The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Re: The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

Post by Elentári »

Oh great! :roll:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The sad thing is I was going to watch it yesterday when it was posted at TORN, but I said "I'll just watch it tomorrow." Boo!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There's a new link been posted on TORn - I don't know if it's US-friendly or not, but catch it if you can!

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just coming to post that here. That one works. It is, by the way, apparently created by TORN poster PryftanAW. Just to give credit where credit is due. Very well done, and I suspect that I goodly amount of that material will be in. But not all of it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:There's a new link been posted on TORn - I don't know if it's US-friendly or not, but catch it if you can!

I'm such a horrible person. I watched that video, and all I could think about after a certain point (around 2:17) was "it's dwarves, not dwarfs." :)

Hi all!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(Nice to see ya, PtB! :wave: )
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Hey, PtB! Good to see ya!
I'm such a horrible person. I watched that video, and all I could think about after a certain point (around 2:17) was "it's dwarves, not dwarfs."
I'm just as bad. I get upset when I see people write "Middle-Earth" instead of "Middle-earth".
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oop! I do that one sometimes. Middle-Earth looks more "right".
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

It does. And it is such a minor, petty thing to get upset about!

(At least you don't write "Middle Earth". Now THAT would be unacceptable. ;))
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:wave: Hi PtB - good to see you round here again!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

This is based on pure speculation (as apparently the user who inputted the date admits), but it is still exciting to see a date listed:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hobbi ... ay/123354/
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Guess this is the best place for this interview for Digital Spy, though there's not much about the EE, still some interesting comments from RA...

Richard Armitage looks back on The Hobbit and forward to Hannibal

Are there any cut scenes that you're particularly keen for fans to see in the extended edition?
"Yeah, there's a big funeral scene which was cut from the final film, and I know they were quite upset that that had to be lost, so I'm looking forward to seeing that. There's also a fantastic chariot chase during the battle - they built this incredible chariot with a crossbow on the back, and I think we had Dwalin and Balin and a couple of the other dwarves on the chariot. I heard a sneaky rumour that they may do a limited cinema release just because some of the footage is so epic, and WETA Digital have been working like crazy to get it finished."
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought this was the most interesting quote:
.... had it been two films I'm sure a lot of the meat of Thorin's journey would have ended up on the cutting room floor, because there just wouldn't have been enough time to deal with all of the characters and all of Thorin's arc in detail. So in a way it's a godsend that it was three films, because there was plenty of time to re-investigate the end of Thorin's journey, the end of his life, the descent into madness, the corruption of the gold, his relationship with Bilbo - there's so much in there.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

A bit more on the chariot scene, in RA's EMPIRE interview...
As you will see in the extended edition, because there's a big chariot chase where they're pulled by goats. When we realised that sequence wasn't going to be in the movie, I know Graham McTavish was extremely disappointed, because it's such a great sequence. It's Ken Stott as Balin driving and Graham and Kili and Fili firing what's effectively a Gatling gun off the back.
And in the HMV interview he feels PJ at least has reached the end of the road with Tolkien screen adaptations.
The last time we spoke you said this will be the last time Middle Earth will appear on screen, do you think that's still the case?

“I certainly think that's the case for Peter Jackson, I don't know if he will revisit it. I feel like all of the properties from the Tolkien estate that are available to be made into films have been done now, so unless something changes there I think that's probably it. I personally would love to see The Silmarillion but I have a feeling that it would just be too much for a movie. Unless Marvel got hold of it, then who knows?!”
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Hi all. Been very busy with work, which has included a significant amount of travel. Add to that the simple fact that we've come to the end of PJ's Tolkien adaptations, and a new exciting series that I'm interested in (the Star Wars sequel trilogy), and it has become hard to find the time to contribute much any more. I hope to pop in from time to time, but don't expect to be nearly as present than in the past. However, as BOFA:EE news starts to percolate, I will try to find some time to show up and hurl equal amounts criticism and praise at PJ's choices.

Hope all is well. And RIP to Andrew Lesnie.

- PtB
Voronwë the Faithful

Do pop in when you can. I'm interested in your thoughts not only on the BotFA EE, but also the new Star Wars films. And anything else you choose to comment on!
Passdagas the Brown

Thanks, V! I consider you all friends, so I'll try to pop in for that reason as well (not just when I have something enlightening or irritating to say about PJ and JJ). :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Nice to cya, PtB. :wave:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

yovargas wrote:Nice to cya, PtB. :wave:
Likewise, yov!

:wave:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yup - you've been missed, PtB...don't wander too far! :hug:

Here's something to get your teeth into, in the meantime!

(yeah, I know it's not really the right thread, but as we're all here... ;) )
~Diana Cortes