Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Elentári wrote: ETA: Sorry, a bit big! I also have the jigaw of the Zodiac/Planets series they collaborated on:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/537476536750625389/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/537476536750625388/
I really like that Earth Element one...

I'm very glad! :) Just realized, if you scroll further down the page in that link you can see some more of their work for that series...and the Zodiac/Precious Stones series are here. It's interesting to see that Roger (presumably?) continued to use the idea of the Sun and Moon being in ship-like vessels in some of these images...

ETA: In case you are interested, their son, Seth is also a talented artist, specializing in Surrealism...
Last edited by Elentári on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Of course, the Cor Blok website describes better than I could, the reason I prefer his artwork (and that of others such as Garland) to the more literally-minded stuff:
Cor Blok manages to deftly sidestep the slavery to mere representation that most fantasy artists fall foul of. Anyone who has read Tolkiens’ On Fairy Stories and letters to Pauline Baynes can see why Tolkien appreciated a more abstract, graphic and symbolic approach to illustrating his work, and understood how representational images provide a too limiting version of something.
There is an innate truth in that, and I wonder if it is linked to the psychology that children are naturally more receptive and accepting of abstract representations of subjects in art. One only has to look at a sample of children's book illustrations to see that a realistic style is hardly a pre-requisite, and I think a Cor Blok illustrated "Hobbit" would work very well in that genre. Yet I find his style harder to accept for the 'more adult' Lord of the Rings. Perhaps are we become older it generally becomes more important for us to be able to readily identify with what is portrayed in illustrations. I don't think the "Renaissance" style of Giancola is any more wrong for Tolkien than the Renaissance artists who painted Biblical scenes in the style and settings of their time...it's all about communicating with your audience, isn't it? And as we are all different, there needs to be a style for everyone!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think one should be able to tell by looking at a painting or picture in isolation, what the subject was. I doubt anyone would know, by simply looking at a Cor Blok picture, that it was in any way Tolkien related, unless told so. Tolkien was perfectly entitled to like Cor Blok's artwork, and I am equally entitled to think they are dreadful. Tolkien's opinion does not trump mine.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Oh, talking of Tolkien-illustrators?

I love Ted Nasmith's paintings, especially the landscape ones. And also the ones which depict major events. Like the kin-slaying:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... alonde.jpg

And this is possibly my favorite visualization of Morgoth. And his battle with Fingolfin: http://tednasmith.mymiddleearth.com/201 ... of-noldor/

I also like Alan Lee's artwork. And some of John Howe's too.

I like some of Cor Blok's paintings - not all.
For example, this one: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/ima ... rnburg.jpg
It's not realistic of course, but it gives you the impression that the painting was drawn long ago, possibly in the very time-period when the battle occured.

Besides, I also love many of the Stephen Hickman's paintings. Yes, I love that one PtB. The siege of Gondor.

Okay, recently Jian Guo's stained-glass technique has become one of my absolute favorites. It just feels very suitable for Tolkien.

http://prettyawfulthings.files.wordpres ... 6qfqol.jpg

Here are more: http://breathing2004.deviantart.com/gallery/

(not all are Tolkien. I guess he is not an "official" illustrator. :D)

Finally, my favorite artwork is of course from Tolkien himself.
I mean, I haven't seen anyone drawing mountains like these: http://esl-voices.com/wp-content/upload ... obbit..png
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:I think one should be able to tell by looking at a painting or picture in isolation, what the subject was. I doubt anyone would know, by simply looking at a Cor Blok picture, that it was in any way Tolkien related, unless told so.
While I don't dislike Blok as art, I gotta agree that looking at them makes me wonder why it's considered "Tolkien art".
Okay, recently Jian Guo's stained-glass technique has become one of my absolute favorites. It just feels very suitable for Tolkien.

I love these!!!!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

I haven't noticed Joan Wyatt being mentioned. I'm not sure about Tolkien art because I find it difficult to separate the art from the Tolkien. Joan Wyatt's paintings are not exceptional as art, IMO, but her album was one of the first contributions by "other minds and hands" that I came across and I still have her book.

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I bought that book not all that long ago, Gorthaur! I agree with your summary, also. Some of her paintings I like, others not so much.
Smaug's voice wrote:Okay, recently Jian Guo's stained-glass technique has become one of my absolute favorites. It just feels very suitable for Tolkien.

I love that artist's work too! I really adore his(?) designs for the LotR covers, and I kinda think Tolkien would approve also!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/ ... 6gtao2.jpg

His "stained glass" style designs are reminiscent of Tolkien's own heraldic emblems, in a way...I think they would work marvellously interleaved in a special edition of The Silmarillion, and I can just visualize this in a larger format edition of TH, perhaps aimed at the younger end of the market: (I love the fact that the Dwarves are recognizable from the movie version!)

