The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The love theme is gorgeous. And yes, nostalgia helps. I think one of the attractions is that it's a film in which all children/a mixed group can find something to enjoy and yet it's not too childish for an adult to watch with them.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We weren't in the US when Princess Bride was released, and it was gone from theaters when we came back to the US- so we were years late in discovering it. Even so, we were thoroughly captivated by the movie when we finally saw it. I think it's a great story, and we re-watch it every decade or so. What's not to like?
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

While I don't think it's necessary, nostalgia is definitely part of the reason I love The Princess Bride so much. It was a tradition to watch it every summer with church youth group friends at the big annual get-together, which I have a lot of fond memories of. My first time watching it as a (young) adult, after a gap of probably about five years, I wasn't sure if I would still like it, but if anything I liked it even more, getting more of the jokes. I like the writing and performances, it's funny, it's sweet, it has a delightful spirit of adventure ... given the kind of story it is, I don't really feel the need for more.

It's been several years now since the last time I saw it; I should give it another watch sometime. I also didn't know Mark Knopfler wrote the music. That's a fun factoid. :D
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Does anyone recall the movie 'Tuck Everlasting' with Alexis Bledel, Ben Kingsley and Sissy Spacek? It's from the same era but it has a different vibe.. bittersweet.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I think part of the reason I"m not smitten with The Princess Bride is because I lack the nostalgia of having seen it at a younger age. I watched it for the first time this year, at a time when I am finally able to watch actual not-quite-so-misogynistic movies, and at an age where I no longer care to support blatantly skewed portrayals of women.

I had a similarly curmudgeonly reaction when I saw the Nutcracker Ballet recently, and watched the magician hover over the sleeping Clara and put dreams into her head, so that she run off into the woods with a stranger at least twice her age, for dancing and cuddling up together under a blanket in a sleigh (remember, she's young enough to still be interested in dolls). It was a little creepy. But now, three weeks later, I still have the lovely music wandering thru my head.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Princess Bride Misogynistic?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is that really how the Barbie movie starts? :O
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

It's the real teaser trailer, but I'd be surprised if the 2001 references are part of the film itself, which will be released next year.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

A Christmas movie I really love is Blizzard. It's one of those movies I never tire of - some people make watching 'It's a Wonderful Life' a Christmas tradition. For me, it's this movie!

It has one similarity to the Princess Bride - a family member narrates the story to a younger person, but in this case, both are females. Yes, it's fantasy - reindeer fly, and have other magical powers, but I just love it. The one thing that's a bit jarring is at the start of the movie, where Santa Claus (played by Christopher Plummer) is portrayed as quite deaf, and keeps misinterpreting what he's being told. They play this for laughs, but for the rest of the movie, his hearing seems to work just fine!

Anyone else love this movie? :love:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd never heard of it but I gave it a watch tonight. A little corny, but sweet, just as a kids holiday movie should be. I enjoyed 'Aunt Millie'.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I thought perhaps you were referring to another movie (or two) I've seen about a young girl and a reindeer but I haven't seen them in ages and couldn't remember the name of the movies. I found one: Prancer, the other movie I can't remember enough of it to find but it was a fairly realistic movie about a girl in the far North with some sort of struggle.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:10 am I'd never heard of it but I gave it a watch tonight. A little corny, but sweet, just as a kids holiday movie should be. I enjoyed 'Aunt Millie'.
Exactly!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Irika & I watched “Christmas with the Kranks” for laughs two days ago. I had read the book (Skipping Christmas) some years ago, and this was a fun adaptation.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Boringly, I agree with pretty much everyone else - a remarkable spectacle but a thin and contrived plot that repeats a lot of the beats of the first film. If you do see it, see it on the biggest screen you can.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We don't watch a lot of TV or movies, but with the recent bad weather & nothing else to do we decided to watch a few movies. Last night we watched Where the Crawdads sing after I was intrigued by the book and some reviews- both good and bad. The film didn't capture all the book conveyed but we enjoyed it/hubby liked it. After reading a bit about the authors history I find it even more intriguing.

Tonight we watched The Hundred Foot Journey with Helen Mirren and Manish Dayal. We found it a heartwarming little story.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Watched Glass Onion and was thoroughly entertained for 2 hours. Highly recommend.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior

Post by SilverScribe »

:wave: everybody!

Alas, with a crushing work schedule and then the Covid pandemic, it had been far too long since I darkened the doors of a true movie theatre . . . and sadly, I still can't bring myself to venture into the dark with a crowd of strangers. :P

I did however, catch a (total surprise) movie on Crave TV just before I had to pack up and move house last year - it was "The Good Liar" with Sir Ian McKellen and Dame Helen Mirren - and yes, those names drew me in right away. ;)

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS . . . with everything I love about this type of tale - clean humour, oodles of suspense and an ending I did not see coming. :love:

Yeah, I've been living under a rock for a few years . . . LOL.
~.~
Actions speak louder than words, but on a messageboard, "you are what you type . . ."
~.~
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Avatar Way of Water. Yes, as a story its average, but as an action movie and technological achievement its unmissable.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We rewatched "The Princess Bride" on New Year's Eve. It was a spur of the moment decision to keep ourselves awake until midnight, but we didn't check the movie length or anything. Anyway... it worked out that just as Princess Buttercup was jumping out the window, I checked the time.... and it was midnight! Right on the nose! :D We couldn't have timed that better if we'd tried. :D