There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Double confirmation! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

And in response to receiving his MTV Award (see Awards thread) Orlando had this to say about what to expect in TABA...

http://youtu.be/_VB8Mdgbf3E

"The new Hobbit can only get better....more Orc vs Elf and more Dwarf vs Dragon."
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

"The new Hobbit can only get better....more Orc vs Elf and more Dwarf vs Dragon."
Everyone's favorite things about DoS! :roll:
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Kzer_za beat me to it. <sigh>
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I just hope the "more Dwarf vs Dragon" is referring to the Dwarves left in Lake-Town...not the Bo5A
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Or that Orlando is simply as clueless as he seems to be.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Or did he mean to say elf vs. dragon, referring to his epic ride on an arrow-riddled Smaug?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

In Dec, yovargas wrote:I hope Sauron shows up riding Smaug and then Leggy and Tauriel do sweet backflips onto Smaug's back and then they have a bad-ass three way sword fight on Smaug's back while Smaug's flying around burning stuff. That's what I hope.
I have reason to believe that PJ read this post and got some ideas. 8)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Thanks yov. It's nice to be able to blame someone directly, especially someone you know.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:
In Dec, yovargas wrote:I hope Sauron shows up riding Smaug and then Leggy and Tauriel do sweet backflips onto Smaug's back and then they have a bad-ass three way sword fight on Smaug's back while Smaug's flying around burning stuff. That's what I hope.
I have reason to believe that PJ read this post and got some ideas. 8)
More reasons to avoid the movies. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

kzer_za wrote:
Everyone's favorite things about DoS! :roll:
Well, actually, I was hoping for more goblins.

NOT.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

Do we need to change the title of this thread to the "Into the Fire" anticipation thread?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04 ... -the-fire/

(Please, Eru, no.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Ugh.

It is amazing to me how totally disconnected I feel from these movies…compared to LOTR. Somebody recently posted a clip from the EE on Facebook…where Pippin is looking for Merry after the battle and finally finds him. And when Éomer finds his sister, cold and still after her battle with the Witch King and weeps in anguish.

I got tears in my eyes. It moved me, even that little clip. I cared about the characters.

With these "hobbit" movies, I just…don't. It just isn't "The Hobbit." All the charm and whimsy of that lovely book has been eradicated in favour of stupid orc battles and Legolas swinging his sword around and special effects for the sake of special effects and...

Pity, really.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

JewelSong wrote:Somebody recently posted a clip from the EE on Facebook…where Pippin is looking for Merry after the battle and finally finds him.
I love that scene. :cry:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

AAARGGHH!!!

I am seriously ticked off now! This better be false. Or they are going to wake up the dragon.
:x

Where's the pitchforks or witch-hunt smiley???

ETA: I do see the reason why WB'S might consider changing it.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Bah, humbug.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Me???
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh Good Grief! :x

Do we need to have "Fire" in every title these days...just to attract the HG audience???
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
JewelSong wrote:Somebody recently posted a clip from the EE on Facebook…where Pippin is looking for Merry after the battle and finally finds him.
I love that scene. :cry:
I like that scene too, but it pales next to the scene when Thorin and Balin re-enter Erebor. Everything about the latter scene is superior, the writing, the directing and most of all the acting.

I'm fairly confident that there is no truth to the suggestion that the title is going to change, although honestly care all that much. If the emotional scenes to come are done as well as the one that I reference above, they can call it "The Hobbit: The Search for Cash" for all I care.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

There
must be a reason most people here prefer the LR films to TH I believe

I just saw the FotR EE today. The two don't compare.

And I care because I am tired of the cashgrab associated with this
production. The tirtle change is plainly for the purpose of that.
TH is a story that demeans greed ironically. Moreover, it infers that
the story is no more about Bilbo's homecoming. But of Thorin's angst.