~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote: ETA2: I would add a lot of the work by David Day for the Tolkien Bestiary to my favorites list.
Which illustrations in particular, PtB, since David Day didn't actual do any of them, he wrote the text! ( There's a index of the illustrations opposite the title page) As a point of interest, some of my favourite Linda Garland First Age illustrations are given a double-page spread - Destruction of the Great Lamps, The Thousand Caves of Menegroth, etc

Oops! I didn't realize that. Not having the book in front of me, I can say that I loved the black and white drawings (those intricate dwarves are especial favorites), whoever produced the dragon on the cover (and other beasts in that style) and a number of the landscapes, which seemed to be a mix of Tolkien and Garland.
Passdagas the Brown

Alatar wrote:I think one should be able to tell by looking at a painting or picture in isolation, what the subject was. I doubt anyone would know, by simply looking at a Cor Blok picture, that it was in any way Tolkien related, unless told so. Tolkien was perfectly entitled to like Cor Blok's artwork, and I am equally entitled to think they are dreadful. Tolkien's opinion does not trump mine.
Of course not! But you are more fair-minded about taste than many in fandom, based on my own experience. On a few other sites (a while back) I was told multiple times that I was either a pre-pubescent idiot, or an insufferable snob, for enjoying Blok's artwork. His stuff really fires up my imagination, rather than supplants it. That's me. And for some reason, that's difficult or impossible to accept for some people.

I will forever be baffled by the insistence, by many, that the quality of art should be defined by strict rules of draftsmanship. I know for a fact that Blok can draw very realistic figures, and is even classically-trained, but he certainly breaks those arbitrary rules.

Like it or not, it's art and is most certainly Tolkien art. His Hornburg and Amon Hen say more to me about those passages in the book than any other representation.

That said, the only place where he comes close to violating my imagination is through the use of strangely modern hats and masks for some of the more mysterious characters. I would prefer less detail in his characters, actually.

This is not to say I don't occasionally crave the more literal stuff from Lee or Nasmith. Those works satiate a less profound appetite for me. They are like a good hamburger, while Blok is like a mind-blowing filet minon.

For me, of course! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Elentári wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote: ETA2: I would add a lot of the work by David Day for the Tolkien Bestiary to my favorites list.
Which illustrations in particular, PtB, since David Day didn't actual do any of them, he wrote the text! ( There's a index of the illustrations opposite the title page) As a point of interest, some of my favourite Linda Garland First Age illustrations are given a double-page spread - Destruction of the Great Lamps, The Thousand Caves of Menegroth, etc

Oops! I didn't realize that. Not having the book in front of me, I can say that I loved the black and white drawings (those intricate dwarves are especial favorites), whoever produced the dragon on the cover (and other beasts in that style) and a number of the landscapes, which seemed to be a mix of Tolkien and Garland.
Ah right...well the heavily detailed dwarves and dragons, including I presume the front cover since it is in a similar style, are by Ian Miller; I particularly like the b/w drawings of the Gondorians and Rhohirrim by John Davis. Interestingly, many of the lighter pencil sketches were done by Victor Ambrus - the TIME TEAM resident artist!
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

His stuff really fires up my imagination, rather than supplants it.
Which is why it's art and not just illustration. Like most of the people we're discussing.

*dons fireproof suit*
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Having never heard of Cor Blok, I just looked him up. I'm not a fan of his characters, but he does have some good landscapes and other zoomed-out views. Similar to my feelings on Nasmith despite their very different styles.

I like these two:
Passdagas the Brown

Amon Hen (the first one) and his Hornburg (see link below) are his best. IMO, they are two of the best Tolkien-themed artworks in existence.

http://img-fan.theonering.net/~rolozo/i ... rnburg.jpg
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Except those super-sweet "glass" pieces up above, right? :poke:
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

axordil wrote:
His stuff really fires up my imagination, rather than supplants it.
Which is why it's art and not just illustration. Like most of the people we're discussing.

*dons fireproof suit*
You won't see any flames from me (and I agree that most Tolkien art is illustration, while Blok clearly leans in the direction of the fine arts) but I still believe such distinctions are ultimately arbitrary. If someone thinks the cartoon of Tony the Tiger on the Frosted Flakes box is art, rather than a commercial cartoon, do I have strong grounds for refuting his assessment? No, not really. Artistic taste is deeply and truly relative, no matter our instincts for turning up our noses (which I admit to being guilty of from time to time, though I try to keep it private).
Passdagas the Brown

yovargas wrote:Except those super-sweet "glass" pieces up above, right? :poke:
I enjoy those, but IMO, they don't even come close. Too cartoonish and more of an elaborate illustration than a piece of art.

*takes axordil's fireproof jacket and flees*
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

No, you're too cartoonish. Hmph. Image

So good!
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You really don't think that is cartoonish? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I think it's both cartoonish AND perilously close to art. :) The layout and balance are both outstanding.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't see any reason why the two things would be mutually exclusive. It is not at all to my taste, but I can see why others would like it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."