AUDITORS, SIR. THEY ARE UNWILLING TO LISTEN.
"Well then. You know what they say, two things you cannot avoid. Taxes and..." He looks into the firey blue eyes, and becomes aware.
SQUEAK.
"Quite right. Is it time already? I have so much left to do."
YOU HAVE GIVEN ALL YOU CAN SIR.
"No, not cancer. Alzheimers."
I AM AWARE.
"So, where is the boy? I remember a boy."
CARRIAGE ACCIDENT.
"Ahh. Never much trusted cars. Or horses."
THEY GET YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
"Must I?"
SOON. BUT WE MAY SIT HERE AWHILE.
SQUEAK
DO YOU HAVE ANY BISCUITS?
"No. Shame really."
YES.
"Is it truely turtles?"
ALL THE WAY DOWN. I HAVE SEEN THEM.
"Ahh. I would love to see it. Perhaps a small trip before?"
IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE.
"The light is slower there... and there's a monkey...."
ORANGUTAN. SAME PRINCIPLE.
"Yes... will they remember me?"
SQUEAK.
"What was that? I could not hear you."
HE SAYS WE WILL, SIR.
"I never much liked the trouble people had with you. You seem like a nice fellow."
I HAVE MY DAYS.
"Don't we all?"
SOME LESS THAN OTHERS.
"Is it quick?"
YES. AND I BROUGHT THE SWORD. CEREMONY DICTATES IT.
"Ahh. How about a cup of tea?"
I WOULD ENJOY IT. DO YOU PLAY CHESS?
"No. how about checkers?"
And so they sat, two old friends regaling each other, though the old man could not remember all of the details, the cloaked man and his rat filled him in, when it was needed. "
(Nick Mogavero)
Daffyd steps up to the line.
"Seven years now....GNU Sir Pterry! "
<< CRASH! >>
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This is the first I've heard of this. Are you planning to get the audiobooks?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Probably, but in a sale.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not much notice, but some here might find this of interest.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1020582695
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm intrigued by whatever it is, but Facebook says I have to create an account to see it. Any chance you could post the gist?

Voronwë the Faithful

Let me try again:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

If that still isn't showing, it is a Zoom discussion of Terry Pratchett's Witches stories, with Janet Brennan Croft, the editor of MythLore, and all-around good person.
Voronwë the Faithful

Event by David Lenander, David Emerson and 2 others
Public · Anyone on or off Facebook
Please join our conversation
"Terry Pratchett’s Witches"
with Janet Brennan Croft
Associate University Librarian for Content Discovery at the University of Northern Iowa, and author of “Nice, Good or Right: Faces of the Wise Woman in Terry Pratchett’s “Witches” Novels,” Mythlore 26:3/4 Spring/Summer 2008, pp. 151-164 She is currently editor of Mythlore, published by The Mythopoeic Society, our “parent” organization.
Saturday, June 25, 2022
1:30 p.m.
Via ZOOM
The link will be posted on our webpage & Facebook Group just before the meeting.
The Discworld books of Terry Pratchett are some of the best-selling and best-loved books of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, though less-known in the US than Europe and elsewhere. We’re going to focus on the Witches sub-series, and talk with Janet Croft, who’s written a fine paper on the witches, and has more thoughts about the books. Check out our Facebook page for links to Janet’s article and the Wikipedia entry on “Witches (Discworld).” From Janet’s paper:
"Most of the Discworld novels fall into distinct series, depending on which cast of recurring characters is featured. The “Witches” series focuses on two recurring characters, Esmerelda “Granny” Weatherwax and Gytha “Nanny” Ogg, and several different apprentice witches: Eskarina Smith, Magrat Garlick, Agnes Nitt, and in the recent young adult novels, Tiffany Aching. Throughout this series, Pratchett explores themes of free will, right and wrong, and the ethics of power, often using the terms “Nice,” “Good,” and “Right” to express particular moral concepts and outlooks. "
The Witches sub-series includes these six books, pictured on the flier: (many different covers have been employed)_Equal Rites_, _Wyrd Sisters_, _Witches Abroad_, _Lords & Ladies_, _Masquerade_, _Carpe Jugular_; probably _Wyrd Sisters_, and _Witches Abroad_ are the best to start with, though the individual books are separate stories. A second series about apprentice witch Tiffany Aching, published for young adults and containing some of Pratchett’s finest writing, begins with _Wee Free Men_ and _A Hat Full of Sky_ (which received the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award).
The Rivendell Discussions
Monthly discussions of Fantasy in the traditions of Ursula K. Le Guin, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis & the Inklings
Check our web-sites for more plans: www.rivendellergroup.com also www.mythsoc.org
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Awesome! Thank you, V.

Voronwë the Faithful

Just in case it is not clear, the 1:30 time referred to is CDT, so it actually starts, I believe, in about 20 minutes.
Voronwë the Faithful

Some may be interested in the latest release from Mythopoeic Press.

Mapping a Sense of Humor

Narrative and Space in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Novels

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Has anyone managed to get their hands on any of those audiobooks that were discussed earlier on this page?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just checked Apple Books and they're on there for about €13 each
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I listened to a 5-minute preview of Maskerade. Indira Varma is an excellent reader.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

In honor of the Glorious 25th of May, here's the letter that a nineteen-year old Pratchett wrote to Tolkien.
22 November, 1967

Dear Professor Tolkien;

This is simply a letter of appreciation. I have just read "Smith of Wootton Major". To tell the truth, when I ordered it I expected a light tale akin to "Farmer Giles of Ham"--instead I read and re-read it with awe.

I don't know what there was in it that moved me to write this letter. It was something that "The Lord of the Rings" never possessed except in very short measure, that Christmas long ago when I read it. I cannot explain the feeling of recognition. You said something in "Smith" which I hope I grasped, and there was a feeling almost of recognition. An odd feeling of grief overcame me when I read it. I cannot explain my feelings any clearer. It was like hearing a piece of music from way back, except that it was nearer poetry by Graves' definition. Thank you very much for writing it.

Now I await the Silmarilion,

Yours faithfully,

Terence Pratchett
And the background:
When Tolkien was an old man he wrote a short story called Smith of Wootton Major. He described it as being ‘written with deep emotion, partly drawn from my own experience of the bereavement of “retirement”, and of advancing age.’ The first fan letter he received in response to this work came from a young Terry Pratchett, who was already making a living from writing as a journalist on a local newspaper, The Bucks Free Press. Although only nineteen years old, Pratchett grasped the depth of feeling in the book and also the sense of bereavement that lay behind it. He wrote to Tolkien, ‘An odd feeling of grief overcame me as I read it.’ As with most of his fan mail Tolkien wrote a personal reply: ‘You evidently feel about the story very much as I do myself. I can hardly say more.’

– From Tolkien: Maker of Middle-Earth, page 102
Found on https://discworldtour.tumblr.com/