The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Expanse

Post by Primula Baggins »

The books are huge, and there’s just not room for everything. They’ve made choices different than I would have made, too; but others I think have been excellent (see the end of Season 3).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Here would be the place to discuss aspects, with spoiler tag?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sure!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

In my opinion the worst thing they added in was:
Hidden text.
Clarissa/Melba breaking up the body. That was just horrible and I can't get it out of my head. Wasn't stuffing it into a locker and filling it with sealant foam bad enough for the script writers? Yuck!
And the nicest thing they eliminated entirely was:
Hidden text.
The crowd funding of the Rocinante to find Prax's daughter. What did eliminating that accomplish? Can't show humans having a good side? Leaving that out eliminates some of the reality of the cost of running the ship.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Shit. This gets scary.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Where are you, Inanna?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

They found Anubis, and then Julie Mao on Eros.

It’s the whole music & build up.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Next episode now - shit. Gawd I hope I don’t have nightmares. :P

Goodnight!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:Where are you, Inanna?
At home. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wull, I knew that....
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm starting to hate the books.

It started with
Hidden text.
all the violence in "Cibola Burn" and how awful the people were to each other, and it's absolutely insane what they've done to the Earth in "Nemesis Games." How could anyone think the Belt could survive without goods from Earth? :bang:
and my distaste grows every time they go into the POV of a person who has done horrific things and expect you to feel sympathy.

When season 3 ended and
Hidden text.
the gate network was revealed, I thought we'd move on to a story kind of like StarGate. Episodic exploration excursions into wonderfully weird and dangerous scenarios with aliens. Or at least alien artifacts. Instead all we are getting is more human hostility towards each other and dooming new colonies by cutting them off from supplies. And killing off most of the population of Earth. :x I hate post apocalyptic stories, btw. I admit, I used to find them fascinating long ago, but I burned out and nowadays, I'd really rather see people pulling along together for the common good.

Right now I'm in "Babylon's Ashes" in Phillip's head... and mostly I'm thinking, "I hate this... I hate this.... I hate this...."

Of course, he's going to probably switch sides and save the day and end up as part of the Rocinante's crew like Clarrissa Mao did. :nono:

Can't we just go back to exploring???? :cry:
If I didn't have so much crocheting to do and needing a long series to occupy my brain while I do it, I'd abandon this series for something less depressing.

One more book... :scarey: They are probably still going to have people doing awful things to each other the whole time. *sigh*

Edit: And I miss Miller. :(
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That "one more book" is going to be a game changer. Not that it will allay your reasons for disliking the books...
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I keep telling myself the whole series can't be such a downer if they developed it for TV. I'm glad you say things will be changing. I'm getting pretty tired of *only* our protagonists being decent people. Some of our protagonists, anyway.

And the more I think about it, having Avasarala and Amos being comic relief is pretty darn weird. Although I did laugh out loud at some of their exchanges.

I guess I'm at the low point of the series story arc? Where everything is awful and there's no hope in sight for humanity? And the upswing starts next book???? (hope.... hope... hope...)

Edit: If I had paper books I'd be really tempted to peek ahead right now.

:help:
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Well... I didn't see that coming! :shock:

Now on to "Persepolis Rising"! :horse:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Aha! Wasn’t that a twister! Glad it kept you interested. :)

On the show, I’m at the stage where
Hidden text.
people in Eros are going to become vomiting zombies, and I am NOT looking forward to it. Although I have to say that the bit about Naomi using Miller’s cop friend to open the docks to get the Roci is more believable than the book version
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I fixed your spoiler tags, Inanna.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm almost through with Persepolis Rising now.
I can best describe my reaction as morbid fascination.

It's like watching a train wreck. I can't take my eyes off it, but I hate what is happening.

I guess that's a sign of good writing? It's really good sci fi and great character development, but I really keep wishing that the poor characters could just *win* and live happily ever after.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I fixed your spoiler tags, Inanna.
:oops: sorry, and thank you.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So, Tiamat’s Wrath just popped into my kindle (As it must have in Prim’s kindle).

So, did it pop into anyone else’s? I haven’t read it yet....
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I just checked and it's on audible, too. It just kind of jumped in my cart and I bought it. I complain about this series so much and there I am buying the next book. :bang:

:nono:

I'm a sucker for sticking with a series.
Last edited by Maria on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.