Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks, elengil. I don't think it is. It's neither Hainish nor Orsinian, and set in "real" USA in the near-future. Or near future at the time of writing, so approximately now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I haven’t even heard about it!! I thought you were being all tongue-in-cheek in your post earlier.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Thanks, elengil. I don't think it is. It's neither Hainish nor Orsinian, and set in "real" USA in the near-future. Or near future at the time of writing, so approximately now.
Well, thanks to looking through lists of her books, I think I just found one that has eluded me for ages! The Beginning Place! I'll have to read that one again, now that I've found it :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I thought perhaps you were making it up as if it SHOULD be one of her books. :P
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:I haven’t even heard about it!! I thought you were being all tongue-in-cheek in your post earlier.
Would I do such a thing? :twisted:

No, it's a real book. The treatment of the protagonist and her husband by the state is reminiscent of real-world experience of Soviet dissidents, but everything is much bleaker. It's a real dystopia, there is no hopeful ending, except that apparently some elder Atlantean race is awakening in the deeps as the sea rises.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ll make a note not to read it. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I thought perhaps you were making it up as if it SHOULD be one of her books. :P
See, Frelga? So yes, you would. ;)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:No, it's a real book. The treatment of the protagonist and her husband by the state is reminiscent of real-world experience of Soviet dissidents, but everything is much bleaker. It's a real dystopia, there is no hopeful ending, except that apparently some elder Atlantean race is awakening in the deeps as the sea rises.
Is there any possibility it was by a different author?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think it might be The New Atlantis.

I am not up for a reread of it. It makes me think of the sign at a bookstore that said that due to recent events, dystopian SF has been moved into a non-fiction section.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I think it might be The New Atlantis.

I am not up for a reread of it. It makes me think of the sign at a bookstore that said that due to recent events, dystopian SF has been moved into a non-fiction section.
Yeah... I remember that picture :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I actually might like to reread The Dispossessed. Le Guin is one of the few authors who truly fleshed out a society with an alternative family structure and one that is not hierarchical in nature. And she did it better than Heinlein.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That is one of my fav LeGuin book. Very close to being the favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:That is one of my fav LeGuin book. Very close to being the favorite.
It's a heavier read than the Earthsea or the Left Hand of the Darkness (which I think is her masterpiece), but it's fascinating. She is not falling into the trap of presenting something that is (arguably) better than the current society as being perfect. The new order fixes some problems, creates others, and there are always some people who do not fit in in either the old or the new system.

Actually, if we could find the time to do a book club type discussion, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooh, I would love to.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Le Guin's books would be great fodder for a virtual study group of the type we created on TORC. That was fabulous, but mostly because participants really committed to the process.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was today years old when I found out that Stacey Abrams published a number of steamy romance novels as Selena Montgomery.
https://www.harpercollins.com/blogs/aut ... montgomery

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Is that really a real thing?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The TIME had this inside it last week (I’ll type it up and post it sometime)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I shall brazenly display my ignorance by admitting I've heard of neither Stacey Abrams nor Selena Montgomery.

Enlighten me, Precioussss.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Inanna, no need to type it all out - just take pics and post them.