Diana Galbaldon's Outlander

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yeah, it's the nitty-gritty stuff. I also find that very interesting - must have taken quite a bit of research and putting herself in the spot to get that level of realism.

The romance-side is occasionally too-too, as I said above; not gratuitous, exactly, but perhaps takes up too much space on the page :P , and is a let down compared to the realism in the rest of the story.

Al, what's Cross-stitch? (will google in a second, so probably shouldn't post the question, but too late now).

ETA: Eh-heh! First book in the series. That's one of the problems with reading on the Kindle; I rarely look at the cover, and so tend to forget the title of the book (and the name of the author). Also, I bought the whole Outlander series (except the last book) as a bundle for $20, so I have them all in one volume, which is just called The Outlander Bundle. I'd forgotten the title, Cross Stitch, completely.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

In the U.S. the first book is called Outlander. And for some reason I have two copies of it. :scratch: So I guess I've only read four of them. (The two copies have different covers.)

I got a Kindle deal on the first one and took it, and I may dig back in that way. I do find the Kindle really useful for reading large books! And long series such as Patrick O'Brian—it's nice to read straight from the end of one book to the beginning of the next without getting up to go hunt down a book that's probably not where I left it two years ago.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The Kindle has been invaluable to me when traveling...and certainly while I am in Africa. I love that you can adjust the size of the print. And I have a case with an integrated light, so I never need to worry about whether the reading light is bright enough, or if I am disturbing someone else by having the light on.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The Kindle paperwhite has saved my sanity. I can indulge after Irika has gone to sleep, lying next to her. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I love to snuggle up in the dark and read for a while before I go to sleep, and so does Mr. Prim. It is just so peaceful. It's a lovely way to ease into sleepiness. I think it also helps to go to sleep with a story in my head rather than frets about the day, or about tomorrow.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Absolutely... :)

ETA: so I've put a hold on the series' book 1 and 2 on NYPL. Yayyyy - a new author, a new series.

I am reading Amelia Peabody right now... thanks to the person who recommended that one (sorry, don't remember who it was).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I love that series—another new one! It's been awhile since I read one, but I'm hoping to have TWO (separate) WEEKS at the beach this summer, so. . . .
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Diana Galbaldon's Outlander

So, I didn't realize this, but the showrunner for Outlander is Ronald D. Moore, who also ran the reboot of Battlestar Galactica—a brilliant, unrelenting piece of television, with superb writing and acting. My interest in Outlander has spiked even higher.

The first episode will be available online this Saturday, August 2nd. The run on Starz premieres the following Saturday.

The story on EW.com:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/11/outla ... ine-early/
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

So - I finally started reading this and while I think it is a fun read, I am realising after getting about half-way through it that nothing really happens.

I mean, the premise is kinda of cool, but it's not really an adventure story, is it? More like a series of historical events, with this woman from the future narrating it for you. I keep waiting for there to be some kind of denouement or climax to the story, but I think it's more like Jane Austen Goes to Scotland. A costume, period drama...an observation.

I don't find them particularly "racy" - I mean there IS sex and yada yada yada, but she's enjoying herself and it's with her husband, so, not that big a deal.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So I watched the first episode. Looked pretty good, if a bit of a "bodice-ripper". Nice to see Graham McTavish in there. However, the one thing I couldn't get over was how much the two leads looked like James Herriot and his missus!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

JS, about halfway in the first book?

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Inanna wrote:JS, about halfway in the first book?
About 2/3 through book one.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Alatar, that's eerie!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

JewelSong wrote:
Inanna wrote:JS, about halfway in the first book?
About 2/3 through book one.
Stick to it. Seriously.

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Oh, I am finishing it...about 4/5 of the way through now. It's a fun read. But no real story, AFAIC!

Lots more sex, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So, did anyone end up watching it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I did, and will continue when season 1 resumes. It's well done. The sex is pretty definite but is more discreet than the book. There are some possible triggers for sensitive people that might have more impact on the screen than in the book. But I was impressed by the writing and acting, by the camera work and locations, and by the overall drive of the story. The music is also fine, I thought.

And it's nothing like as grim as Battlestar Galactica! There's a level of humor I appreciate.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I will check if it's on demand!

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, and Jamie is easy to look at. :D
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Primula Baggins wrote:There are some possible triggers for sensitive people that might have more impact on the screen than in the book.
Related to sex or violence?